Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

c4 throttle body coolant cover

Old 02-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Gene805

Default c4 throttle body coolant cover

I removed the throttle body on my 1985 vette to clean. I decided to take everything apart and clean and replace all gaskets. While removing the coolant cover off the throttle body, the cover broke and one of the bolts broke off flush to the throttle body. I can buy a new throttle body from anywhere but no one has the coolant cover that attaches to the new throttle body. The new throttle body includes the bolts for the coolant cover but no coolant cover. Since I cant use my old cover, what are my options? I have no problem doing the coolant bypass but without the cover under the throttle body, unfiltered air can enter the intake.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:11 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gene805 View Post
I removed the throttle body on my 1985 vette to clean. I decided to take everything apart and clean and replace all gaskets. While removing the coolant cover off the throttle body, the cover broke and one of the bolts broke off flush to the throttle body. I can buy a new throttle body from anywhere but no one has the coolant cover that attaches to the new throttle body. The new throttle body includes the bolts for the coolant cover but no coolant cover. Since I cant use my old cover, what are my options? I have no problem doing the coolant bypass but without the cover under the throttle body, unfiltered air can enter the intake.
What is a coolant cover? Are you taking about the IAC housing? THIS?

Look at the above unit. Is it any of these 3 screws? If not, it doesn't matter

Yet another picture for reference as to what is important if you do the coolant bypass.
The Following User Says Thank You to aklim For This Useful Post:
Gene805 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 AM
mazdaverx7
CF Senior Member

Many TPI owners install the bypass mod. If I were in your shoes, that'e exactly what I would do. If the bolt isn't broken off in one of the holes needed for the IACV plate then I wouldn't worry about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mazdaverx7 For This Useful Post:
Gene805 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:59 PM
JrRifleCoach
CF Senior Member

Location: Criminals obey guns laws like politicians follow their oath to office Republik of Kalifornico"
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-19

^^ ^^
Old 02-10-2019, 10:43 PM
gasandvetteman

Isn't that just a flat plate just make one
Old 02-11-2019, 12:01 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by gasandvetteman View Post
Isn't that just a flat plate just make one
It's a flat plate with a way to attach the IAC solenoid to. I really wouldn't make one since the pintle must mate with the housing for a full close. I would either buy the TPIS one or modify the current one. Whether it is worth your time to grind away is up to your discretion on what your time is worth and if you have the tools. If you had to buy a dremmel with the bits, probably not.
The Following User Says Thank You to aklim For This Useful Post:
Gene805 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Gene805

Yes aklim, thanks for the pics. That is the correct part and term. I had a diagram/illustration of all the throttle body components that came with my gasket kit that labeled the IAC housing as "Coolant Cover (IAC)" so I was searching the wrong term. I ended up cutting the IAC valve housing from the rest of the housing like your third photo and of course cut the gasket to fit. I replaced all the bolts on the IAC housing and the clean air cover on top with stainless M4 from True Value Hardware. No one else had them.

I also need to replace this vacuum hose? that goes into the throttle body. I haven't been able to locate the part.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:48 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gene805 View Post
I also need to replace this vacuum hose? that goes into the throttle body. I haven't been able to locate the part.
[
Don't forget to anti-seize the screws. I think you already know why.

IDK since those are probably emissions stuff that "fell off" my car. I would guess it is the CCV to the right side valve cover?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

I just found this. I didn't want to give you mine since I have an 91 and wasn't sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c4 throttle body coolant cover

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: