C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

aftermarket stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:26 AM
bilt350
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket stereo install

hello all- new member and first time corvette owner here. i recently purchased my first corvette, a 1994 torch red coupe. i love everything about the car, except for the stereo system. the previous owner installed an aftermarket single din cd player. the rear speakers sound ok but the front speakers don't work at all. i have purchased 4 nice jbl speakers and a small amp that i'd like to install but i'm a little gun shy after reading the horror stories about the original bose system. can i just unhook the bose stuff and rewire the new system in without any problems? is that the best way to do it? will my power antenna still work? any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Old 07-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Most aftermarket radio installs have already bypassed all the factory Bose equipment. I would check for wiring mods, if any, at reciever connector and antenna relay to reduce possible WTF situation.
The following users liked this post:
BLKMAMBA (07-05-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:21 AM
bilt350
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the radio receiver and antenna relay both in the bin behind the passenger seat? pardon my ignorance, this is my first corvette and first bose system. i've done several stereo installs over the years, but never on anything like this. after i figure this install out (if i can), my father wants me to install a aftermarket stereo and speakers in his 88 corvette convertible. it still has the stock bose stereo/cd player and speakers, so that should be fun too- lol. thanks
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

They should be. It's pretty much "Old School" install, position your speakers and run wires. Locating amp is kind of a thing since there's a lack of interior space.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:56 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I am in the middle of installing complete new myself. if you buy a head unit from Crutchfield you get a harness included that is completely plug and play, now that speakers are changed it depends on how they were wired. anyway, don't be intimidated, same as any other if wiring from new.I lucked out and new DD head unit was exactly the same size as the factory Bose, so no trimming of dash trim. the depth was the same but due to RCA probably could use more room I'll trim the sub dash structure for more depth for ease of wiring.

Get notified of new replies

To aftermarket stereo install

Quick Reply: aftermarket stereo install