C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ever feel the C4 is too old?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default The real question is...

Why are you showing this Ford as your profile pic for a "Chevrolet Corvette Forum?"

Originally Posted by MR.LT1
I love the C4 but wanted to read your thoughts on this. If one were to buy a used C4 I would imagine one would have to go through the whole car and make sure all is in working order, fluids fresh, no dry rotting hoses etc...Is it worth it to spend hundreds, thousands to get the car in tip top shape especially if it has interior issues to boot? Would it be more feasible to just purchase newer instead of creating a money pit?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:10 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
Why are you showing this Ford as your profile pic for a "Chevrolet Corvette Forum?"

Lover of all cars..I have always loved Corvettes especially the C4. I owned a 1993 Ruby. Then the 2013 Mustang GT you see in the pic I purchased new. Currently driving a 4runner just haven't updated my pic. Will upload hopefully soon the C4 picture when I find the right one..Already have one in mind...

Last edited by MR.LT1; 03-21-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Pulled the 92 out of storage today. Power antenna needs fixing. The Service Ride Control light came on, as it did last fall. Shut the vehicle off and restarted it. It functioned normal, so most likely a connection problem. I forgot how nice a car it is. Otherwise everything is pretty much spot on. For the money, one would be hard pressed to find a nicer real sports car. Buddy just picked up a 2014 WRX limited for $23k. Going to see if he will race for titles when the snow is gone. lol

Yeah, got G44 ...
Old 03-21-2019, 09:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,943 Posts

I love the C4 but wanted to read your thoughts on this. If one were to buy a used C4 I would imagine one would have to go through the whole car and make sure all is in working order, fluids fresh, no dry rotting hoses etc...Is it worth it to spend hundreds, thousands to get the car in tip top shape especially if it has interior issues to boot? Would it be more feasible to just purchase newer instead of creating a money pit?
I'm reasonably sure, someone correct me if I am wrong, that you are buying a used C4 unless you can find one that is sitting in a dealership that hasn't been sold yet.

With any used car, I would definitely want a baseline. If it flows, it goes so everything liquid including brake fluid, trans fluid, rear end, power steering, etc, etc goes. At that age, brake hoses and most rubber will go. Interior, budget about 3 grand for good carpeting and seats. Dash? Hard to say.

What is your money situation? If all you have to spend is $5000, I'd wait till the end of driving season to get the best deal. Also, I would never buy a used car without a PDI from a mechanic that includes dropping the trans pan and a compression and leakdown test if the car is worth something. Budget a few hundred bucks for that. The real issue for me is not the motor. I can easily get parts for that. It is the other stuff that might be made of unobtainium. So how comfortable do you feel when say your power steering hose fails and you need to wait months, possibly never for a new set of hoses? Or how do you feel about dumpster diving in the junkyards hoping they have a part you have? IF you are good with it, sure, go ahead. If not, newer is better, budget permitting.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:34 AM
Rob790
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the things you mention, fluids, hoses etc,.are things you would want to do with any used Corvette that you might buy over ten years old. Big stuff like tires, wheels, paint, interior, exhaust are all part of the fun of this hobby regardless of year. Every generation of Corvette has something that is different from previous or later generations that is unique. For me the C4 is the first "modern" Vette in terms of performance and handling with a hatchback, clam shell hood, flip headlights that feels like a fighter jet from in the cockpit. You won't mind spending money on any generation if the car speaks to you. I always wish I had more money to spend on my 93!

Last edited by Rob790; 03-22-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I have owned a 1989 6 speed convertible for 1 1/2 years now. Bought it for $2,500. I have about 6 grand in it now and still things to do excluding paint. I doubt I'll paint it
It has 120,000 miles on it. I do not consider this an investment, nor is a boat an investment. If you can get out even your lucky in my mind but It's the only car I've ever owned that make me smile when I drive it.
I cant afford a newer Vette this is my budget toy.

I have to say I'm amazed that a 30 year old car runs this way. I've been lucky or it was taken care of before I got it. Engine and transmission run great other little things are what break

If you find a C4 that everything works you'll pay that price or like me buy cheap and work threw the issues but in the end same money
It's a toy
Every freaking Mustang that is near me wants to race !!!

Last edited by BillDurant; 03-22-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Lover of all cars..I have always loved Corvettes especially the C4. I owned a 1993 Ruby. Then the 2013 Mustang GT you see in the pic I purchased new. Currently driving a 4runner just haven't updated my pic. Will upload hopefully soon the C4 picture when I find the right one..Already have one in mind...
Coyote 5.0s are no joke. Wicked cars, although I prefer Vettes
Old 03-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
No.. But I'm not racing. If being the fastest thing on the road is what you want, then maybe choosing something newer is for you.

We've talked about adding a plastic bumper C3 on and off for a while, so no.. The age of the vehicle doesn't bother me in any way whatsoever.

In fact, I kind of like that because new cars are all so blah and "same" The C4 has a classic look you don't really see much anymore.

Truth be known, the C4 has handling capabilities that MOST C4 drivers can't/won't even appreciate. IF drag racing or track competition is the ONLY criteria AND the driver has the ability to exploit the car to full potential, THEN and ONLY THEN do the advancements since the C4's were new come into view. The C4 doing "Tail of the Dragon" has performance that will scare the hell outa most of us drivers, leave alone a spouse in the passenger seat, and never come close to the car's full potential.

