Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

LS Oil Filter Issues? WIX Filter Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts
Default LS Oil Filter Issues? WIX Filter Issues?

I don't want to crap up Pwnage's build thread with this in case it becomes a long winded discussion, but is anyone else having this problem with their LS or swapped vehicles? I've seen this a couple of times now. The last two had WIX filters in common.

I thought WIX was a quality brand? Or, maybe it is but the bypass isn't opening properly?

Something is up. Have you experienced anything like this or seen problems with a WIX filter?

Originally Posted by confab
Anyone think the oil filter is an issue on these engines?

I notice our LS vehicles actually run better after an oil change, and I fixed a friend's LS pickup the other day with an oil change.

At idle it would drop pressure intermittently. It didn't have 3K on the oil and filter in the truck. We swapped the sensor and no change. Then it started clicking at idle when this would happen.

An oil change fixed it..

Anybody else notice strangeness here? If it's an issue for a street vehicle it will certainly be bad to a hot rod.
Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
I have a 2006 denali xl with the lq4 (possible the last year of the denali xl was an lq9 im not sure).
It has, 400000 klms, 248000 miles. Its my family mover and when i bought the car 50000 miles ago i started using quaker state "defy" which is now called "high mileage". I have always used fram or whatever other filters are available. the vehicle always ran very well never skipped a beat. the magnetic plug has a very fine paste, about 1/4 the size of a pinky finger nail every oil change.

then on a very cold day, -30 celsius, -22 F, it was parked for about 12 hours and when i started it, the low oil pressure light came on. The engine did not sound any different but i turned it off right away. turned it on and off a few times and it would build no pressure. i was a 4 hour drive deep into the rocky mountains on boxing day. with the whole family. no cell phone service. i had just joined this forum and had started learning about engines and i decided to go with what my ears heard, which was zero issues, other than the incessant beeping from the low oil pressure warning. loaded the family in the car, took off down the highway and drove for about 2 minutes with the beeping going like crazy. I decided to punch the throttle and jack the revs and suddenly the pressure jumped up to the half way point and the beeping stopped.

got home and bought a new oil pressure sensor and swapped it out. still when i started the engine it would start with zero oil pressure and then slowwwwwwwwly build pressure. If i goosed the throttle it was like something that was stopping the pressure from building would adjust its position and suddenly the pressure would be normal.

then i realized i had used el cheapo oil and a wix filter for the first time ever. normally i used high mileage quakerstate which i started to think might have some swellers. then i hit the web and learned about the o-ring.

i dropped the oil, replaced the filter with a fram and the oil with quakerstate defy (high mileage) started the vehicle and the pressure climbed up slowly and held.

I have driven the vehcile another 30k miles since then, no issues. towed heavy boats and never had any issues.

never did figure out what the true cause was, but i suspect the oring.

Last edited by confab; 12-11-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:49 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I would NEVER use a fram filter. Ive typically used OE filters, NAPA Platinum filters, or Amsoil filters. I have experience with wix filters and no issues. But what is discribed is similar to the oil pump pressure release spring becoming stuck open, bypassing the oil output of the pump into the inlet of the pump, which would create a low/no oil pressure situation. The oil filter bypass wouldn’t/shouldn’t cause a no oil pressure situation. They are designed to drop the filter element away from the head of the filter to allow unfiltered oil to “by pass” the element and go directly to the engine.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

IDK....WIX is the only brand I use at work...and mostly at home too. I've been running WIX filters on GM/Ford/Dodge trucks, heavy equipment and small engines for decades. Haven't found an issue with the filter yet...

Old 12-11-2018, 08:45 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I buy the OEM AC Delco filters and never have a problem. I have used AC on all Vettes including my C7Z06.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I wonder 'where' & 'from who' everyone is buying their filters.!!! Many years ago the AC Delco filters were I believe the first ''counterfeited' in wide nationwide distribution. I buy generally NAPA for that reason. Wix from a very reliable known retail vendor who you believe buys direct from ONLY Wix I'd think not an issue. Allison filters from Allison dealers. Branded filters from anyone other than a reliable distributor I think could be considered 'foolish'.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I use wix on my inline add on filters. I tried them on my diesel but the drainback valve was wrong and it wouldn't build oil pressure right away when cold...

