C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:31 PM
84Whitebird
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default power antenna

next project is the power antenna. 84 has an aftermarket radio in the Bose system. It seems to have the correct interface for that system. BUT, the antenna does not go up and down. It is always up. Would be fine with putting a separate switch in to run it up and down. found the antenna wires under the rear cover. I assume the pink is the power line and black is the ground. Has anyone done this and how did you do it? Thanks again in advance.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:52 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you found the Antenna Relay under the hatch rear cover? It has a 3-wire connector going to the radio and a 2-wire connector coming from the radio along with a black ground wire.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:21 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Whitebird
It seems to have the correct interface for that system. BUT, the antenna does not go up and down. It is always up.
Is there a problem with the antenna, or has it been disconnected? The pink wire at the antenna relay should have 12 v. with ignition and radio on. The org should have 12 v. at all times.

Some would suggest a switch on the pink wire, to have your antenna stay down. I put a switch in my '84 on the org wire. This allows me to put the antenna at any height (including full down), and leave it there, or have it work automatic. A switch on the pink does NOT let you put the antenna at an intermediate position. I don't like the constant up-down-up-down-up-down etc.

If you decide to do the org wire switch, you only need one wire from the antenna relay to the switch in your console. There's another org wire in your console circuit that goes to the same CTSY/CLK fuse. Connect one side of your switch to that org wire in the console.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 AM
84Whitebird
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

found the antenna wire group under the hatch cover. Pink, White Black it looks to me. Does have the Bose system. Do not see a relay. There is a connection with 2, 3 wires sets going in. One set is the pink, white, black. There is also a pink and a black wire running thru the grommet to the antenna area. At the connector, the pink seems to be hot at all times. Black seems to be ground. I assume the other is the switched wire you were talking about. Not sure how to proceed from this point. Will try to find the wires as in the diagram

Last edited by 84Whitebird; 08-10-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:32 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

found the antenna wire group under the hatch cover. Pink, White Black it looks to me. Does have the Bose system. Do not see a relay. There is a connection with 2, 3 wires sets going in. One set is the pink, white, black. There is also a pink and a black wire running thru the grommet to the antenna area. At the connector, the pink seems to be hot at all times. Black seems to be ground. I assume the other is the switched wire you were talking about. Not sure how to proceed from this point. Will try to find the wires as in the diagram
First you want to make sure your antenna motor is going to work. So if you got to the connector under the rear hatch trim (not in the storage compartment where the relay is) unplug it. You want to run a jumper from black to ground (chassis) then jump 12V to hot wire & 12V to the switched wire. Your antenna should cycle up and down all the way when 12V is applied to the switch wire then removed. Once you know if the antenna will operate then you can put a switch in near the relay. When I did this to my "96 the antenna was stuck in the up position all I heard was a clicking sound from the antenna motor so I knew I had to replace the antenna. Do this with the engine off so you can here if the antenna motor is doing anything.

Last edited by pacoW; 08-10-2018 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
84Whitebird (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Do not see a relay. There is also a pink and a black wire running thru the grommet to the antenna area.
If you don't see a relay, and you have only two wires going to the antenna motor, somebody's done a redesign of your antenna system! You'll need to remove your antenna motor to determine if it's a two wire motor, or if there are three wires into the motor assembly. Obviously, the original '84 system used the three wire system.

Originally Posted by pacoW
You want to run a jumper from black to ground (chassis) then jump 12V to hot wire & 12V to the switched wire. Your antenna should cycle up and down all the way when 12V is applied to the switch wire then removed.
pacoW, your description is correct if he has an antenna relay, but if he has no relay, and his motor has only two wires, how the h*** is the motor going to run in the opposite direction???

Whitebird, is there a possibility the PO installed a switch somewhere to control the antenna? It would need to be a three position switch for up-off-down. That's the only way a two wire circuit to your antenna motor could have been "redesigned". The switch (DPDT) would need to be wired to reverse the polarity of the wires for changing direction. If the switch was left "on", and the motor was continuously getting 12 v. it would probably burn out! A "momentary up/off/momentary down" switch would be the best, if someone did that redesign! If a momentary switch was used, you wouldn't have a continuous 12 v. on the two wires to your motor.

Get notified of new replies

To power antenna

Quick Reply: power antenna