I've revealed this before, but results from a survey of ZR-1 owners showed that 60% of respondents have NEVER hit the 7100 rpm rev limiter. Furthermore, of that 60% most of them seldom if ever pushed the rpm to 6000 rpm!

Truth of the matter is, MOST Corvette owners (in the survey) never push their cars to the limits of its capabilities; they only read about it in magazines. And if one is searching for a status symbol, then they'll have to hitch their anchor onto a C8...whenever it actually arrives. (But, you know they'll never put the pedal to the metal for more than a few seconds for a cheap thrill and to impress a passenger, but never actually test the car anywhere near the limits they read about in the magazines!)

Cars are never too old for WAXERS. Been to a cruise night recently?? And, my Vettes are a hobby to me. I enjoy fussing over them, keeping them in top condition, and not ever fearing to take them on long trips (and I DO...OFTEN!).

I'm mostly a WARRIOR vs. a WAXER. But, I do Zaino my new paint and people are amazed when I tell them it is a 1990 model year. I'm convinced most people are impressed with BLING! So, if it looks purdy, age isn't important to most people. Keep it clean, keep up with the maintenance, and it will only mellow gracefully with age!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 03-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:39 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Truth be known, the C4 has handling capabilities that MOST C4 drivers can't/won't even appreciate. IF drag racing or track competition is the ONLY criteria AND the driver has the ability to exploit the car to full potential, THEN and ONLY THEN do the advancements since the C4's were new come into view. The C4 doing "Tail of the Dragon" has performance that will scare the hell outa most of us drivers, leave alone a spouse in the passenger seat, and never come close to the car's full potential.

I've revealed this before, but results from a survey of ZR-1 owners showed that 60% of respondents have NEVER hit the 7100 rpm rev limiter. Furthermore, of that 60% most of them seldom if ever pushed the rpm to 6000 rpm!

Truth of the matter is, MOST Corvette owners (in the survey) never push their cars to the limits of its capabilities; they only read about it in magazines. And if one is searching for a status symbol, then they'll have to hitch their anchor onto a C8...whenever it actually arrives. (But, you know they'll never put the pedal to the metal for more than a few seconds for a cheap thrill and to impress a passenger, but never actually test the car anywhere near the limits they read about in the magazines!)

Cars are never too old for WAXERS. Been to a cruise night recently?? And, my Vettes are a hobby to me. I enjoy fussing over them, keeping them in top condition, and not ever fearing to take them on long trips (and I DO...OFTEN!).

I'm mostly a WARRIOR vs. a WAXER. But, I do Zaino my new paint and people are amazed when I tell them it is a 1990 model year. I'm convinced most people are impressed with BLING! So, if it looks purdy, age isn't important to most people. Keep it clean, keep up with the maintenance, and it will only mellow gracefully with age!
with Paul as well. AND, thanks Paul for fussing over your 95 black M6 that I'm now the proud owner of !!

Regards,
John
Old 03-22-2019, 11:47 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Go drive a C3 (preferably an early one) and ask that question again.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:20 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

"Ever feel the C4 is too old?"

Sometimes. One thing that comes to mind is it may be old year/mileage-wise, but it's not so old that it's "cool" yet. Like 57 Chevy, 65 Mustang, 69 Camaro, 67 GTO kinda cool.
To date, history just sees it as old, which is why they're a smokin deal for the money right now. This is subject to change as the calendar advances. Suddenly, 200 horsepower (455 ci) V8, late 70's, early 80's Firebirds are getting big bucks at the big TV auctions. Those things were turds. If they can increase in collectible value, we're in the clear.

Either way, I'll be putting my not-so-fancy C4 in our local car show, right between my buddies 37 Fords. Hey, if they don't care, why should I? ;-)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 PM
Dls1dls1
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Did you say Tail of the Dragon ???

I just drove the Dragon in my 85 last weekend at Corvette Expo. I would highly recommend it for anyone that wants to appreciate what GM was able to do handling wise in the mid 80's. Pics are from the ride.

My 85

C4, C5, and C6 on the Dragon
The following 3 users liked this post by Dls1dls1:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (03-25-2019), MR.LT1 (03-25-2019), ZHammer (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:57 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
If you like working on your cars yourself - then no.

I've had mine and it has less $ in it than my wife's 2005 Subaru...

It's an 85, now 383 with 6 speed, carb - computer is gone.. runs great and is lots of fun ………… I have to do a tune up this year - so there goes another $18.00.
WOW, that is a beautiful car. As for thinking the C4 is getting old... NEVER! It’s a timeless classic. I was just entering my driving years (16) when the first C4 came out and I have always loved the high tech ( at the time ) and styling of the car. The way the front end tilted all the way up to expose the engine bay was an AWESOME concept. I am planning on adding a few more to my table right beside my one owner 1995.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:45 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Oh yeah.. One of the greatest experiences I ever had was a trip from Cincy to Vegas in the 85. It was a blast.

The Mrs. idea, actually. Even I thought it was nuts till I did it. 34 YO car in the desert, what could go wrong?

It's mostly new now anyway, and ran perfectly. I wouldn't trade those two weeks for anything and no rental car (I don't care what it is) would have been as much fun as my C4.

I'm a huge fan. I don't think they get their due, generally.. But they're starting to be old enough to get attention now (retro-cool styling) and, as you say, the platform itself is exceptional even now. More than what most drivers (myself included) will ever exploit.

The following 2 users liked this post by confab:
Karvette (03-24-2019), Rob790 (03-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Ever feel the C4 is too old?