Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Maf problems

Old 07-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Bigmike4098

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maf problems

Ok so I parked my 89 vet with the l98 tpi 6 speed 4 days ago I was running then. I then replaced the 2 relays that run the maf the power and the burn off. Well now the thing stutters super hard and won't stay running with out having a bit of throttle. I put the old relays back in still doing it. I have power going to the maf. Now question is could replacing those relays have some how burn up the maf?
Old 07-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Cruisinfanatic
. 1985 Original Owner .
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigmike4098 View Post
Ok so I parked my 89 vet with the l98 tpi 6 speed 4 days ago I was running then. I then replaced the 2 relays that run the maf the power and the burn off. Well now the thing stutters super hard and won't stay running with out having a bit of throttle. I put the old relays back in still doing it. I have power going to the maf. Now question is could replacing those relays have some how burn up the maf?
Why did you replace relays?
Unplug the MAF. If it runs better, you need to replace it

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 07-08-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Bigmike4098

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It runs the same with or with out the maf. If your talking about it going to limp mode my model dose not have it.

I replaced the relays couse it was hard to start rough idle and anything past half throttle the car starts stuttering really bad. A few articles I red said that the burn off relay bad can couse this.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:27 AM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 146 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check for any trouble codes. If no codes then MAF & relays should be fine.

Sounds like a check of manifold vacuum and fuel pressure might be in order. Also plugs & wires might need to be refreshed.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 AM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 337 Likes on 283 Posts

MAF does not necessarily trigger a code immediately but should after a couple drives.

If it was the MAF and you proved it to be the MAF, then yes you should change both relays with it, but I don't see where you've proven it was the MAF. Try unplugging it and see if it runs smoother.

Being hard to start and a rough idle would make me thing a CTS failure, TPS/IAC, vac leak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maf problems

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: