C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rod Inside Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Black_C4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod Inside Steering Column

Hello yall from Charleston SC! I have a 91 Coupe with the automatic.

Im venturing well outside of my comfort zone with this project, I dont mind challenging myself. I am a professional motorcycle mechanic. And used to build Honda race cars (yeah, yeah).

I am working on a few issues in the steering column, floppy turn signal stalk, replacing the ignition lock, and removed the cluster to send out for repair.

I can tell someone who didnt know what they where doing was in there before. And I am questioning whether this rod (circled in attach pic) is not where it is supposed to be. Im looking for some insight and/or where I can find some pics or good info on the steering column internals. I will be downloading a service manual tonight as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Black_C4; 03-02-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:12 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

it's the high beam low beam dimmer rod

The following 2 users liked this post by belairbrian:
Black_C4 (03-02-2019), slipup (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:17 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

here's a link to the Illustrated Parts Breakdown
91 Steering Column IPB
The following users liked this post:
Black_C4 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 04:24 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There is a plastic switch rod actuator that goes between the rod and the multi-function switch. If it is missing, that answers why your stalk is loose.
The following users liked this post:
Black_C4 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Black_C4
Heel & Toe

Its defiantly missing lol The rod was just chillin in there!

Thanks for the hint. Now I have to find one of those. Would it happen to be #21 or 22 in the above parts diagram?

Last edited by Black_C4; 03-03-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:25 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

It's part 21 it's just a piece of plastic and just sits in there. 22 is the pivot pin for the washer switch.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-03-2019, 09:23 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

One more thing. It is not unusual for these cars to have a little (or a lot) of left-right wobble in the steering column which is the result of people using the steering wheel to get in and out of the car. If that is the case, you might want to address that while you have the steering wheel off. If you don't address it, that switch rod actuator may fall off again, and if it does, it is really tough to get back in place with the steering wheel in place. Ask me how I know. There are numerous posts here on the steering wheel movement. Also, make sure no one uses the steering wheel as leverage to get in/out of the car.

Last edited by csthews; 03-03-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Black_C4
Heel & Toe

Ok, Ive got the dimmer rod and the plastic piece figured out. Also tightened up the column/tilt bolts.

Next, back to the original reason I pulled this mess apart. Im dealing with the floppy stalk issue. My switch assembly isnt broken. The actuator Dosent seem to stay in the mechanism unless I put pressure on it with my hand.

Ive studied the diagram and manual as best I can, I do not see anything missing or broken. Ive re-installed the lock ring and retainer clip to see if that would hold enuff pressure on the assembly to keep the actuator in place, no dice.

The actuator dosent seem bent, but I may try to tweak it slightly. But I wanna ask here first lol Im not a fan of "Bubba" fixes

Old 03-11-2019, 06:29 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Where is the play? between the turn signal switch (yellow part) and the actuator (metal part in last pic). when the actuator is screwed in those two should move as one.

Which switch assy is not broken, the turn signal switch or the wiper switch? If the guide on the wiper switch is broken the lever flops down.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Black_C4
Heel & Toe

The titty (sorry) on the actuator dosent stay in the guide on the stalk part. The little circle, inside the big circle.

The signal cam and springs are ok.

Im just gonna replace the signal switch as well. Then everything will be new lol

Last edited by Black_C4; 03-11-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:15 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Are you sure you have the bottom end of the switch rod firmly seated in the actual dimmer switch?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Black_C4
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by csthews
Are you sure you have the bottom end of the switch rod firmly seated in the actual dimmer switch?
Yes sir. The dimmer rod was actually easier than it was made out to be to install lol

The whole setup isnt that complicated after Ive installed it all. Thats why Im kinda confused lol

Im perfectly happy "just throwing parts at it" since its my ride. I have a tendency to do that with my projects, since everything will be new when Im done. I absolutely dont treat customers rides the same way lol

Im ordering a wiper switch and will install that next. Seems to be the only other option.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 PM
Black_C4
Heel & Toe

Well, not to leave this post unanswered, I figured my situation out. The hard (expensive) way.

I replaced the wiper/washer multifunction switch, which are getting hard to find in 2018. Got mine for $200 from OReillys.
Replaced the turn signal cam/switch assembly. And the aggravating little plastic dimmer slide or whatever its called. Even installed a new ign lock, while I was in there lol

Turned to to actually be that metal fork, actuator. In the above picture, the little yellow circle inside the large circle, you can see the space. The end of the little fork that fits into the multifunction switch, was tweaked slightly. I bought this car from a mechanic who got it from someone with blown head gaskets lol So who knows.

Tweaked the end farther towards the slide where it fits into.

Get notified of new replies

To Rod Inside Steering Column

Quick Reply: Rod Inside Steering Column