Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Heater Core - Can I Bypass it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C4 Heater Core - Can I Bypass it??

My Heater Core has started to leak on my 87 Coupe. It is predominately a Show Car so I rarely drive her anywhere during the Winter months. She is usually garaged , battery rendered and Covered.
I'm getting mixed responses....replacing the heater core vs Bypassing it altogether. Replacing it is a Big P.I.A.....over the course of 17 years of ownership I've rarely if ever used the heat...So I've been told that Bypassing is a much easier and cheaper option.
Then I'm being told that the Heater Core is a necessary integral piece of equipment that CANNOT Be bypassed.
So What's the truth?? I'm certain that someone out there has been in my shoes. Thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 05:08 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Yes you can bypass it.
The following users liked this post:
Chewch87 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I'm not into shows and don't really go to them so I am not sure what their standards are. You need to know that up front that you could be dinged for bypassing it or not. If the goal is 100% originality, fix it correctly. IF it isn't, that depends on you. I drive my car when it is cold and I like the defrost feature. Both of which can't happen without the heater core. So for me, it cannot be bypassed. For me, AC is "make or break" so either you sell me a car that is fixed or I have to figure in the cost to repair everything in the system plus labor. So for me, AC cannot be bypassed either.

I guess it depends on you. I would rig a bypass for now and fix it later but that's me. IIRC, the hoses are different sized so maybe you need to stretch one or get hardware to bypass it from the hardware store. I would think that you can just loop it.

https://www.ebay.com/i/303103646719?...xoCRPkQAvD_BwE
Old 08-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
I'm not into shows and don't really go to them so I am not sure what their standards are. You need to know that up front that you could be dinged for bypassing it or not. If the goal is 100% originality, fix it correctly. IF it isn't, that depends on you. I drive my car when it is cold and I like the defrost feature. Both of which can't happen without the heater core. So for me, it cannot be bypassed. For me, AC is "make or break" so either you sell me a car that is fixed or I have to figure in the cost to repair everything in the system plus labor. So for me, AC cannot be bypassed either.

I guess it depends on you. I would rig a bypass for now and fix it later but that's me. IIRC, the hoses are different sized so maybe you need to stretch one or get hardware to bypass it from the hardware store. I would think that you can just loop it.

https://www.ebay.com/i/303103646719?...xoCRPkQAvD_BwE
Thanks for the reply. I have owned it 17 years now and it has always been a Show Car..... HOWEVER It is NOT a Garage Queen nor do I participate in serious NCRS point based Shows....I drive my Vette..I enjoy Her and participate in Car Shows for the love of the Corvette....not to see how many trophies I can get. I agree the AC is a Must!!! But I can live without the Heat!!
She has to go in the shop for a Transmission pan gasket leak so I'm going to go the bypass route now and perhaps later have the heater core replaced.
I was just concerned that it was somehow tied into the Air Conditioning or may cause an overheating reaction.
Thanks for your input & the Ebay link as well!!

Last edited by Chewch87; 08-06-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 08-06-2019, 07:19 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

On mine it was just a hose bent between the two ports. Worked fine. The heater is installed with Tees anyway iirc so it isn't obstructing a direct cooling path.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:31 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

As someone who replaced the heater core, just fix it. You will get absolutely brutalized in value with the heater core bypassed. It isnt THAT bad. Its about half as bad as people say. More uncomfortable than hard.

Or if youre taking it into the shop, have them fix it. It is likely under a grand for a shop to fix.

If you insist on bypassing it, a simple adapter will let you connect the two hoses.

Last edited by FAUEE; 08-06-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 AM
1985 Vette
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts

My heater core was leaking on my 85 and I decided to replace it myself. It was a very difficult job. Some screws were almost impossible to get off and impossible to get back on. It’s almost like they built the car around the HC. I’m glad I fixed it as I prefer to keep everything 100% stock and functioning. If you do decide to fix it, just plan on a 12+ hour job maybe less if your are more skilled than me.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 AM
RArline
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine is bypassed as for now. The pic was the first one I did using pvc until I went to get some brass fittings as the pvc would have not held up. I used some brass fittings to connect the hoses together. Put a zip tie to a brace so they are held so they can't flop around. I plan on replacing the heater core already bought a new one. But to hot here now to do that job. I will wait till around November or so then maybe get to use the heat January or February.

