Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The $500 Corvette

Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
CF Senior Member

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cdm747 View Post
I bought these for my 88 form oewheels. Black with polished face. 17x9.5 all around
Your car looks great with that black halo, white body side moulding and black contrasting custom wheels! A real good look there.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:12 AM
jefnvk
CF Senior Member

Received 487 Likes on 296 Posts

Nice score!

Originally Posted by gpierce View Post
I hate those Federals, they are garbage. Even when you put up with what you describe above, the tread starts cracking 7K miles in!
I've driven about 10 miles in mine on C6 rims, that came with my car. I can't say I'm ripping them off immediately, theyre brand newish, but I'm sure as heck doing nothing to remain kind to those tires in hopes they last. I ended up getting the stock wheels that a nice set of UHP summer tires will go on for "performance" purposes, and when those Federals are burnt through I'll put a nicer set of more touring (read: higher treadware) style tires on the better looking C6 rims for cruising comfort.

No grip and feel like rocks, and the tread moldings just scream cheap.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:09 AM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Received 532 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Nice score!

I've driven about 10 miles in mine on C6 rims, that came with my car. I can't say I'm ripping them off immediately, theyre brand newish, but I'm sure as heck doing nothing to remain kind to those tires in hopes they last. I ended up getting the stock wheels that a nice set of UHP summer tires will go on for "performance" purposes, and when those Federals are burnt through I'll put a nicer set of more touring (read: higher treadware) style tires on the better looking C6 rims for cruising comfort.

No grip and feel like rocks, and the tread moldings just scream cheap.
I think these federals will probably last longer than expected. That lack of grip and rock hard rubber will likely last a pretty good bot of time. I know i plan to do relentless burnouts on them.

Side note, you will never make those c6 rims good cruiser rims, due to their size. Too little sidewall means youre raising the effective spring rate of the car. Usd the c6 rims for perfomance and the 17s for cruising.

Last edited by FAUEE; 12-20-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:28 PM
jefnvk
CF Senior Member

Received 487 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
I think these federals will probably last longer than expected. That lack of grip and rock hard rubber will likely last a pretty good bot of time. I know i plan to do relentless burnouts on them.
We'll see. Dream Cruise is at the end of August, not sure how much will be left after that. I wasn't even aware that Walmart sold 140TW tires, though, not expecting a no-name 140 to last long

I'm keeping the stock wheels for performance because of class restrictions, rotation, and wanting a wider tire up front than the C6 allows. Perhaps I overgeneralized with the touring comment, I don't expect this to be soft in any way, it'll just be longer lasting street tires that are less harsh than a straight up performance tire.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:18 AM
Klondike
CF Senior Member

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks pretty damn good for a $500 C4! I have the ZR1 style A mold wheels on mine now, but I do like the style of your choice you posted, just not in black. I've seen some pretty nice grey/charcoal coatings that look good though. I'm just not a fan of any style in black. I think black wheels make a car look like it just came out of a coal strip mine. But for the money you saved on the whole car, you've got a pretty good start on any wheel you want!
Old 12-24-2018, 06:53 AM
ghoastrider1
CF Senior Member

Received 192 Likes on 174 Posts

great deal on a vette, even better thats its in good shape. Man, the door panels still look good.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 PM
RVAVette

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$500? As my dad would’ve asked me; Was there a gun in your hand when you negotiated the price? Looks like a steal of a deal. For $500 I would be tempted to blow it up doing crazy stuff or just fix its needs and resell. In any case good luck.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:22 AM
hcbph
CF Senior Member

Received 382 Likes on 365 Posts

Congrats on one heck of a deal, for $500 you can't complain if it just drives. I agree I've never cared for the C5 rims but that's a personal thing. When I was looking at replacing the tires on my 86 I found locating tires was a big issue (16") so I switched to reproduction C6 Z06 (18") and correspond tires which I could get with the right offset to match my year car. They fit like the originals and look and perform good too. Find the rims and tires you like and go from there.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by hcbph; 12-25-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 AM
JTSK
CF Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You stole it! Congratulations, great deal! Nice Vette! There's a guy on YouTube who got a 95 given to him and he's restored it. I think his channel is Slythee.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Pygmy_116

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! Excited to continue fixing it up. Interior is great aside from the C5 seats. Recently got some tools to take the door cards off with so I will be fixing the windows soon. Meanwhile enjoy these pictures that somebody took, somewhere, of this car doing a burnout with somebody driving 🙄

Old 12-28-2018, 06:07 PM
mazdaverx7
CF Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 82 Posts

