C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

antena

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:58 PM
wmuller150
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antena

I replaced my radio on my 95 with a new Sony. Now the antenna goes up when I turn on the radio and down when I shut off the radio or turn off the key. But when I open the door to get out the antenna goes up again and in about ten seconds it goes back down. Lot of extra wear and tear on the antenna. Any one have a problem like that?
Old 11-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wmuller150
I replaced my radio on my 95 with a new Sony. Now the antenna goes up when I turn on the radio and down when I shut off the radio or turn off the key. But when I open the door to get out the antenna goes up again and in about ten seconds it goes back down. Lot of extra wear and tear on the antenna. Any one have a problem like that?
I would pull out the Sony and recheck the wiring. Aftermarket head units usually have two leads for powering 1. Antenna; 2. External amp. The only thing that comes to mind in your case is the possibility that somehow you didn't ground the radio properly or attached the antenna power on lead incorrectly. There is also a relay for the power antenna located under the rear hatch trim. If you had a Bose system, there is a relay (at least in my 89) that should be disconnected when swapping out the factory head unit for an aftermarket.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:18 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzy Dizzy
If you had a Bose system, there is a relay (at least in my 89) that should be disconnected when swapping out the factory head unit for an aftermarket.
I can't agree with this. There are many people on this forum who have swapped out their original Bose receivers, and their antenna works exactly like it's supposed to, without making the motorized antenna non-functional. The pink wire from your receiver should be the wire with a problem. It should be hot (12 v.) only when both the ignition and the radio are on.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I can't agree with this. There are many people on this forum who have swapped out their original Bose receivers, and their antenna works exactly like it's supposed to, without making the motorized antenna non-functional. The pink wire from your receiver should be the wire with a problem. It should be hot (12 v.) only when both the ignition and the radio are on.

Perhaps my message was confusing so let me try again. I wanted to point out to the OP that there is a relay in the rear for the power antenna so he could check both the relay and the connections to it; and there is another relay (not related to the antenna) for the Bose amps located under the right side of the dash.That relay is discussed in the second video, When installing an aftermarket radio, it is suggested to disconnect the Bose relay to prevent battery drain since one is no longer powering the speaker amps. The pink wire you refer to is the factory power antenna wire that would work in conjunction with the OE head unit's pink wire and not found on an aftermarket head unit. The antenna control wire on aftermarket head units are usually blue or blue with a white stripe and all the ones I've seen have a small label attached to the wire indicating it's purpose. That wire should be connected to the coordinating antenna on wire in the cars harness. I'll look into my notes and post some pictures of the wiring diagrams for both the factory wiring and the aftermarket wiring.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Yep, your comment about the Bose relay confused me. The OP's complaint was about his antenna doing weird things, and the Bose relay doesn't have anything to do with that issue (as you rightly clarified). The Bose relay is controlled by that same pink "antenna relay actuation" wire, which is only hot when both the ignition and the radio are on, so it can't cause a "battery drain" problem either. If you unplug all four speaker amps, the Bose relay isn't doing anything.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Yep, your comment about the Bose relay confused me. The OP's complaint was about his antenna doing weird things, and the Bose relay doesn't have anything to do with that issue (as you rightly clarified). The Bose relay is controlled by that same pink "antenna relay actuation" wire, which is only hot when both the ignition and the radio are on, so it can't cause a "battery drain" problem either. If you unplug all four speaker amps, the Bose relay isn't doing anything.

All good friend!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

1995 Chevrolet Corvette Stereo Wiring Information

Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Radio Ground Wire: Black
Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Stereo Dimmer Wire: Gray/Black
Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Old 11-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Connection Subwoofer*1 ................................. ~ 2 iLJi\. [ White 0 White/black striped = + ®m Front speaker*1*2 Gray 0 Gray/black striped = + ~ID Green 0 Green/black striped = Purple 0 Purple/black striped = + ~ o ... ., ... ,.,.,., + ~ID Black GND ~ Yellow BATTERY O Red ACC O Blue/white striped REM OUT (MAX 0.4A) Orange/white striped ILLUMINATION O + 0 + e + e For details, see "Making + 0 connections· (page 35). + e : •...................•.••.•••..••...•.... ........................................

0 To the power antenna {aerial) control lead or the power supply lead of the antenna {aerial) booster It is not necessary to connect this lead if there is no power antenna (aerial} or antenna (aerial} booster, or with a manually-operated telescopic antenna (aerial}. To AMP REMOTE IN of an optional power amplifier This connection is only for amplifiers and a power antenna (aerial}. Connecting any other system may damage the unit.
The blue//white wire from the Sony is the lead to power on the antenna.

Above from Crutchfield site for Sony car audio. Check your owners manual to verify

Last edited by Izzy Dizzy; 11-10-2018 at 10:23 PM. Reason: more

Get notified of new replies

To antena

Quick Reply: antena