C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

need help with Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 03:51 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default need help with Windshield

Has anyone got a parts breakdown for the windshield and moldings that are needed for a replacement of the windshield?
Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Unless you are planning on DIY, I would have glass company give a complete estimate.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:39 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I am but their saying the weather stripping is hard to come by. No, somethings I would not try that is one. I wanted to see for my self if I can get what is needed and I'd like to what is needed.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:21 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the windshield replaced in my 92 and they told me they couldn’t get the weatherstripping and that I would have to bring it with me when I brought the car in. I think I ordered it from eBay.

Last edited by Roys92BlackRose; 04-30-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Surfing. it appears butyl tape is the substitution. IDK about 94-96 with passenger side air bag. I think urathane would be required, because deployment requires windshield to deflect air bag towards passenger.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:12 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I had my c4 windshield changed. The A-Pilliar weatherstrip, the windshield and 3-M window weld sealer is what was used. Be sure the shop you are using has changed a C-4 windshield before. The Safe-lite tech.did not have any experience changing a C-4 and began bending up the aluminum molding that surrounds the W/S, as well as not removing about half the screws that holds the hold the stainless W/S holding strips. He drilled the heads off and left the screws in the body.

I ended up having to repair everything he did not finish properly. Good luck with your replacement.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:09 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by zachaeous
I had my c4 windshield changed. The A-Pilliar weatherstrip, the windshield and 3-M window weld sealer is what was used. Be sure the shop you are using has changed a C-4 windshield before. The Safe-lite tech.did not have any experience changing a C-4 and began bending up the aluminum molding that surrounds the W/S, as well as not removing about half the screws that holds the hold the stainless W/S holding strips. He drilled the heads off and left the screws in the body.

I ended up having to repair everything he did not finish properly. Good luck with your replacement.
Safelite did mine. But! I had to call around to find one of their shops that had a tech experienced with a C4 windshield.
The rubber comes from Corvette Rubber Co (CRC). Wilcox (a FORUM SPONSOR) provides CRC rubber weatherstripping.you'll need.
I reused the chrome trim and the underlying support strips. BUT, be very careful when removing them, and bring along some 3M Adhesive Remover, (or the like) to clean up those pieces so they can be reused.

In all, it went very well. Because I supplied my own rubber, and did the prepping while at their shop (not done on (my) driveway like they usually do), I drove away with a beautiful windshield for ~$250 (IIRC).

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-02-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To need help with Windshield

Quick Reply: need help with Windshield