C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Passenger side window

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:37 PM
daca55
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side window

I have a 1994 convertible and today took it out for a drive and pushed button on drivers side to lower both windows. When I got to where I was going I pushed button again to raise the windows and they both went up. I went for lunch and when I came back to my car I started it up and pushed button to lower windows, Only the drivers side went down. Tried restarting car and opening closing door and it wouldn't work. The drivers side window works fine. Looking for some suggestions on how to resolve and what it might be, Neither switch will work to get passenger window to come down. Appreciate all replies.
Bob
Old 08-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There is a mechanism called a "window regulator" it's a motor attached to a movable framework inside the door that the window glass attaches to. Chances are that the motor has burned out and you need to take apart the inner door and replace the window regulator assembly. This is a DYI project. the regulator costs around $200.00 +- and it the novice should be able to replace it over a weekend.

Use the search function and look for posts with "replace window regulator" in the title or "door panel removal" the instructions are slightly different for drivers door vs. passenger side door. Also there are some vids on utube. If you are old and have a poor memory like me it really really helps to take lots of pictures and label both ends of connectors when you take things apart

This was just before I pulled the old regulator out.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:53 AM
stabac
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you find it to be the motor and decide to replace only the motor I have a new, in the box, never been opened. After buying it I decided to replace the entire regulator and never got around to trying to return it. I purchased it for a 1985 cpe, driver side. If you find it to be the one you need PM me with the best price you find and I'm sure we can work something out to benefit both of us.
I'm not sure if left/right are the same motor, if cpe is the same as conv, or the years are the same. I've attached a pic of the label
Old 08-11-2018, 02:59 PM
stabac
Racer

Originally Posted by stabac

If you find it to be the motor and decide to replace only the motor I have a new, in the box, never been opened. After buying it I decided to replace the entire regulator and never got around to trying to return it. I purchased it for a 1985 cpe, driver side. If you find it to be the one you need PM me with the best price you find and I'm sure we can work something out to benefit both of us.
I'm not sure if left/right are the same motor, if cpe is the same as conv, or the years are the same. I've attached a pic of the label
Sorry this is not a fit for your '94
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-846...Lift%2520Motor
Old 08-11-2018, 03:28 PM
daca55
Cruising

Originally Posted by stabac
Sorry this is not a fit for your '94
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-846...Lift%2520Motor
Thanks for the replies. I found Mr. Peabody's to be most helpful to the point that I positioned my car in the garage so I could work on door. Before I got started I thought I will try the window one more time. I did it by just turning the ignition switch on and it still didn't work. I then decided to start the car up and after the car was running I tried the window and it worked. I tried it several times with engine running and not running and it stilled worked. This happened a few years ago with the same result i.e. it started working. Got to be a connection that is heat sensitive because it was really hot yesterday and I am wondering if that had anything to do with it. Today it is much cooler in my garage. I'm thinking it is only a matter of time before what ever is causing it to stop working will quit completely and then I will be looking at repair. Till then I hope I get another several years again before it decides to quit working again. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

One thing to keep in mind (and others may disagree) but in my view it is much easier to replace the regulator assembly if the window regulator fails in the UP position rather in the full down position. In the down position the three "connectors" that hold the glass to the regulator framework end up being inside the shell of the lower door frame and much more difficult to get to and loosen. I don't believe that there is any way to remove the regulator assembly without first detaching the window glass and getting it out of the way.
The following users liked this post:
ckreider33 (04-08-2024)
Old 08-12-2018, 03:27 PM
daca55
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
One thing to keep in mind (and others may disagree) but in my view it is much easier to replace the regulator assembly if the window regulator fails in the UP position rather in the full down position. In the down position the three "connectors" that hold the glass to the regulator framework end up being inside the shell of the lower door frame and much more difficult to get to and loosen. I don't believe that there is any way to remove the regulator assembly without first detaching the window glass and getting it out of the way.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I am sure the day will come when I will have to replace regulator assembly.

Bob
Old 08-12-2018, 03:33 PM
stabac
Racer

I'm still fighting with mine, it fell to the bottom and was a witch to get the glass out. Also if it's up you have greater freedom to mark exactly where the glass is located before taking it out making re-installation much easier..Unfortunately you have no choice in where it's going to break
Old 08-12-2018, 08:42 PM
sedgwick24
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When the one in my old impala failed, i cut the wire that the motor actually moves. If your having to replace it might as well make it easy. With the wire cut, it allows the window to slide free and makes it easier to get to the bolts holding it on.

Not sure if these regulators are the same type but my .02....

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger side window

Quick Reply: Passenger side window