C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 Corvette Drivers Door Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:37 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default 1989 Corvette Drivers Door Problem

Hello all, the drivers window on my '89 goes down when I press the power button, but stops going down all the way. It leaves about 10 inches of glass still rolled up. I took the panel off and at the time the glass stops going down the teeth continue rotating down, but the glass itself stops. I am wondering if this is a regulator motor problem and if the motor can be replaced by itself and how difficult it is. I have an extra 1989 window assembly that has the regulator on it and was wondering if I could take that one and replace the bad one if that is the problem. What would make the teeth continue rotating down, but the glass itself stop. Stripped teeth ? Thank you.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Take window loose from regulator, and remove from door. Check operation of regulator. The teeth on regulator are visible.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:39 AM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Thank you, Kevova. I had a look at a used door assembly I have and you are right you can see the teeth on the regulator. Actually, I don't know if all the teeth on regulator are visible as I didn't try to rotate the assembly to see them rotate, but after considering what needed to be done to install that used assembly, I think it can be done, but it will be tricky detaching all the pull bars and removing that silver guard plate (don't know the name). I have been able to loosen that silver plate and get enough room to install a bose speaker in the door, but taking that plate right out looks a little tricker. So I called a local bodyshop and asked what they charge and they told me by the book it was 1.3 hours, which translated to $144 Canadian ($107 US) and I booked an appointment with them to do it, I have a feeling it will take longer than 1.3 hours though.....I just hope the bill does not go much higher. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:41 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by ~ Anno Domini
I have been able to loosen that silver plate and get enough room to install a bose speaker in the door,
Is there any possibility that your window mechanism is hitting your new Bose speaker?

Old 05-14-2019, 04:40 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Thank you for that suggestion, Roy. The window was rolling up and down for months after the Bose speaker was installed. I don't hear any sounds and don't think the window mechanism is hitting it. Wish it were the case as I could make the adjustments. That is a great thought though and I appreciate it greatly.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Update: Had a local bodyshop install a used, factory original, 1989 window assembly. They charged $144 Canadian ($107 US). They did a good job. The window now rolls up and down again. Thank you to all who commented with your thoughts. :-)

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Corvette Drivers Door Problem

Quick Reply: 1989 Corvette Drivers Door Problem