Amazing find for the price!!! How is it running and driving? How's the engine bay look? Any cracks in the fiberglass? Do you know any of the car's history?
Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 PM
Pygmy_116

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
Amazing find for the price!!! How is it running and driving? How's the engine bay look? Any cracks in the fiberglass? Do you know any of the car's history?
Runs and drives great. As you can see above, it does great brunouts 😂. Car is fairly clean. No cracks, engine bay is dirty, but sorted. Engine was rebuilt by Jasper Engines and Transmissions 100k miles ago. Not much else in the history

Last edited by Pygmy_116; 12-30-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Pygmy_116

Quick update on the $500 Vette! I have diagnosed the window issue. The window rolls up too far on the driver's side due to the front stop being broken. The part was about $22 and I am currently waiting on it's arrival. I have also been looking at wheels, and while these are quite expensive, the Cray Spider wheels look fantastic. Thoughts on these? It's about $1500 for a set
Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM
pologreen1
CF Senior Member

Received 222 Likes on 212 Posts

Nice car for $500.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:54 AM
JBPC4
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

I hope you understand my skepticism. I can’t help but feel there is more to the story than we’ll ever know...but if you really got a mechanically sound Vette that only needs minor repairs for $500 then congratulations and enjoy!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM
GS982
CF Senior Member

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

For $500 bucks you can get your money back and more parting it out if it throws a rod through the side of the motor tomorrow. Hopefully that doesn't happen and you get to enjoy her as intended. Congratulations, hell of a deal!

Edit: Just saw you asking for opinions on the Cray Wheels. While I like them, I would not spend $1500 on wheels for a $500 car unless you plan on buying another C4 if this one craps out. Couple of sets of salad shooters in the parts for sale section. Might look into those.

Last edited by GS982; 01-10-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 AM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 406 Likes on 374 Posts

very nice price. mine was $660.

its an 86 4+3. yours looks like a brand new car compared to the roach that mine was.

good work.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3909126-restoring-a-1986-manual-4-3-z31-pics.html
Old 02-18-2019, 04:21 PM
Pygmy_116

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
On the subject of generic cheap tires...

I installed federal 595ss tires on my c4 recently. They came at the staunch recommendation of a friend of mine, who might be an idiot. He claimed they were the greatest thing ever, super grippy, last forever, and cheap.
Hello,
I have been searching for these tires and can't seem to find any that are the same size as the ones I have installed. What sizes did you get? Mine are 285/40ZR17. I can only find the federals in 275. Not sure if this is a big enough different to matter.
Thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 PM
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 334 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Pygmy_116 View Post
Hey folks,
I have recently purchased this 1996 Corvette for $500. It has a clean title, it runs, drives, and works perfectly all for, that's right, five hundred US dollars.
It unfortunately is an automatic, and thus has the LT1 motor, but it hauls and is a good time. Over the next few weeks I will completely fix it and attempt drive it regularly.
The issues include:
A minor coolant leak
Intermittent, infrequent airbag light
Climate control doors malfunctioning
Horns malfunctioning
Windows disoriented
Left front headlight misaligned
Worn wheels
Worn windshield wipers

So far we have fixed the:
Coolant leak -- loose bolt on water pump housing
Horns -- $47 horn buttons
Climate control doors -- replaced crushed vacuum hoses
​Headlight -- Adjusted bolt

I will continue to chronicle the work done on the car, and hopefully it won't be a disaster. The only other "problems" are the C5 Z06 seats and wheels. I have to return the wheels to the previous owner, and eventually I will replace the seats, but for the time being I will leave the seats be.
I am thinking about purchasing these wheels: https://www.oewheelsllc.com/17-Fits-...e-Black-17x9-5 Thoughts?
Eventually I will get stock wheels for it but I prefer these.
Thanks folks!

In the first pic, it looks like the front air dams are missing. You should immediately get a set (3 pieces) and install them.. These air dams direct air from the front of the car up to the radiator and A/C condensor. Without them, the chances are that you will see overheating. It would be a good idea to do a cooling system service. Get upper and lower radiator hoses, flush and refill the cooling system with a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser View Post
In the first pic, it looks like the front air dams are missing. You should immediately get a set (3 pieces) and install them.. These air dams direct air from the front of the car up to the radiator and A/C condensor. Without them, the chances are that you will see overheating. It would be a good idea to do a cooling system service. Get upper and lower radiator hoses, flush and refill the cooling system with a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water.
Good advice! The air dams are important to the cooling system. Not to mention the system flush. While your at it bleed the brakes and make sure there is no water accumulation and the calipers.
H

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The $500 Corvette

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: