C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:25 PM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts
Default C4 Steering

I test drove a 1989 C4 today that I was thinking of buying. I was surprised by how heavy the steering is. I last drove a C4 back in 1989 and I didn't recall that aspect of the car. It's actually an issue for me as I have tendon problems in my arms and steering that heavy would probably make my arms worse. Has anyone ever heard of "fixes" to make the steering effort lighter (aside from skinnier front tires)?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:15 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

The heavier steering is due to having hydraulic power steering vs electric in most cars now. That's what gives it such great feedback.

Turn one makes higher output ps pumps, one of those would likely do the trick. Or at least help. The other option is a c5 or c6, which have crazy light steering.
The following users liked this post:
koranke (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The heavier steering is due to having hydraulic power steering vs electric in most cars now.
That doesn't make sense to me. The hydraulic boosted steering in my '84 'vette is nicer than the electric boosted steering in my wife's late model Toyota Camry! I'll bet there's something wrong with that '89. Someone may have installed "underdrive" pulleys to reduce the speed (and the minimal load) of the p.s. pump.

And that Camry has way skinnier tires than the Corvette!

convas (08-01-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:36 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Steering is quite "heavy" on my '96. Others who have driven it ask if it has power steering as it very different than what they are used to.
silverja (08-04-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:19 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

My 91 has "heavy" steering and I like it because it feels very deliberate when cornering.
dm575 (02-01-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:14 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by RUU
Steering is quite "heavy" on my '96. Others who have driven it ask if it has power steering as it very different than what they are used to.
Same on my '95 and '96. Stiff.

I could turn the wheel on my '73 Dodge Monaco back in the day with one finger and no electric assist. As it turns out, I don't want a Corvette that drives like a station wagon from the 70's.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Just the nature of the beast. I can drive comfortably with one hand but always use two to turn a corner or parallel park.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep, My '96 has heavier steering than my 65 Mustang with no power steering. I understand wanting 'feedback" in a performance car, but you shouldn't need to be Popeye in a parking lot.

My three biggest gripes of my C4.
1- heavy steering
2- super-stiff gas pedal
3- that damn door sill.

Other than that, it's totally cool to cruise.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:33 PM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts

I wonder if this could be adjusted by simply changing the power steering pump with a smaller pulley? Kind of like adjusting a super charger via the pulley. Perhaps other parts of the pump would prevent that from working or maybe that would stress the system beyond what it's designed for. Again, my interest in this is not due to a preference in terms of steering feel, but rather as a way to allow me to drive a C4 without screwing up my fragile tendons. It would be a risky thing to try (buy a C4 first and then try to adjust). Who knows what kind of change would be appropriate and how that change would impact performance at both low and high speeds.

Last edited by koranke; 01-30-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The heavier steering is due to having hydraulic power steering vs electric in most cars now. That's what gives it such great feedback.

Turn one makes higher output ps pumps, one of those would likely do the trick. Or at least help. The other option is a c5 or c6, which have crazy light steering.
You can't attribute the heavy feel to hydraulic power steering. Hyd power steering cars can have super light steering. My 69 Firebird is one. You can steer that car with one finger no problem. I've driven many other cars that were the same. I think it's just the way Chevy tuned the steering for the C4. My 96 is much stiffer than most cars.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:28 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

You can try replacing the power steering fluid with Lucas brand power steering fluid. Although I like the stock firm feel, the Lucas stuff really made the steering noticeably looser.
In fact I am contemplating switching it out back to the stock fluid to get that firmness back but I was told the Lucas power steering fluid helps the steering rack live a bit longer.

Last edited by grandspt; 01-30-2019 at 07:32 PM.
koranke (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:40 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

A Z51 rack has a faster ratio = heavier steering.
Most alignment shops set the caster to the max positive = heavy steering but it will go straight @ 150 mph.
Setting the caster to minimum will lighten up the steering.
My Z51 has 7* caster, when parking I let it roll while clocking the steering wheel just like Grandpa did
on manual steering cars. Takes 2 hands to turn the steering wheel if stopped + my foot on the brakes.
silverja (08-04-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 AM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

It is heavy because it is a sports car and it is before modern speed sensitive steering.

Modern cars have speed sensitive steering (I am talking about hydraulic steering), at low speeds the boost is higher at high speed the boost is lower for better feel. Some modern cars incorporate steering angle into this as well with boost increasing with higher steering angles. The C4 was before that technology was widespread. I think Honda first introduced it around 1983.

As a result you could either have light steering like Grandpas Buick, or heavier steering with more "road feel" there had to be a compromise. Also in the case of corvette the rack and pinion doesn't help either. In that era most cars were still using recirculating ball steering which has more mechanical advantage built in.
silverja (08-04-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by turtle96
You can't attribute the heavy feel to hydraulic power steering. Hyd power steering cars can have super light steering. I think it's just the way Chevy tuned the steering for the C4.

It's easy to tune the steering feel! Reduce the front wheel caster angle, and you'll have easier steering. The late model C4's have higher caster angle specifications, and therefore stiffer steering. I realize the late model C4's have other front end differences, but changing the caster angle will change the feel of the car. I increased the caster angle on my '84 in order to change the feel of the steering.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id call Chris Jones @Jones racing products. Perhaps he has a solution, could be a valving/pressure thing.
They are heavier than you'd expect for sure but once at speed are fine. Kinda like an old manual steering box just more precise.
The 90 had a little slower rack if I remember little easier but not like the older over assited power assist from many yrs ago.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:40 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I generally agree with the foregoing comments.

However, my own personal opinion on these cars, and certainly on my 96, was that the factory built in too much of the "grandma factor" to increase its potential customer base, and that certainly goes to the recommended tire inflation pressure, after all, grandma wants a nice soft "comfortable" ride. As an experiment, inflate your tires to the recommended max pressure on the tire sidewall. I bet the steering lightens up. Maybe, maybe not. Good luck, enjoy your C4

p.s. time does march on and your memory of driving a C4 thirty years ago might not jibe with the reality of driving a C4 today. I speculate that my C1 from fifty years ago may not have been quite as fast as I remember

Last edited by mtwoolford; 07-28-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Steering

Quick Reply: C4 Steering