C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:16 PM
flyingvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water pump?

1994 LT1. Been proudly running the original water pump, but that may have just come to an end. Pulled into my garage today, smelled coolant, and there was a small amount dripping on the floor. Hoses seem fine, so I started it and there was a mist of antifreeze coming off the belt. I looked at the water pump with a mirror and there seemed to be coolant dripping from just below what I am assuming is the weep hole. Am I correct in assuming the pump is toast? Bonus question, car was running fine, but should I throw in another opti while I’m there?

I was planning a coolant flush next month... I guess the car gods agree.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 181 Posts

Probably water pump is shot. Drip from the bottom means impending death.

I personally don't think I'd mess with opti if car is running okay. But just my opinion.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:45 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with both, replace the water pump but leave the good running Opti alone. I think too many Opti problems come from people preemptively replacing a good Opti with a lesser quality aftermarket unit.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM
flyingvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good, seems like finding a good aftermarket opti isn’t easy. Once I get the old pump out, does anybody know of a reason why I couldn’t run the engine for 30 seconds or so just to make sure the opti is still good before I put it all back together?

Last edited by flyingvette; 05-30-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

When you change out the water pump\ take some time and install a small brass fitting into the weep hole of the pump. I used the fitting that fit into a compression fitting. The once that is in (drill out the hole a little if necessary) then epoxy around the fitting to seal the hole. Then install the pump. Next use a piece of vinyl tubing and push it over the fitting and run the tubing down past the Opti and zip tie it in place so the outlet is well below the Opti. So in the future if the water pump goes and starts to drip out the weep hole it will drain past the Opti. Save a very expensive part.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:18 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

In addition to the above, I would pull the cap and rotor, clean it up inside, replace the cap and rotor, plugs and ignition wires.... now is the time....

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump?

Quick Reply: Water pump?