Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A/c

Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM
gstatucki
CF Member

Default A/c

I have a 1995 Corvette and about every 3 years I loose Cool Air and need to refill. Have a very slow leak any one have any idea how to find or where leak nay be?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 AM
puterami
CF Member

I would first start with a visual looking for any greasy condition at connections. This would tell you an o-ring is leaking. Those things are 24 years old.
You can use a can with UV dye in it and a blacklight.
Check out the below video and let us know if it helps.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:26 AM
ghoastrider1
CF Senior Member

I used this product, It worked great for me only I used some kinda yellow glasses

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 03-01-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:13 PM
belairbrian
CF Senior Member

My leak kit came with the glasses and a UV penlight. Used it on another car. Turned out the problem was the valve in the fill port. You could see it spewing the fluorescent dye.

Used one of the valve core tools that swaps the valve without draining the system.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 AM
bosshog8
CF Senior Member

If you have a leak and the leak dye things don't work (I've never had one work) then put a vacuum pump on it and listen for leaks (wishful thinking) or if all else fails replace the o-rings until the leak is gone (this is the only sure fire way to fix it). Either way you will need a vacuum pump. The 1 caveat is if the leak is at the Schrader valve your connecting the pump to then you will never find it so if at the end you still have a leak change the port you vacuum from to check the valve. If it's been leaking for years it's very likely when you take the suspect joint apart you will see corrosion inside, which must be cleaned up before fitting a new o-ring. I would actually start by replacing both Schrader valves and checking for leaks. It's the easiest and cheapest thing to do since you have no idea where the leak is.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 PM
net_coma
CF Member

I think you can get a loner halogen detector from Auto Zone and the like. It will alarm when the Freon is detected. If it is in the area where the evaporator is contained, I am not sure of the detection of a minor and slow leak.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 PM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

A leak that slow should probably be left alone. I would let it get worse.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: