377 vs 383

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Good reference. I have no doubt that's true. As I understand it, to adapt LT heads would require steam holes to be drilled plus the welding/plugging of a couple water passages. I guess on the block, I don't know what would be required to use the LT's geared water pump and optispark. The latter is required to use the PCM. So there might be a fair amount of work involved in converting over to a Gen 1 block like a 400. OTOH, it sure would be fun to gain 25 extra cubes!
If you want a 400 CID "LT1" (if that's what you're getting at), the fastest, easiest way to that is a SBC 400, Miniram, and an "option converted" HEI distributor...then run it all off the LT1 ECM/harness.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
If you want a 400 CID "LT1" (if that's what you're getting at),
Yes, except I'm fantasizing about throwing my current 3.875" crank into a .030-over 400 block to get a 421 vs my current 396. But same idea.

the fastest, easiest way to that is a SBC 400, Miniram, and an "option converted" HEI distributor...then run it all off the LT1 ECM/harness.
Guessing that was supposed to be "optical converted" or "opti converted." Okay, that makes perfect sense. I see a couple writeups for making your own, and maybe the "dual-sync" aftermarket options would work? Just more time and money, but it's doable. Nothing I'm going to be worrying about any time soon, but I'll file that away in the back of my mind for the future.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Yes, except I'm fantasizing about throwing my current 3.875" crank into a .030-over 400 block to get a 421 vs my current 396. But same idea.

Guessing that was supposed to be "optical converted" or "opti converted." Okay, that makes perfect sense. I see a couple writeups for making your own, and maybe the "dual-sync" aftermarket options would work? Just more time and money, but it's doable. Nothing I'm going to be worrying about any time soon, but I'll file that away in the back of my mind for the future.
Yes...OPTI Converted. God Damn spell check. It's like cars with doors that lock themselves for you. Great....until you can't get out.

That is roughly my plan for my '92; a Gen 1 SBC 400/miniram, a Tom-converted Opti/HEI. Nothing special...but it will have that nice PULL in each gear that the stock 350 doesn't.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:28 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Yes...OPTI Converted. God Damn spell check. It's like cars with doors that lock themselves for you. Great....until you can't get out.

That is roughly my plan for my '92; a Gen 1 SBC 400/miniram, a Tom-converted Opti/HEI. Nothing special...but it will have that nice PULL in each gear that the stock 350 doesn't.
Please tell me you're going to create a thread on that Tom-conversion!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Yeah, I'm sure that I will. It may be years...even decades away though. First, I need to build the 400. For that, I need disposable $$. With a family, that may never happen. :-/

My buddy has an '88 fox. He's "going to build a 347". I have two 400's in my garage -one bare, virgin block, the other a medium used short block. I'm "going to build me a 400"....some day. I joke with my buddy that we're in a drag race. We're racing to see who has their engine built/running first. We're both losing.

-Tom

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 02-06-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:07 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I'm sure that I will. It may be years...even decades away though. First, I need to build the 400. For that, I need disposable $$. With a family, that may never happen. :-/

My buddy has an '88 fox. He's "going to build a 347". I have two 400's in my garage -one bare, virgin block, the other a medium used short block. I'm "going to build me a 400"....some day. I joke with my buddy that we're in a drag race. We're racing to see who has their engine built/running first. We're both losing. .
I totally understand that!
Old 02-06-2019, 08:03 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

i have a 64 roadster. custom or mod. call it what you will. i have a pro built 400 stroked to 421. it's about all any sane person would want on the street and still be able to just cruise. the xtra c.i. and the torque are wonderful. yes, i have a tbi fuel injection set up on the engine.
phil
Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by candipogo
i have a 64 roadster. custom or mod. call it what you will. i have a pro built 400 stroked to 421. it's about all any sane person would want on the street and still be able to just cruise. the xtra c.i. and the torque are wonderful. yes, i have a tbi fuel injection set up on the engine.
phil
Yes, there is no real reason to have a destroyed street engine. Take a stock c4 especially stick, throw cubes in it and have fun.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for all the feed back. Based on the input I will be going the 383 route. I may also bold on some long tube headers this season and explore the miniram set up prior to my build so I can get a some added performance (although limited I know) in the mean time.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:43 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,063 Posts

If you want a 400 CID "LT1" (if that's what you're getting at), the fastest, easiest way to that is a SBC 400, Miniram, and an "option converted" HEI distributor...then run it all off the LT1 ECM/harness.

Now that's interesting.

My input, rpm limitations back in the day were due to the materials of the stock cranks.... as in nodular. My current 383 is in a truck and fuel cutoff is programmed to 6300 with 6000 rpm shift points. However it has a cast crank and I'm terrified everytime it spins that high. do whatever you want. It's a freaking street car. If done right you'll never kill it anyway in either configuration.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:56 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
This statement was always true UNTILL the LS based small blocks came to be!
….. Ahhh ! … but even the LS blocks are available in a variety of displacements … LS1=350 , LS3=372-ish , LS7=427 …..
Old 02-08-2019, 10:09 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C409
….. Ahhh ! … but even the LS blocks are available in a variety of displacements … LS1=350 , LS3=372-ish , LS7=427 …..
And you can now buy an LS with stock block dimensions (i.e. not a tall-deck block) up to at least 468 that will live at any rpm you want. And if you have the cash, there is no good reason not to do that. No matter how well an engine breathes, more cubes is always better.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:25 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 526 Likes on 316 Posts