As for what I use filter wise... whatever is on sale when I buy my oil, generally mobil 1 or purolator. The high end fram filters are good. Delco filters are exactly the same as the supertech brand ones at walmart. There are about 4 filter manufacturers on this earth and champion labs is the biggest. Then you have wix. Champion makes delco, supertech, k&n and mobil 1 and royal purple and I'm sure most other O.E. filters. Then there is Donaldson and a couple more like parker, racor, Baldwin, purolator etc... imo the OEM delcos niw with the stupid plastic cage are among the cheapest filters out there.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I use K&N filters on any vehicle I own. Only reason is the nut attached to the end of the filter. If Fram did that I'd use Fram
Old 12-12-2018, 11:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I get that a little (gauge can fluctuate or flutter some)on my 5.3; itgoes away when I change the filter. Maybe they are just small and cant handle as much muck as a larger one.
WIx is pretty good, if your gauge isnt funky perhaps you got one of the 10,000 or? thats defective and slipped past QC

Last edited by cv67; 12-12-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
NAPA filters are Wix. Even NAPA's part number is the Wix number without one of the leading digits (The 4 or 7 that comes after the 5 for an oil filter).

I'm responsible for, and can be held liable if a filter I install on a client's engine causes damage. I only install filters I can reasonably trust to not give me grief. Most hobbyists don't even think about the consequences of a blown crimp, or a filter media that scatters throughout the lube system and causes damage. Some of the engines I service cost more to repair than most new cars cost off the dealer's lot. WVZR is correct: I am VERY choosey about where and who's filter I purchase.

I use NAPA only because a 'counterfeiter' needs a distribution channel. Counterfeiting Wix doesn't effect a distribution potential BUT NAPA 'counterfeiting' I can't see any possible/likely effective distribution.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

NAPA filters are Wix. Even NAPA's part number is the Wix number without one of the leading digits (The 4 or 7 that comes after the 5 for an oil filter). Parker now owns Racor.

I use Donaldson on my 7.3 Super Duty, and for the really big ZF reduction gears in the yachts that run filters in the main line at 400psi. The OEM ZF filters are Donaldson, so that's what I use at about half the price of a ZF-branded filter. I've used Baldwin on everything, including the 85. Depends on where I purchase my filters. One filter I refuse to use is Fram. I've cut them apart and seen the inferior construction and media area. I've also had the shells or gaskets fail. I generally don't use off the shelf brands from parts houses either.

I'm responsible for, and can be held liable if a filter I install on a client's engine causes damage. I only install filters I can reasonably trust to not give me grief. Most hobbyists don't even think about the consequences of a blown crimp, or a filter media that scatters throughout the lube system and causes damage. Some of the engines I service cost more to repair than most new cars cost off the dealer's lot. WVZR is correct: I am VERY choosey about where and who's filter I purchase.
I'm like 90% sure Donaldson makes the filters for my volvos in the boat but I can't get a damn part number cross. Volvo claims they keep changing part numbers for better products, I still think it's for keeping cross checking inline. Can't find another brand of the part number changes every six months. But with those engines costing 50k a piece, it hurts a little less dropping 140$ on filters once a year. If the OEM filter blows and causes grief it's on them. Been there, done that and have the shirt.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:00 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

confab, as the author of one of the situations cited in your first post, i can tell you that my hunch is that the wix filter, i suspect, had nothing to do with my issue. i do suspect the oring, or, the oil pump. The only thing about the oring, is that if it was the cheapo non-sweller oil that was the cause of the problem, i'd doubt that the swellers in the highmileage oil i replaced it with would have instantly re-swollen the oring. just not sure.

that said, i switched back to the usual fram that i typically grab up here in canada and as stated, never had an issue.

in fact, the denali xl runs so good, the wife just had a remote start installed with the fob going into her stocking this xmas.

can't say enough GOOD things about the LQ platform. Same can be said about the sbc for me anyway.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:12 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

[HIJACK=ON] I've had the same experience with some of the larger Volvos. I had a pair of TADM-52 (I think the model, about 350hp, about 2003 model year) that there just WASN'T an a non-OEM substitute for the bypass filters. I was able to figure out the main filters in Wix from dimensions, but there was nothing in the Wix catalogue for the little by-pass filters. I've had the same problem with a not very popular Perkins 50 HP in a Swan I've maintained for 20 years. There just isn't a non-OEM alternative. For both of these boats I purchase multiple filters from the OEM Dealer, and leave them on board so I have them available at service time. At least I don't have to make special effort to obtain filters needed for routine service.
[/HIJACK=OFF]
Mine are the D6 series, the 370hp ones and it is the same thing. I tried a wix but because of the inverted mount it didn't have the proper check valve and the oil would drain from the filter, the stock ones have the check valve in the threaded side as well. Very strange setup.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:39 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I know that Wix has a great customer support group. My suggestion would be to contact them with the issue and send them the filter.

Fram..... No.

Get notified of new replies

To LS Oil Filter Issues? WIX Filter Issues?

Quick Reply: LS Oil Filter Issues? WIX Filter Issues?