C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Progress report on the Cheap 88 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:01 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Progress report on the Cheap 88 Convertible

This is the continuation and progress thread for my $3500 88 Roadster. My first thread is located here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...te-so-far.html

Yesterday was a very busy day..... with lots of driving involved!!

For starters, the reason it ran so rough and didn't seem to have a lot of power was because the timing was retarded about 30 degrees is my guess. I painted the timing marks silver and when I went to find the balancer timing mark with the light, it was no where to be found. The distributor was already loose (surprise surprise) so I turned it around to 6 degrees BTDC and then had to go through the process of resetting the idle, the IAC, and the TPS.

Fires right up and runs great!! I have to do a little more investigation but am under the impression that the engine in this car has been replaced, or has had some significant work done that required engine removal and teardown. I need to borrow a buddy's borescope to confirm. The L98 engine I put in my S-10 was a surprise as it too had been rebuilt and the previous owner had no idea.

After having it on the freeway at 70+ mph for a half hour or so, I made the decision to go ahead and move tires closer to the top of the list. They do have some flat spots in them and even though they have 9/32 tread left on them, they are 19 years old..... manufactured the 26th week of 2000. I am scheduled for 4 new Toyo's and a 4 wheel alignment this next Saturday @ 8am.

I pulled the instrument cluster, tore it down, cleaned all of the IC contacts for the lights, cleaned up the contacts on the sockets, put it back together and now the instruments all light up. I love that display!!! So Retro!! I feel like I'm driving the Batmobile.

My power antenna mast showed up in the mail yesterday and the rebuild gears for the headlight motors should be here on Monday. I ordered the transistor to repair the failed Time Delay module for the interior lights, and I need to take apart the climate control. The climate control works but the "Cool" button doesn't always react when it is pressed. All the other buttons seem fine.

Today I plan on removing and inspecting the spark plugs, same for the distributor cap, and then an oil change...….

I have finally come up with a name for the car...… everyone is officially calling it "The Redneck Rocket"

More to follow

Jared

Last edited by lotsofspareparts; 05-01-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sounds like fun with your '88; any pics?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Sounds like fun with your '88; any pics?
I will take some more today, lot's of work to be done!!

Jared
Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

you know your a red neck when you and your dog both pee on the same tree.
The following users liked this post:
marines (06-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 12:20 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
you know your a red neck when you and your dog both pee on the same tree.
I pee off the back porch, I think that also qualifies.

Jared
Old 04-14-2019, 12:30 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

As you can see the plug in the picture is beautiful, the rest look exactly the same!!

I do have a few parts of my number segments that aren't lighting up, but I can live with that for now. I plan on pulling the cluster again and cleaning all the segment contacts, pretty sure these cluster use that funky rubber strip and they can become slightly dislodged, I've dealt with it in the past on other types of LCD displays.

Took a picture of the part of the rear shelf where I clay barred and cut and polished. The whole car is covered in a very fine mist of white paint? Not sure how that happened but the bar pulls it right out.

I've got the headlights locked in the up position until the rebuild kits for the motors arrive.

Getting ready to run to Wal-Mart for some oil and filter and the wife wants some groceries.

Threw in a couple of pictures of the S-10.... poor thing doesn't get driven very much anymore!!

Jared
Old 04-14-2019, 05:32 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Got it up in the air for an oil change and my suspicions about it being a new motor have now been confirmed.

It's either new or rebuilt.

Pictures tell the tale, guys that know what to look for will see it right away. I tried getting a picture of what it looks like in the head under the oil cap but they were too blurry, you could eat out of there it is so clean.

So it's got a new cooling system (radiator, water pump, and hoses), new/rebuilt engine, new starter, and new motor mounts. Saw the new Knock Sensor and O2 Sensor as well

I certainly don't think I got hurt at $3500.

Jared
Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I dig the TPI S10. F-Bod manafolds gotta go, though!

'Vette looks not bad.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:17 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I dig the TPI S10. F-Bod manafolds gotta go, though!

'Vette looks not bad.
Unfortunately, without some serious modifications like taller motor mounts which then would have required a body lift, the F body manifolds are the only thing that fits. If it was 2wd I could get away with any manifolds.

Jared
Old 04-14-2019, 09:14 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

More progress to report....

Got the mast for the power antenna swapped out, the original had a snapped plastic cable. Fairly simple to do, and way cheaper than replacing the entire assembly.

While I had the wheel off I inspected the brakes, nothing to inspect really..... they are also newer, rotors and pads anyways, calipers look original.

Decided to pull the front wheel, front brakes are also new, rotors and pads, original calipers.

;Was wondering what the 3 little buttons do on the seats, according to the owners manual they are the release buttons for the lumbar supports. Neither side works so I will be tearing into the motors/pumps to replace the diaphrams which have more than likely come apart.

