C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hood release help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 09:29 AM
wags93
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood release help

Have a 1993 Vette when I pull the release inside the car the hood won’t pop up have to reach across and lift the hood is there a adjustment that will make the hood pop up?? Any help appreciated
Old 02-09-2019, 09:40 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

http://content.mamotorworks.com/pdf/608154.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by don hall:
RtStuf (02-09-2019), wags93 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 PM
ErrrrCar205
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I occasionally have this problem - my driver's side cable needs adjustment/lubrication, but I haven't done it yet. I'm not sure what you mean by 'have to reach across to lift the hood', so you may know this already, but try pressing the hood down (at the rear edge of the hood, which is where the latches are) when you pull the handle. In my case pushing down firmly on the rear driver's side corner of the hood while I pull the handle takes enough pressure off the latch to let it pop open. (If your passenger side or both are sticky you'd need somebody to push on the other side too, of course).

This page was helpful when I was trying to figure it out:
Dealing with a Stuck C4 Hood

Last edited by ErrrrCar205; 02-13-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

That Mid America information has some good hints, but here's another one: The hood pins are 19 mm dia. and the receiver latch hole is 21 mm dia. The hood pin should drop into the center of the latch hole.
1. Block the latch lever open so the latch won't lock the hood during your adjustments. Very important!
2. Clean the top cone of the latch.
3. Coat the hood pin with grease.
4. Lower the hood onto the latch plate and push down gently on the hood.
5. Raise the hood and look for a grease mark on the latch cone. If the hood pin is adjusted properly, there will be no grease mark on the latch cone.
6. Adjust the hood pin mounting plate to center the hood pin in the latch plate hole.
7. You shouldn't need to drop the hood from 18" as the Mid America procedure shows. You should be able to set your hood down on the latches, then a gentle push should snap you hood closed!

This should also keep your hood from sticking closed due to too much drag between the hood pins and the bore of the latches. I suspect this is a common problem with stuck hoods!

Get notified of new replies

To Hood release help

Quick Reply: Hood release help