Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 Corvette Drivers Door Problem

Old 05-10-2019, 02:37 PM
~ Anno Domini
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1989 Corvette Drivers Door Problem

Hello all, the drivers window on my '89 goes down when I press the power button, but stops going down all the way. It leaves about 10 inches of glass still rolled up. I took the panel off and at the time the glass stops going down the teeth continue rotating down, but the glass itself stops. I am wondering if this is a regulator motor problem and if the motor can be replaced by itself and how difficult it is. I have an extra 1989 window assembly that has the regulator on it and was wondering if I could take that one and replace the bad one if that is the problem. What would make the teeth continue rotating down, but the glass itself stop. Stripped teeth ? Thank you.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Received 359 Likes on 343 Posts

Take window loose from regulator, and remove from door. Check operation of regulator. The teeth on regulator are visible.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:39 AM
~ Anno Domini
CF Senior Member

Thank you, Kevova. I had a look at a used door assembly I have and you are right you can see the teeth on the regulator. Actually, I don't know if all the teeth on regulator are visible as I didn't try to rotate the assembly to see them rotate, but after considering what needed to be done to install that used assembly, I think it can be done, but it will be tricky detaching all the pull bars and removing that silver guard plate (don't know the name). I have been able to loosen that silver plate and get enough room to install a bose speaker in the door, but taking that plate right out looks a little tricker. So I called a local bodyshop and asked what they charge and they told me by the book it was 1.3 hours, which translated to $144 Canadian ($107 US) and I booked an appointment with them to do it, I have a feeling it will take longer than 1.3 hours though.....I just hope the bill does not go much higher. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:41 AM
Hot Rod Roy
CF Senior Member

Received 305 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by ~ Anno Domini View Post
I have been able to loosen that silver plate and get enough room to install a bose speaker in the door,
Is there any possibility that your window mechanism is hitting your new Bose speaker?

Old 05-14-2019, 04:40 PM
~ Anno Domini
CF Senior Member

Thank you for that suggestion, Roy. The window was rolling up and down for months after the Bose speaker was installed. I don't hear any sounds and don't think the window mechanism is hitting it. Wish it were the case as I could make the adjustments. That is a great thought though and I appreciate it greatly.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 PM
~ Anno Domini
CF Senior Member

Update: Had a local bodyshop install a used, factory original, 1989 window assembly. They charged $144 Canadian ($107 US). They did a good job. The window now rolls up and down again. Thank you to all who commented with your thoughts. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 Corvette Drivers Door Problem

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: