Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
Default Another wishful thinker - Cold Hard Reality Candidate

Here is another wishful thinker, Cold hard reality candidate

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...790810481.html

It is nothing special, except for the mileage. A4 car. If it had been a LT4 and one of the better editions a bit more value, but you can buy a really nice car with less than 50K on the clock for half of that or more, and put a couple thousand into it.

It won't be brand new, but that one will need some work to repair the damage from lack of driving.

versus this listing for a 91 ZR1 with only 1700 miles on it

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...790183391.html

Last edited by drcook; 01-09-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Brooks94Z07
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

GLWTS.......I suppose......
Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Who needs pictures when trying to sell a car anyways? People who want to see the car are just tire kickers. Lol...
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 AM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
Here is another wishful thinker, Cold hard reality candidate

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...790810481.html

It is nothing special, except for the mileage. A4 car. If it had been a LT4 and one of the better editions a bit more value, but you can buy a really nice car with less than 50K on the clock for half of that or more, and put a couple thousand into it.

It won't be brand new, but that one will need some work to repair the damage from lack of driving.

versus this listing for a 91 ZR1 with only 1700 miles on it

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...790183391.html
So many options when you get into the $20K range. No doubt in my mind between the two examples you listed I would be looking at the ZR1.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:48 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95tealconvert
So many options when you get into the $20K range. No doubt in my mind between the two examples you listed I would be looking at the ZR1.
That is my thoughts exactly and why I posted it up in contrast to the plain jane car. Even where it is at, that ZR1 is a bargain. There is nothing on it that has age issues that can't be fixed easily and because of the age and low miles, it is going to be a great platform to start on.

If I got that car, it sure wouldn't stay stock. I would go through the engine and pull the HP up. Then a set of the vettetovette/Gordon Killebrew braces. A camber brace and a harness bar bolted in like mine is to tighten the hoop.

Then it would be a REALLY nice ride, eh ?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:41 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I think that ZR1 is priced amazingly well!! The other guy listing his wife's car is overshooting. For that kind of money, there's really nothing special other than the mileage.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

A couple detractors for me, besides price ():
  • Not an M6/LT4 car
  • Being a 96 it is an OBDII car which is not exempt from periodic emission inspections in all states, even due to its age
  • Isn't a CE or GS, i.e., no rare or collector factor.
Knock off $15k to get into "market value", no? I sold my base 95/M6 in 07, so it has been a while since I was in the market. What do you guys think? $12k for a clean, base 96 reasonable (more in line perhaps come spring time)?

As for the 91 ZR-1 w/ 1700 miles...sounds like an NCRS candidate, but still inside the $$ "bell curve". But, my concern would be with only that many miles it would need tires and being a pre-93 ZR-1 it would need new alcohol tolerant injectors, and complete hydraulics inspection and service, rubber dry rot(?), secondaries actuator harness integrity (not difficult to fix, but likely in need of some TLC)...you get the picture... (I wonder if the owner is a Registry member??)

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-10-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 AM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

The CL car is quite a bit of money, makes me wonder if they’re serious about selling. The red ‘91 ZR-1 is temptingly priced. For comparison, the 1,700 mile red Z is slightly higher priced than this 37,000 mile ‘91 example: https://www.mershons.com/vehicle-det...cc38a488dad4e3
...And the rear wheels on the black Z I referenced are mounted incorrectly.

B17Crew
Old 01-10-2019, 12:51 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

That black car... holy grief, what is their thinking? Original owner paid around $38-40k when new... trying to recoup? Very unlikely. And it's an automatic ROFL HAHA

That red ZR-1 is gorgeous.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Seems he was really reaching to make it look like it had unique options. Wasn't the owner's manual case standard.? The dealer brochures are $10 on ebay.

Don't understand what upgraded Bose system means. I thought the Bose system only worked with it's own parts. Upgrading would require replacing the system?

I'd think it was one of those price it stupid to satisfy the wife it was for sale, but what's the purpose of having a base model coupe that you drive 300 miles a year?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:38 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

There's another dreamer on the Dallas CL. 94 coupe, white, auto with 85k miles. He says $15k is a great price
Old 01-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It sounds like a lot but when a new cheapy is 20k+ the old like new Corvette isn't that much. Affluent parent might think he saving money not having to buy junior a Z06 lol.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:25 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I have kept a close eye on the GS market ever since I bought mine back 2 1/2 years ago and there are some $40K+ cars that have remained for sale the entire time. The market just isn't there for high priced C4s yet. I was happy to enjoy my GS for 2 years and get my money back out of it.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM
drcook
Safety Car

The market just isn't there for high priced C4s yet.
And may never be.

Parts obsolescence is becoming a bigger bogey man everyday. I just spent days tracking down the snap rings to rebuild the Dana 44 I am swapping in, because those are specific to the IRS Dana 44. Gears, clutch packs, seals, shims, all the parts that are shared with other vehicles are common and available, but not the pieces that can make or break a rebuild.

Try finding replacement stub axles if you need them. I know where some are at, both rebuild and new. Waiting to see if I ever need to get them, if not, I will share.

Another critical part is that teflon covered washer for the rear spindles/bearings. At least Corvette Central has stepped up to the plate and is selling them since GM ran out and dropped them from inventory.

There is a lot of emphasis being placed on bigger ticket items, seat covers, engine mods etc and not on the little things that can put the car into the garage/driveway/parter outer etc because they can't be found.

