Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

neither, a c6 2008 or later.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:01 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by auggy
neither, a c6 2008 or later.
Not everyone needs or wants a 430HP LS3.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:32 AM
Bigpoop
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I have a 91 ZR1 and a 04 Z06. I love both cars for different reasons. If I had to choose it would be difficult as they are just so different. Please don't get into a technical discussion of the engineering merits. Any Corvette is an emotional decision. We all discuss technology to justify our passion and make ourselves sound more...adult.

The C5 is like a sophisticated older woman who brings you a fine glass of wine, with soft music in the back ground. The C4 is the perky, drunk sorority girl with a shot of tequila blasting The Gap Band. The evening both ends with the same result but the experience of getting there is wildly different. So, what is your mood?

I say drive them both and let your inner "fun meter" take over. It will be easy after that.

Eggs cellent observation. And true. Easy answer...BOTH
Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Norsky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A LOT of good observations have been made in this thread but one in particular stands out in my mind. Forget the early years of ALL generations as each gen has benefited from improvements in quality, technology and performance as they aged. Plus it is unfair to compare the technology of one generation to another IMHO (apples to oranges is never a level playing field). Each new generation never stretched the envelope of the previous one, they replaced it with a bigger envelope!

We owned a '90 ZR-1 for a dozen years and it was an excellent road trip car. I always felt like "Maverick" when I climbed into the cockpit. My best friend owns multiple C5s and I've never had that feeling getting behind the wheel of one of his "babies".

Styling is a VERY subjective topic. Actually neither one of us were fans of the C4 originally but there was something about the ZR-1 that won us over. Have never gotten to the point liking the C5 but know there are many out there who admire it. "Nuff said.

Bottom line is there are (at least) 3 criteria to consider in making your decision:
  1. which car pulls the strongest to your heart and your gut;
  2. which car has the best impact on your wallet (remember to buy the best car you can almost afford, don't settle for a lessor car as they usually end up costing you more in the long run); and probably the most important...
  3. which car tweaks your significant other the most (trust me on this one!)

Don't know how much help my experience has been but best of luck with your purchase. No matter which way you end up going you'll be driving a CORVETTE...!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:16 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

With used Corvettes, the individual car(s) will dictate which one to get; it's hard to directly compare two different USED cars.
As far as looks go, the C4 is the most beautiful car ever designed FROM THE REAR-QUARTER VIEW. From the front it's pretty bad.
The C5 coupe is the opposite: from the front, quarter-front, and side it is gorgeous. From the rear, not so much.
The C5 rear view is still better than the C4 front view.....
There is no "best" in this case, only which one appeals to you more.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:54 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The C5 is more of a GT car, softer ride and more comfortable for long distances. The C4 is more of a real sports car, a bit raw, but the C4 seats are known to be among the best.
So I suspect your wife will appreciate the C5 more than the C4... unless she is a gearhead/sports car/tomboy type of girl.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

This has been great bunch of posts. Thanks ALL

I've owned, C1's C2's, C3's, C4's and C5's . I'd never own another C1, C2 or C3, well maybe another C2 Vert,,,, if I had the space...

My initial recommendation,,, Buy a C4 Vert and your Fav C5 model, mine fav is a Vert or FRC. Me I always buy a manual trans !!

I still have my old C4 Vert and two C5's,,, a '98 Vert and a '04 ZO6 FRC Le Mans edition. They truly are very different cars, and I just can't never ever sell my old C4 Vert. Like most I agree that the C4's are more to a Real Sports car. Their so darn fun to drive, but one must pay attention !!

But you should or might already know that the C4 only has two microprocessor (computer) systems. One is the ECM for the Engine EFI and the second is the ABS for the braking. system. The ECM's can be A PITA and updating the tune is a PITA. Like I wrote I'm Not a fan of these ECM's but I'm spoiled with the newer ECM's. I never had an issue the the ABS system and their very stable. But overall the ECM's are pretty darn stable.

I've always completed all my own Car work, and I find the C4's easy to work on, trouble shoot, and reasonable parts prices. This one is on my Collector policy and the full coverage is unbelievable low. It's fairly easy to upgrade to the C5 / C6 base disc brakes and other areas , exhaust and suspension.

I have Two C'5s and their both great cars. One is a de-badged '98 Indy Pace Car Convert. I really love driving this car, it's sooth, fast and the suspension is, well you just have to drive one. The '04 ZO6 is screaming FAST, and the FRC is a lot more comfortable on any day, This one blows the doors of mt C4 and pretty much the '98. But my LS1 T56 '56 Chevy give it a good run. Still the '98 Vert is such a Blast to drive and the Soft Top is much simpler to stow..

You prob heard this before,, go drive and ride in both the C4 and the C5,,, lots of them !!! If you have any friends with Vette, go spend time with them prior to any purchase. I'd never purchase a Vette from a Specialty Car lot, but you could glean a great deal of info....DRIVE lots of different Vette's and take you time,, It's your money.

If you have a daily driver and purchase a C4 Vert, or certain C5's you may be able to insure on a collector policy. A lot of us Vette owners don't drive their Vette's on a daily basis nor rain or snow. So that's also well worth looking into as daily driver Vette insurance costs can be high. I've gathered a few collector cars over the years and my insurance company has been great !!

Whatever you purchase, I strongly recommend that if you don't have the repair // trouble shooting skills for your new Baby,,,, learn them and do all the work you can. This is a great place to start in this forum. If someone tells you one can drive a Vette or any other modern car into a dealer and they can simply plug your car into a test scanner and find the problem immediate, That's not very likely to happen. But on this site, there's a huge knowledge base and dozens of members willing to help.

Good Luck...
Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Should I buy a C4 or a C5?

Yes, of course you should!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:38 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice analogy