Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 AM
corvette92racer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Hey guys,
I have a 1992 Chevy Corvette Coupe with the LT1 motor. I'm thinking of installing a cold air intake and wonder what people's thoughts are on this in terms of if I should do it and if so what is the best intake to buy. A few options are:
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...-1996-lt1.html
https://www.zip-corvette.com/90-96-v...tem-black.html
These are the only cold air intake systems I have found for my corvette if there are others please let me know of better suggestions. Currently I have the stock intake system which has a K & N air filter:
https://www.carid.com/1992-chevy-cor...377130711.html
So, to summarize...I'm wondering if I should change the intake system to a cold air intake looking at the benefits out doing any negatives. As well as any effects that cold result from this change like could it mess with any of my sensors? Please let me know, thank you.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't waste your money ...
Old 01-28-2019, 10:36 AM
Scott442
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could cut open the stock airbox and make it open element style for free and it would probably have the same effect.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:08 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Many people have installed various intake systems on their C4 Corvettes. The simple answer is this: if you install only an intake and nothing else, you will spend a bit but you won't gain much. In the stock intake, the most restrictive part is the throttle body, which is connected to your right foot. So the only time you will see any benefit from a performance intake or free-flow air filter will be at full throttle, and even then it won't be much. To see significant gains, you'd need to also install a cam and headers with the intake, and that means spending many hundreds or even thousands. Like Scott said, you can cut open the stock lid and spend nothing but get the same results, more or less.
Not worth the bother in my opinion. If it runs good, leave it stock and drive it more
Old 01-28-2019, 11:23 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Many people have installed various intake systems on their C4 Corvettes. The simple answer is this: if you install only an intake and nothing else, you will spend a bit but you won't gain much. In the stock intake, the most restrictive part is the throttle body, which is connected to your right foot. So the only time you will see any benefit from a performance intake or free-flow air filter will be at full throttle, and even then it won't be much. To see significant gains, you'd need to also install a cam and headers with the intake, and that means spending many hundreds or even thousands. Like Scott said, you can cut open the stock lid and spend nothing but get the same results, more or less.
Not worth the bother in my opinion. If it runs good, leave it stock and drive it more
Even with all those mods, the factory 90-96 intake flows well enough. It is not the limit. The SLP Claw, breathless and countless others are just a way to collect cash.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe