C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

the greater leap, C3 to C4 or C4 to C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Oh, I thought the OP was talking exit to intro. IDK?
Old 07-12-2019, 05:00 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Oh, I thought the OP was talking exit to intro. IDK?

I think so, in which case c1 to c2 and c3 to c4 are the ONLY possible options. A lt4 c4 is every bit as good, maybe better, than a 97 c5.

Last edited by FAUEE; 07-12-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:06 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

LT4s are stout. Exit to intro makes sense.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:03 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

C3 to c4 is buggy to car. C4 with some stiffening etc will be similar to a c5. I am talking about a cert with a hard top though, not a coupe.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:54 PM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

C3 to C4 was the biggest jump in my opinion. The C4 introduced the platform which can still be recognized in the C7 chassis. That's pretty significant.

The C5 was a big improvement but it was just that. An improvement. And 12 years down the road of course improvements are expected to be significant.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by PerKr
C3 to C4 was the biggest jump in my opinion. The C4 introduced the platform which can still be recognized in the C7 chassis. That's pretty significant.

The C5 was a big improvement but it was just that. An improvement. And 12 years down the road of course improvements are expected to be significant.
I don't disagree about the C3>C4 jump being the biggest leap. But there is literally nothing in the C5-C7 platforms that is recognizable from a C4. Not a single part from a C4 interchanges. The suspensions - especially the rear suspensions - are completely different. The transmission is moved to the rear in the C5. Other than having unibody frames (like literally every other car in 1997), their engines ahead of the driver, using a double-A-arm front suspension, and using fiberglass monoleaf springs, there are no similarities at all.

BTW, one massive upgrade from the C3 to C4 that we kind of glossed over is that move from body-on-frame construction with frame rails to a unibody design. That's a pretty massive update. And even though the C4 was more flexible than we'd like, it did pave the way for much stiffer unibodies in the C5/6/7.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:04 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
I don't disagree about the C3>C4 jump being the biggest leap. But there is literally nothing in the C5-C7 platforms that is recognizable from a C4. Not a single part from a C4 interchanges. The suspensions - especially the rear suspensions - are completely different. The transmission is moved to the rear in the C5. Other than having unibody frames (like literally every other car in 1997), their engines ahead of the driver, using a double-A-arm front suspension, and using fiberglass monoleaf springs, there are no similarities at all.

BTW, one massive upgrade from the C3 to C4 that we kind of glossed over is that move from body-on-frame construction with frame rails to a unibody design. That's a pretty massive update. And even though the C4 was more flexible than we'd like, it did pave the way for much stiffer unibodies in the C5/6/7.
Didn't gm call the C4 frame a uniframe because it wasn't quite a full unibody or am I remembering wrong?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by PerKr
C3 to C4 was the biggest jump in my opinion. The C4 introduced the platform which can still be recognized in the C7 chassis.

But there is literally nothing in the C5-C7 platforms that is recognizable from a C4.
I Dis-

The basic architecture that was laid out for the C4, is most certainly "recognizable" in the C7.

Look at the C2/3 architecture/design/philosophy:

Now look at the C4. See anything at all, that is similar? No...those platforms could have come from different companies.

Now the C7. While there are profound improvements....I see the lineage; Unit structure with similar shapes, gussets, cross members and dimensions, "free standing" drive train, I see the architecture/design/philosophy that was created w/the C4. This architecture/design/philosophy didn't exist before the C4, from any auto maker, but it still exists today, in the C7....

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-14-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:33 PM
PacerX
Burning Brakes

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

I Dis-

The basic architecture that was laid out for the C4, is most certainly "recognizable" in the C7.

Now look at the C4. See anything at all, that is similar? No...those platforms could have come from different companies.

Now the C7. While there are profound improvements....I see the lineage; Unit structure with similar shapes, gussets, cross members and dimensions, "free standing" drive train, I see the architecture/design/philosophy that was created w/the C4. This architecture/design/philosophy didn't exist before the C4, from any auto maker, but it still exists today, in the C7....

I agree with you. That's the most radical structure change in the history of the car, maybe until we see the C8.

The other thing for me is the huge leap an L98 was over the earlier motors. GM was just starting to make heads and tails of what could be done with fuel injection and more modern engine controls. TBI is a kludge, basically a carburetor by another means. The next step, the LT1 with the Optispark showed what could be done when you really REALLY knew where the pistons were in relation to the valves and how you could play with the timing and injector firing.

The only real argument for any other generation I see is C4 ---> C5, with the LS.

C8 looks to blow all that right out of the water though. Fearless prediction: don't be shocked when electric motors show up at the front wheels on the C8.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PacerX
I agree with you. That's the most radical structure change in the history of the car, maybe until we see the C8.

The other thing for me is the huge leap an L98 was over the earlier motors. GM was just starting to make heads and tails of what could be done with fuel injection and more modern engine controls. TBI is a kludge, basically a carburetor by another means. The next step, the LT1 with the Optispark showed what could be done when you really REALLY knew where the pistons were in relation to the valves and how you could play with the timing and injector firing.

The only real argument for any other generation I see is C4 ---> C5, with the LS.

C8 looks to blow all that right out of the water though. Fearless prediction: don't be shocked when electric motors show up at the front wheels on the C8.
I just don't see the base car having electric motors. Z06 and up? Hell yea it's a possibility.

As for the LS architecture, it was an improvement in every respect (well technically a downgrade from the LT-5 but that's an entirely different animal honestly) except for the trigger... iirc something about square wave timing vs sine wave and one being able to be tweaked better or something? I don't remember exactly what it was but the one became more popular because it was easier to work with but there were better benefits with the other one... I could also be remembering wrong.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:20 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
...except for the trigger... iirc something about square wave timing vs sine wave and one being able to be tweaked better or something? I don't remember exactly what it was but the one became more popular because it was easier to work with but there were better benefits with the other one... I could also be remembering wrong.
You are right; The Timing trigger in the LT1 had 360* of crankshaft resolution, the LS1 only had 24 points of resolution.