If I was going with a new 350 block I'd go 377. If I was rebuilding what I had 383.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:12 PM
the377stroker
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just tellen the truth

the 377 has many good things goin for it less friction on the piston wall side loading less friction on the crank internally balanced less valve shrouding and higher rpm horsepower if there built the same as 383 vs 377 the 383 might get it by a few feet off the line but at the end of a 1/4 the 377 will be ahead if there both built the same i know ive tried them both and they are more efficent there less friction all the way around especially if u use a longer connecting rod less wear on the engine to any one want to argue cause i know ive done them both and a 400 has a bad connecting rod set up from the get go i dont like the rod and stroke set up and the 350 crank has less drag hopefully this will help any doubters
Old 01-26-2024, 03:27 PM
the377stroker
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just tellen the truth

the 377 has many good things goin for it less friction on the piston wall side loading less friction on the crank internally balanced less valve shrouding and higher rpm horsepower if there built the same as 383 vs 377 the 383 might get it by a few feet off the line but at the end of a 1/4 the 377 will be ahead if there both built the same i know ive tried them both and they are more efficent there less friction all the way around especially if u use a longer connecting rod less wear on the engine to any one want to argue cause i know ive done them both and a 400 has a bad connecting rod set up from the get go i dont like the rod and stroke set up and the 350 crank has less drag hopefully this will help any doubters
Old 01-26-2024, 04:16 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
I am going to throw out another little wrinkle into this discussion because of what I am thinking and because I am slowly reaching the end of my budget.

My engine is pretty low mileage, so I am thinking of going the stroker crank route, but not the .030 overbore. So instead of ending up at 383 ci (.030 over) it ends up at 377. I can afford a series 9000 crank, the rods and reuse the pistons (I believe) and rering and bearing and keep within my budget (because I also have to do the transmission).

Have any of you experienced a 377 built this way ? Keeping in mind I am building a spirited cruiser that will never see a track. Just nice rides through the country, hills and mountains that are to the south and east of us.

Part of the problem is that there is only one good shop left in the area that does engine related machine work and they know it. Their prices have inflated accordingly.
This is the exact build I recently did. I bought a Vortec Truck 4 Bolt Main from my Machinist, and he said Boring it is a waste of time and just honed it. In the past buying stock bore pistons used to be difficult but that is no longer the case. So, it runs just like a 383 should minus 5 CI.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:32 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Would it be safe to say that for a modern Street engine build with the accessibility of aftermarket Cylinder Heads, Cranks and Rods and much lighter Forged Pistons has eliminated a lot of the 1970's rules on how not to build one of these engines as far as RPM restrictions and other do nots do's? And after all these years of debate there is no one combination that is clearly better than another. And that every combination above does have some advantage over the rest for a certain application.

Get notified of new replies

To 377 vs 383

Old 01-26-2024, 05:23 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Would it be safe to say that for a modern Street engine build with the accessibility of aftermarket Cylinder Heads, Cranks and Rods and much lighter Forged Pistons has eliminated a lot of the 1970's rules on how not to build one of these engines as far as RPM restrictions and other do nots do's? And after all these years of debate there is no one combination that is clearly better than another. And that every combination above does have some advantage over the rest for a certain application.
The only thing that's really safe to say is that displacement is king. The only reason anyone would even contemplate destroking a 400 block to make a 377 is if there were a set of class rules that limited displacement to 377. Otherwise, if you already have a 400 block, then destroking it is just dumb. You will always make more power with more longevity and more efficiency by going for the most displacement you can squeeze from a block. I've already gone over the reasons why. These days there are plenty of 468 LSs and 480 LTs being put on road courses for sustained high-RPM operation with no troubles. As with any engine, you have to understand the right way to build them, but the valvetrain is more of a concern for high-RPM durability than the rotating mass.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:12 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

The only thing that's really safe to say is that displacement is king. The only reason anyone would even contemplate destroking a 400 block to make a 377 is if there were a set of class rules that limited displacement to 377. Otherwise, if you already have a 400 block, then destroking it is just dumb. You will always make more power with more longevity and more efficiency by going for the most displacement you can squeeze from a block. I've already gone over the reasons why. These days there are plenty of 468 LSs and 480 LTs being put on road courses for sustained high-RPM operation with no troubles. As with any engine, you have to understand the right way to build them, but the valvetrain is more of a concern for high-RPM durability than the rotating mass.
I do agree, After all the autocross club I compete in has very few C4's. However the really fast guy is running a 468 CI Small Block or some crazy displacement close to that. And getting a ride in his car and then jumping back in mine makes my 383-377 combo AFR Superam fell like the L98 I took out !
Old 01-28-2024, 01:17 PM
AZSP33D
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 208 Posts

Define what you would want to do exactly, and then determine what formula is appropriate.

NASCAR back in the 1980’s used a destroked formula as they were limited to 355. They also used a crank with 400 SBC sized mains, it’s overlap between main journals and rod journals meant a much more stable crankshaft.

Today, you can build a high HP/RPM/PSI monster where it’s common to use the 400 SBC size mains with shorter stroke, and it can be certainly more reliable at a similar displacement compared to a stroker. Lots of ways to skin a cat, and also if you’re tire/torque limited, the destroked larger bore may be a better formula.

I’ve queued up a destroked budget LS project for a similar reason, it will be 8K+ RPM engine for a Porsche 944 Turbo where the transaxle is torque limited. I think in most cases RPM limitations are more expensive than torque limitations, but certainly not on this case.

On the C4 the torque limit is higher, but eventually you could get there without too much trouble, where a destroked version of the power curve is preferred with regard to crank/clutch/trans/DS/Diff/axle combination… although all of those can be built up also.

Quick Reply: 377 vs 383