C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dangerous - abs activates upon hitting bump right before turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Dangerous - abs activates upon hitting bump right before turn

Want to see if anyone else has ran into this.

on my 93, i was slowing down for a 270 deg downhill highway on ramp.

right before the ramp was a bump. When i hit bump abs activated making brakes useless for a second before the 270 deg turn

is this normal?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

If your wheel left the asphalt for a split second...which it obviously did, then yeah, it's normal. The brakes weren't useless...but their effectiveness at that moment (at least for that one or two tires) was reduced.

How's your shocks? And tire pressure?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yes this is normal and in fact is described by Dave McLellan in Corvette From The Inside. When they were developing ABS for the C4 there was initially a 1-second lag before the abs system would allow the brakes to be reapplied. This was put in the system to overcome issues when the left side of the car was on a different type of road surface than the right side (think ice patch). However during testing it was discovered that if the brakes were applied and then the car hit a bump and went airborne the ABS system would prevent the brakes from being reapplied for that full second. He says that Bosch was able to reduce the lag to a half-second which must seem like a long time when you hit a bump at say 100mph.
The following users liked this post:
RtStuf (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Yes this is normal and in fact is described by Dave McLellan in Corvette From The Inside. When they were developing ABS for the C4 there was initially a 1-second lag before the abs system would allow the brakes to be reapplied. This was put in the system to overcome issues when the left side of the car was on a different type of road surface than the right side (think ice patch). However during testing it was discovered that if the brakes were applied and then the car hit a bump and went airborne the ABS system would prevent the brakes from being reapplied for that full second. He says that Bosch was able to reduce the lag to a half-second which must seem like a long time when you hit a bump at say 100mph.
any idea when the 1/2 second lag went into effect?

i seem to remember hearing the abs/asr systems were optimized again in the 95 and up model year
Old 03-25-2019, 10:37 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
If your wheel left the asphalt for a split second...which it obviously did, then yeah, it's normal. The brakes weren't useless...but their effectiveness at that moment (at least for that one or two tires) was reduced.

Just set tire pressures to 34 psi - prob higher than that since id been driving 3.5 hrs
bilstein z51 shocks (installed in 2002 so perhaps they are old?)
stock vert front springs
stiffer z07 rear spring

del alium control arm bushings
z07 front sway bar with heim end links
banski rear end heim joint suspension

Last edited by dizwiz24; 03-25-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

34 lbs is way too high, IMO. The 'Vette isn't heavy and has a big (wide) tire. Don't need a lot of pressure.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
any idea when the 1/2 second lag went into effect?

i seem to remember hearing the abs/asr systems were optimized again in the 95 and up model year

I did go back and look but the book does not give any definitive answer as to when the 1/2 second lag went into effect. It indicates that it took in excess of a year as Bosch needed to go through a winter cycle with their testing.

Black Book indicated that 86 was the 1st year for the Bosch ABS system so perhaps 87 or 88.
The only other thing I find in the Black Book is mention that 1990 had "improved ABS and Yaw control" so perhaps it was not until 1990.

ASR first became standard in 1992 this was also a Bosch system that does interact with the brake system.

The next mention isn't until 1995 when it indicates that all 95 vettes Except ZR1 came standard with the latest ABS/ASR-5 while the ZR1 retained the ABS/ ASR-2S.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

34 lbs is way too high, IMO. The 'Vette isn't heavy and has a big (wide) tire. Don't need a lot of pressure.
Here's a simple way to see if your air pressure is in the ballpark or not. I have some 'sidewalk chalk' from when the kids were little. Put about a 1" wide mark from sidewall to sidewall on all 4 tires. Now take it out for about 4-8 blocks then review the chalk marks. If the middle is still solid but the edges are gone, you're low on air pressure. If on the other than the middle is gone yet the edges are solid, you're too high on pressure. You're looks for even wear across the whole width of the tire.

Personally I think 32-34 lbs should be in the ballpark but you need to confirm it's right for your car.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:06 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I did go back and look but the book does not give any definitive answer as to when the 1/2 second lag went into effect. It indicates that it took in excess of a year as Bosch needed to go through a winter cycle with their testing.

Black Book indicated that 86 was the 1st year for the Bosch ABS system so perhaps 87 or 88.
The only other thing I find in the Black Book is mention that 1990 had "improved ABS and Yaw control" so perhaps it was not until 1990.

ASR first became standard in 1992 this was also a Bosch system that does interact with the brake system.

The next mention isn't until 1995 when it indicates that all 95 vettes Except ZR1 came standard with the latest ABS/ASR-5 while the ZR1 retained the ABS/ ASR-2S.
ive thought about upgrading to abs/asr-5 system.
didnt know whether itd be worth it or pita.

also dont know if intertwined with 93 ecm - at that point if i need new ecm itd be too much of a pita
Old 03-28-2019, 10:17 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

BEAT me toit, Tom! (my 2017 F250...yeah, a FORD...does the same thing - for same reason when braking on a "washboard" surface)
Old 03-28-2019, 11:19 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

So very true. For normal street driving, about 30psi (cold) is about ideal. Go any higher and you being to lose traction earlier. I've experienced this myself, with near disastrous results.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
. If the middle is still solid but the edges are gone, you're low on air pressure..
The chalk in the middle will always be gone, no matter what the air pressure is.

Get notified of new replies

To Dangerous - abs activates upon hitting bump right before turn

Quick Reply: Dangerous - abs activates upon hitting bump right before turn