EGR headaches

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Chevellibu72
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR headaches

Hi all,
I have a 1991 l98 turquoise metallic and I've had issues with the egr for a long time. The computer throws the code 32 almost every time I drive. I've replaced the valve, line, and solenoid. A local exhaust shop told me the previous owner took the cats off, and so I'm more or less trying to figure out what to do since the egr pulls from the cats. Believe this is what is causing a rough idle and surging but not 100% sure. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm not sure if your 91 has one or not, but look to see if you have an EGR temperature sensor. It's a wire with a sensor that screws into EGR valve at the base of the EGR valve next to the mounting bolts for the valve. The wire connector attaches near the fire wall behind the passenger side valve cover on my 85. I had multiple EGR check engine codes. The engine also surged a bit at idle. I don't have a catalytic either. I had to replace the EGR valve, the solenoid valve, and the temperature sensor on my 85 to finally eliminate that pesky code 32! The solenoid valve turned out to be the culprit. Replacing all 3 components was cheap enough though and virtually the best option for me to guarantee the problem was corrected. I don't know if the cat missing caused any problems with the code, but I've never had any more EGR codes.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 11-09-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Chevellibu72
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response!
Fairly sure the 91' doesn't have one. I spent a while before trying to find it to no avail. Recently found out that my intake is leaking a bit, so that might be part of it too. The car does like to overheat at stops, and has pretty laggy throttle response to boot, so I guess I've just gotta keep narrowing it down between the two.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If it only throws the code after engine is warm and driving for a while run a 160 deg. T-stat as the ECM does not call for EGR until coolant temp. reaches into the 170 deg. range and steady state driving.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR headaches

Quick Reply: EGR headaches