Unfortunately...we all know that the 360* system didn't turn out to be impressively reliable.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:26 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

I Dis-

Fair point. I tend not to think of the C4+ architecture as a "free-standing drivetrain." Really the only thing that ties it all together as a single unit is the C-beam, which is not really a frame member at all - it's just a very effective pinion snubber. I still tend to think of it as a front and rear subframe with the engine and clutch (and transmission in the C4) up front, and the rear suspension and transaxle (or just diff in the C4) out back. I'm not sure how unique it is from other sports cars in that context. But visually speaking, there's a huge line of demarcation within the Corvette lineage that clearly separates the C4-up from the body-on-frame architecture of the previous generations.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:04 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

You are right; The Timing trigger in the LT1 had 360* of crankshaft resolution, the LS1 only had 24 points of resolution.

Unfortunately...we all know that the 360* system didn't turn out to be impressively reliable.
That's the one.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Really the only thing that ties it all together as a single unit is the C-beam, which is not really a frame member at all - it's just a very effective pinion snubber.
And X-member eliminator -which is part of the C4/5/6/7 philosophy.

I totally agree with you that the C beam is not a frame member at all and I've made that exact point on this forum, in the past. I didn't mean to imply that is was part of the frame, but rather that it was a philosophy in design that set a new paradigm that is recognizable, today. The Torque tube does the same job and is also not a frame member at all. The C4 was originally designed with a TT, but vibration/noise lead them to remove stiffness and rigidity from the tq tube to drive the frequencies down out of the audible range. What we got was the relatively flimsy (in most directions) C-beam instead of the torque tube that came later, with more engineering time and refinement (and the movement of the trans). By "freestanding" drive train, I meant this:

...which you can't do with a typical front engine/RWD car that has x-members, and is architecturally and philosophically very similar and paving the way to this:

Anyway, point was, it was a radical change and a huge step toward where we are today with the current C7's general architecture.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:32 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Makes one wonder if you could add a left side to the C-beam or adapt a Torque tube to the C4.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:37 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FASTAZU
Makes one wonder if you could add a left side to the C-beam or adapt a Torque tube to the C4.
I can't see a good reason to do that. It's only function is to resist upward/downward motion of the transmission tailshaft and the pinion of the diff. That's the one direction in which the C-beam is very stiff. It does excactly what it needs to do. I would guess that the needs for multi-way stiffness are a little higher for the transaxle cars, which is why they went to the torque tube?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:51 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

And X-member eliminator -which is part of the C4/5/6/7 philosophy.

I totally agree with you that the C beam is not a frame member at all and I've made that exact point on this forum, in the past. I didn't mean to imply that is was part of the frame, but rather that it was a philosophy in design that set a new paradigm that is recognizable, today. The Torque tube does the same job and is also not a frame member at all. The C4 was originally designed with a TT, but vibration/noise lead them to remove stiffness and rigidity from the tq tube to drive the frequencies down out of the audible range. What we got was the relatively flimsy (in most directions) C-beam instead of the torque tube that came later, with more engineering time and refinement (and the movement of the trans). By "freestanding" drive train, I meant this:

...which you can't do with a typical front engine/RWD car that has x-members, and is architecturally and philosophically very similar and paving the way to this:

Anyway, point was, it was a radical change and a huge step toward where we are today with the current C7's general architecture.

Hey Tom, is that a Shortline bus back there?

Get notified of new replies

To the greater leap, C3 to C4 or C4 to C5?

Old 07-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I would guess that the needs for multi-way stiffness are a little higher for the transaxle cars, which is why they went to the torque tube?
That is a good question. IDK why there is actually a need for a TT. You could support the "transaxle" just the same as the diff is supported, on the C4; with widely spaced torsional mounts (batwing) and a C-beam. The advantages to the Tq tube that I can see are:
*You can run a NON, U-jointed driveshaft
*All of your engine tq is resolved through the TT; there is no reaction tq in the diff. The only reaction tq from the entire drive train would then be opposite wheel acceleration. Not sure the benefit other than no reaction tq through the frame...but the frame is more than capable of handling that...
* Possibly better packaging with the narrower diff mounts?
* Supports the clutch disk precisely

I'm sure it weighs more than the C-beam/joints and aluminum shaft.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:00 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

That is a good question. IDK why there is actually a need for a TT. You could support the "transaxle" just the same as the diff is supported, on the C4; with widely spaced torsional mounts (batwing) and a C-beam. The advantages to the Tq tube that I can see are:
*You can run a NON, U-jointed driveshaft
*All of your engine tq is resolved through the TT; there is no reaction tq in the diff. The only reaction tq from the entire drive train would then be opposite wheel acceleration. Not sure the benefit other than no reaction tq through the frame...but the frame is more than capable of handling that...
* Possibly better packaging with the narrower diff mounts?
* Supports the clutch disk precisely

I'm sure it weighs more than the C-beam/joints and aluminum shaft.
I was thinking about not needing U-joints after I posted that. That's a nice advantage. But I bet you're on target if they used narrower diff mounts. I'm sure that's easier to package.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by PacerX
Fearless prediction: don't be shocked when electric motors show up at the front wheels on the C8.
I fully expect that to be the case. Gotta be the easiest architecture by which to accomplish AWD on that platform, no?

Live well,

SJW

Quick Reply: the greater leap, C3 to C4 or C4 to C5?