Last edited by RArline; 08-07-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Chewch87 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewch87
I agree the AC is a Must!!! But I can live without the Heat!!!
Without heat, you won't be able to control your a/c temperature, since the selected air temp is a mix of cold and hot air inside the ducts. And obviously, your defrost will make more fog on your windshield!

Old 08-07-2019, 05:54 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
As someone who replaced the heater core, just fix it. You will get absolutely brutalized in value with the heater core bypassed. It isnt THAT bad. Its about half as bad as people say. More uncomfortable than hard.

Or if youre taking it into the shop, have them fix it. It is likely under a grand for a shop to fix.

If you insist on bypassing it, a simple adapter will let you connect the two hoses.
For me it was harder than people say. I was 16 when I did mine and barely was able to get under there... if I had to do it again I know I wouldn't fit... otherwise it just takes a while. I left the top bolt out on mine though.
Chewch87 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 07:43 AM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Without heat, you won't be able to control your a/c temperature, since the selected air temp is a mix of cold and hot air inside the ducts. And obviously, your defrost will make more fog on your windshield!

Defrost works fine without heat the A/C does great job of defrosting... just you will get cold.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:46 AM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Vette
My heater core was leaking on my 85 and I decided to replace it myself. It was a very difficult job. Some screws were almost impossible to get off and impossible to get back on. It’s almost like they built the car around the HC. I’m glad I fixed it as I prefer to keep everything 100% stock and functioning. If you do decide to fix it, just plan on a 12+ hour job maybe less if your are more skilled than me.
I didn’t find it too difficult, the most difficult part was not breaking any plastic dash bits
Mind you mine has been converted to RHD not sure how it affects the job
Old 08-07-2019, 08:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by convas
Defrost works fine without heat the A/C does great job of defrosting... just you will get cold.
How does it work? You get dry air but the glass gets cold and ice may form or am I not seeing something?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:12 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd replace it. The most expensive one on RockAuto is $36.00

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ater+core,6864
Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZEN357
I'd replace it. The most expensive one on RockAuto is $36.00

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ater+core,6864
Originally Posted by FAUEE
Yes but as quoted above, THAT is the "Ouch Factor". They discovered that leak on a dyno tune so wasn't like I had much choice but to have them fix it for "winter labor rates" which was pretty close to that figure.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by convas
One thing for sure about my 87 and I assume other C4's....the AC SURE IS CO CO CO COLLLLD!!!! Most times I keep it on low and turn the vents away and I tell you what....puts the AC temp in my $60k Caddy to shame.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Yes but as quoted above, THAT is the "Ouch Factor". They discovered that leak on a dyno tune so wasn't like I had much choice but to have them fix it for "winter labor rates" which was pretty close to that figure.
Guess what.....Its a C4....although I LOVE MY VETTE...realistically.....monetary wise they are worth ****....So the motivation Of losing its "value" by not having a functional heater (Which I NEVER HAVE USED IN 17 YEARS) as opposed to spending $1,000.... to replace it..... ALWAYS having the option to replace it later.... I'm going the Bypass route!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Heater Core - Can I Bypass it??

Old 08-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Yes....I would rather take that $1000 and put on a new Corsa Exhaust!! I'm going the bypass route....I can always have it done later....but after 17 years of ownership.....I don't think I've ever used the Heater!!! NOT a cost effective repair.... the overall and future value of the Vette makes it not worth the cost.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chewch87
One thing for sure about my 87 and I assume other C4's....the AC SURE IS CO CO CO COLLLLD!!!! Most times I keep it on low and turn the vents away and I tell you what....puts the AC temp in my $60k Caddy to shame.
Not mine. It is cool with a new condenser, compressor, etc. Cool, yes. Cold, as in fast gp 68,no.
Chewch87 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:38 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

How does it work? You get dry air but the glass gets cold and ice may form or am I not seeing something?
But in my case....I dont drive her in Winter....except for maybe a clear sunny Afternoon cruise.....In 17 years I've probably used the heat 2 times....
The $1000 repair vs the current and future value of a C4 makes it an unnecessary repair that can be done later on if Needed....

Quick Reply: C4 Heater Core - Can I Bypass it??