My headlight motor repair gears should be in tomorrow.....so that will be next on my list.

Jared

Jared
Old 04-19-2019, 02:03 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Another busy day today!!

Went ahead and installed the rebuild kits for the headlight motors this morning before I went to work. Took all of about 2 hours from start to tools put away. Very simple job and so much more affordable than purchasing new motors. One thing I did notice that was peculiar..... there was nothing wrong with the nylon gears in either motor..... but the bushings behind the gear had been reduced to dust!!

Have had an issue with the turn signal stalk and turn cancel since purchase, I left work early today since we were slow and pulled the steering column apart far enough to correct the issue. When the column was disassembled by the seller to pull the lock cylinder to have a new key cut, he used the wrong diameter screw when he reattached the stalk for the turn signals, that caused the stalk to become really floppy and while driving today the signals stopped working altogether. I found the proper screw and got it tightened up and it works like new again. The turn signal cancel cam was reinstalled upside down when he reassembled the column.... got that corrected and the turn signals actually cancel when they are supposed to now!!

Probably not going to do a whole lot of work to it this weekend, tires and alignment on Saturday and then a drive up north to my parents house for my birthday.

Have a great weekend guys!!

Jared
Old 04-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Great job, you have done a lot is not much time. Now get out and enjoy your car.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Great job, you have done a lot is not much time. Now get out and enjoy your car.
I appreciate that, thank you. I enjoy working with my hands and sort of grew up in the wrecking yard so to speak. My Stepfather was always working on something or buying a car and fixing it up and selling it.

I actually changed my mind about not doing anything to the car this weekend.

The replacement transistor for the interior light delay module should be arriving today, and I may want to tackle the lumbar support air motors...… we will see what the weekend has in store!!

Jared
Old 04-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
I appreciate that, thank you. I enjoy working with my hands and sort of grew up in the wrecking yard so to speak. My Stepfather was always working on something or buying a car and fixing it up and selling it.

The replacement transistor for the interior light delay module should be arriving today, and I may want to tackle the lumbar support air motors...… we will see what the weekend has in store!!

Jared
"Mission creep", I know it all to well.
I was just going to "freshen up" the engine in my 68 Caprice, a few hours later the entire driveline was out of the car, never to go back in.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:40 AM
Maldini
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts

Jared
Don't be shocked if the bladders in your seats are shot in addition to the diaphragm in the pumps. After 29 years, there was hardly anything left of mine and they most definitely would not hold air. Simple enough to replace though, probably took me no more than an hour for both seats once the replacement bladders arrived.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:42 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by Maldini
Don't be shocked if the bladders in your seats are shot in addition to the diaphragm in the pumps. After 29 years, there was hardly anything left of mine and they most definitely would not hold air. Simple enough to replace though, probably took me no more than an hour for both seats once the replacement bladders arrived.
Just in case I do need them, where did you purchase your bladders?

Jared
Old 04-20-2019, 12:53 AM
Maldini
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm in Canada so I ordered from Corvette Depot though I am pretty sure they originated from Corvette Central. Either way, they're probably all made by the same manufacturer (i'm guessing anyway).

As I said, it's a really simple job, but feel free to hit me up if you need to. I'd be more than happy to give you a few pointers.

Get notified of new replies

To Progress report on the Cheap 88 Convertible

Old 04-21-2019, 07:05 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Started the "best I can do" restoration of the neglected black paint. I clay barred the entire hood and cut it with Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound and a wool pad, and then a fine cut/polish also with Meguiars on a foam finishing pad.

It's turning out pretty nice, lots of rock chips in the hood that need to be touched up though.

Tossed in a picture of the new Toyo's and I don't think I've posted an engine compartment pic... so there's one of those as well. I really need to take care of those copper colored valve covers.

Jared
Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

man you have done a bunch of repair work, good job. All those new parts you found while working on the car makes for a better and better buy for you. The head light motor rebuild kit you bought. Was it with more nylon gears or the brass gears? I have one that just started NOT comming up when the switch is pulled.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
man you have done a bunch of repair work, good job. All those new parts you found while working on the car makes for a better and better buy for you. The head light motor rebuild kit you bought. Was it with more nylon gears or the brass gears? I have one that just started NOT comming up when the switch is pulled.
I'm on a budget...… so I bought the nylon gear kit. And I am glad I did. $25.49 with free shipping did both motors. eBay item number 321862507726

The thing about it is that both of my original nylon gears were in perfect shape...… It was the 3 plastic bushings behind the gears that had turned to dust. Overpriced brass gears would have done nothing to alleviate that!!

Jared
The following users liked this post:
ghoastrider1 (04-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Progress report on the Cheap 88 Convertible