You take that 1700 mile ZR1. The first thing I would do is get rid of the OEM tires it came from the factory with, and then take a flashlight and check out the back of the rear bearings to see what the seal looks like.

My 1996 had 11,800 when I bought it in 2016. The rear bearing were leaking grease (I replaced them probably got the last teflon washers out of the GM parts line, now have extras from CC I keep). Next are the fronts. And yes, my car had the 20 yr old Goodyears on it. Part of the deal was they had to replace the tires. I wasn't going to drive home 200 miles all x-way with 20 yr old tires.

A lot of folks aren't prepared to spend a lot of money for a car and then spend a lot of money just to get it reliable to drive. I know every penny I stick into mine is unrecoverable. It is solely for my enjoyment.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^^ Agreed! You can't buy a C4 as a fixer upper either unless you don't mind taking a bath on it. I found a pristine '96 LT4 car with 25K on the ODO, reasonably priced at $11K, but it needed new weatherstrip, tires, bushings, etc. Basically anything that could dry rot on the car had done so. I had to pass because I knew any money I put into it would never be seen again. A real shame for such a beautiful car to almost be worthless due to some dried out rubber.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Hammerhead69
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw a 1986 C4 convertible with 2k miles go for $19k at the Mecum auction in Kissimmee this past Wednesday.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
And may never be.

Parts obsolescence is becoming a bigger bogey man everyday. I just spent days tracking down the snap rings to rebuild the Dana 44 I am swapping in, because those are specific to the IRS Dana 44. Gears, clutch packs, seals, shims, all the parts that are shared with other vehicles are common and available, but not the pieces that can make or break a rebuild.
Thats why stuff like the old boss 302, hemi cudas, l88 vettes arent worth anything too, parts went obsolete and they never had prices go up.

Wait, it seems thats not the case AT ALL, and parts are made when theres a market for them, often at higher prices which get the crappy cars not worth fixing off the street. My mistake.

Dont believe the "sky is falling" guy(s). Plenty of parts out there, nothing to be worried about. Prices on c4s are rising, and will continue to do so.

Get notified of new replies

To Another wishful thinker - Cold Hard Reality Candidate

Old 01-11-2019, 11:49 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Prices on c4s are rising, and will continue to do so.
Prices are not going up around here in NE Ohio. The same cars are for sale on Craigslist, on the car lots for weeks and months at a time, if not years.

There are 120 1985 to 1996 cars for sale on CL in the Akron/Canton Ohio area, when you use "include local areas". The majority of those cars have been there for months until the ads expire. I see the prices dropping and not selling.

Looking once in a while will not establish the pattern for you. I see patterns. I fixed financial software where I had to correct errors that occurred across time. For 28 years I was used to looking at and process data, I am very good at it. You have to look at Craigslist every day. Look at what is there, filter them out for different views.

I watch NE Ohio, SW Virginia (as a transition to ) the Raleigh area as my brother lives there and can pick up parts for me if need be. You can pick up some pretty reasonable C4's for under $7000.00 and the parts business is getting worse. One of the members here needed a frame part. I contacted one of the more reputable vendors of used parts and a couple other people.

They were undercut by a seller on eBay. The folks selling on eBay wanted almost half of what the business wanted and that was for both of the frame parts. Too many cars being parted out, not enough buyers, so people are cutting prices. The business wanted a reasonable $60.00 (including shipping) because he had to go remove it. If it had been already out, it would have been less he said. HOWEVER the eBay person wanted (IIRC) $37.00 ish shipped for both frame pieces.

Then you take vendors. It wasn't all that long ago that Tom Urban was getting ready to throw in the towel and not make his rear suspension anymore. He was moving and you folks weren't buying. It wasn't until that it became apparent that he would be gone that folks bought enough for him to justify keeping it going for at least a while longer. VBP couldn't survive, as have a multitude of vendors that I chase from links and the websites are dead and the people gone.

As far as waiting for a vendor to "step up to the plate" and make a repro part. Had Corvette Central not started offering the teflon coated washers, how long would you let that Vette set in the driveway, garage, not being used, had you needed to put in rear bearings and the old washers were unusable ?

Or the D44 I am putting together. If I had not been able to find a .090 snap ring, I would have had to put it back together with end play outside of factory tolerances. Would it live, yes, but it would be banging against the center pin. There is only 1, one, uno vendor in the US that has the full set. That is Tom's Differentials and they are for sale. How long will his family keep it going and what happens if no one buys it and they disappear ?

I pointed some of the vendors I talked to at Tom's, maybe they can get an arrangement. Tom's has them made and ground to size. Other than them, there are only 10 left that I could find in the country and they are all .085's.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:07 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Dr, if you see any clean, less than 70k miles, admiral blue, zf6 C4' s, please send them through me on PM
Old 01-12-2019, 12:14 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Dr, if you see any clean, less than 70k miles, admiral blue, zf6 C4' s, please send them through me on PM
L98 or LTx based car ? And what budget ? Just what is your not to exceed ceiling ?

Does it have to be admiral blue. There are some really really nice ZF6 cars for sale around the country right now.

If I had an extra 10K there is a 95 on the east coast that is a match color wise to my 96 (artic white with torch red and black interior) that I would be heading to deal on.

Quick Reply: Another wishful thinker - Cold Hard Reality Candidate