C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

84 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 PM
GaryInArizona
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 84 Manual

Hi I'm looking at a 84 with manual transmission. Can someone tell me if those are good transmissions? I know they are called a 4+3. I don't know anything about these transmissions so I would appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks.
Gary
Old 12-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Borg Warner super T 10 4 speed with an electric Doug Nash overdrive unit made to it. O/D has separate switches. One to turn it on and a vacuum kick out. You want to make sure 4 speeds shifts and O/D engages with switch and will kick out at WOT. It will feel like a automatic transmission downshift, when you lift O/D should re-engage. Shifter is unique it mounts to body not to transmission.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:18 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This page tells you how the 4+3 works for each year. Note that the '84 version is different in when it shifts, and how it will downshift. The early 4+3 will have a switch on the dash while later versions will have a button on the shift handle. The 4-speed portion is strong and is made up from the Borg-Warner Super T-10. Corvette engineers used the add-on Doug Nash OD unit to satisfy the then-current CAFE gas mileage requirements. It took them until 1989 to start using the ZF 6-speed.

One important thing with the OD is to perform annual fluid and filter changes. Pretty easy to do; drop the pan and clean everything. Straighten the pan rails and use a good RTV sealant in place of a soft cork gasket. The filter is the same one that was used in Ford "FMX" auto trans found on the early '70's Cougars, Fairlanes, and some F-150 pickups. When you pull the old filter out, remove the rubber grommet and install on the new filter. The filters that come from the Corvette accessory catalogs will have a new grommet. The catalog filters will run $25 to $30 but the Ford version you get at parts stores will cost $10 to $12. Here's some p/n's: Carquest (Advanced) 85926, AC Delco TF-184, Fram FT1024, NAPA ATP14717. Use a good grade of DEXIII ATF (< 3 quarts) but not synthetic.
The following users liked this post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (12-06-2018)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:03 PM
86project
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Doug Nash tranny.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
This page tells you how the 4+3 works for each year. Note that the '84 version is different in when it shifts, and how it will downshift. The early 4+3 will have a switch on the dash while later versions will have a button on the shift handle. The 4-speed portion is strong and is made up from the Borg-Warner Super T-10. Corvette engineers used the add-on Doug Nash OD unit to satisfy the then-current CAFE gas mileage requirements. It took them until 1989 to start using the ZF 6-speed.

One important thing with the OD is to perform annual fluid and filter changes. Pretty easy to do; drop the pan and clean everything. Straighten the pan rails and use a good RTV sealant in place of a soft cork gasket. The filter is the same one that was used in Ford "FMX" auto trans found on the early '70's Cougars, Fairlanes, and some F-150 pickups. When you pull the old filter out, remove the rubber grommet and install on the new filter. The filters that come from the Corvette accessory catalogs will have a new grommet. The catalog filters will run $25 to $30 but the Ford version you get at parts stores will cost $10 to $12. Here's some p/n's: Carquest (Advanced) 85926, AC Delco TF-184, Fram FT1024, NAPA ATP14717. Use a good grade of DEXIII ATF (< 3 quarts) but not synthetic.
Hello, Someone has a Doug Nash tranny up for sale, do you know what they are selling for? approx 50K miles on it dosn't say what year vette it came out of. Thanks
Old 01-19-2019, 12:24 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryInArizona
Hi I'm looking at a 84 with manual transmission. Can someone tell me if those are good transmissions? I know they are called a 4+3. I don't know anything about these transmissions so I would appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks.
Gary
I can't imagine a 'reseller' being interested. It would need to be a 'very special' '84 to be considered of any value to a reseller!

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Manual

Quick Reply: 84 Manual