C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What did I do to the clutch pedal 84 4+3

 
Old 04-12-2019, 05:34 PM
  #1  
georgesauto
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I do to the clutch pedal 84 4+3

I am still prepping my 20 year old storage 84 vette, and I thought
I have reached the stage of moving the car under power through
my crowded garage. In front of me is a wall, behind me is my 68 C3
parked transversely.
Pulled the c3 out of the way with my tractor and thought I would put safety blocks
behind the rear tires of the C4. to prevent me from flying across the garage.

I remembered that a few weeks ago the clutch pedal was
stiff as he## and I stepped hard and went really free. I had some
difficulty finding reverse. Thought it was in ,pushed the clutch in and started
car. Let idle 10 min till got 800 RPM and let the clutch out.
NOTHING. ! think something in the leakage let go.
The pedal has some spring back but I don't remember such
a loose pedal.
WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED ??

Tomorrow I am hoping to be able to pull the c4 out of its
parking position in neutral.with my quad. If it rolls I will put
the vette in gear and see if I get resistance.
I am hoping I can get it out of the garage and back
to the other side where I have my BENDPAC.lift.

Any help ??

Last edited by georgesauto; 04-12-2019 at 05:44 PM. Reason: miss spelling
georgesauto is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:53 PM
  #2  
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Posts: 15,882
Recieved 682 Likes on 507 Posts
Default

Not sure what went on with the clutch, either hydraulic or mechanical, but in the future, you don't want to start a car stored 20 years with the clutch down and idle for 10 minutes. The thrust bearing must have been pretty dry and you don't want the pressure plate pushing on that thing during a 20 year dry startup. If you had started it before, disregard my comment.
383vett is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:43 PM
  #3  
confab
CF Senior Member
 
confab's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Greater Cincinnati Area.
Posts: 3,372
Recieved 311 Likes on 276 Posts
Default

Check your linkage.. If nothing there, I have seen long term storage vehicles actually rust the clutch up to the point it won't disengage without breaking something.

The surface area of the disk is large enough that it doesn't take as much rust as you think to stick it there.

Ironically, if you don't bend the fingers up mashing on it, you can carefully dissassemble the clutch and break it all loose, reassemble and it is usually fine.

WARNING: If the clutch isn't coming off and you manage to start the car with the trans in gear regardless, it may sling you across the garage into something.. Like your other Vette!
confab is online now  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:45 PM
  #4  
confab
CF Senior Member
 
confab's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Greater Cincinnati Area.
Posts: 3,372
Recieved 311 Likes on 276 Posts
Default

PS: If you do need to take it apart, you can (carefully) test the clutch hat action in a press.. Watch for bent or broken fingers while you do this.
confab is online now  
Old 04-12-2019, 07:37 PM
  #5  
georgesauto
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Not sure what went on with the clutch, either hydraulic or mechanical, but in the future, you don't want to start a car stored 20 years with the clutch down and idle for 10 minutes. The thrust bearing must have been pretty dry and you don't want the pressure plate pushing on that thing during a 20 year dry startup. If you had started it before, disregard my comment.
Yes I have been starting the car with clutch pedal up and gear shift in the
center (neutral) position. It was only when the car was warmed up I depressed
what I thought was a non working pedal and slid the gear shift (but I don't think it
went all the way into gear). With the car off it seemed I could move the shift into 2 up and
2 down a lot further.. But I could not seem to find up and left.

I also think there is a lock out that prevents starting the car in gear. It may be the
pedal position. So I never ran the clutch throw out bearing for any length of time.
That is why I want to shift gears while pushing the car. If I can only engage
a gear (lock the wheels) and return to neutral I suspect something in linkage.
With a helper pushing the pedal down with the car in gear an me pulling with the quad
and it doesn't release the trans I would also suspect a broken linkage.
georgesauto is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 07:46 PM
  #6  
georgesauto
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by confab View Post
Check your linkage.. If nothing there, I have seen long term storage vehicles actually rust the clutch up to the point it won't disengage without breaking something.

The surface area of the disk is large enough that it doesn't take as much rust as you think to stick it there.

Ironically, if you don't bend the fingers up mashing on it, you can carefully dissassemble the clutch and break it all loose, reassemble and it is usually fine.

WARNING: If the clutch isn't coming off and you manage to start the car with the trans in gear regardless, it may sling you across the garage into something.. Like your other Vette!
I do not know if the vette is a lever or hydraulic.

But the snapping of whatever broke was not under a tremendous pressure.

I don't think I can find out till I get the
car on a lift.

If I had a frozen pressure plate would I be able to feel the shifter
trans gears select different gear with motor off?

question
How do you push a vette from the rear with say a quad?
georgesauto is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 07:51 PM
  #7  
confab
CF Senior Member
 
confab's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Greater Cincinnati Area.
Posts: 3,372
Recieved 311 Likes on 276 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by georgesauto View Post
I do not know if the vette is a lever or hydraulic.
Hydraulic, I believe..

If I had a frozen pressure plate would I be able to feel the shifter
trans gears select different gear with motor off?
Yes..

question
How do you push a vette from the rear with say a quad?
I dunno? Ideally, you would pull it if you had to move it.
confab is online now  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: