Collapsed lifter L98

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 PM
RME1993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Collapsed lifter L98

Alright guys,

I have a dreaded collapsed lifter. My heads, Cam, Pushrods, Roller rockers and lifters are all new. It appears that my oil pump has started failing and I wasn't pumping enough oil through my lifters even though my engine is reading 50+ PSI.

Seeing as how I am now working 50-60 hours a week, I don't have time to work on this engine and I was curious if anyone knew about how much something like this should cost to just replace lifters and gaskets only?

Thanks in advanced,
Old 09-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by RME1993
Alright guys,

I have a dreaded collapsed lifter. My heads, Cam, Pushrods, Roller rockers and lifters are all new. It appears that my oil pump has started failing and I wasn't pumping enough oil through my lifters even though my engine is reading 50+ PSI.

Seeing as how I am now working 50-60 hours a week, I don't have time to work on this engine and I was curious if anyone knew about how much something like this should cost to just replace lifters and gaskets only?

Thanks in advanced,
Often exchanging the oil with a pint of ATF will un-stick a stuck lifter, usually w/in 10 miles of normal driving.. Failing that, you can replace that one stuck lifter with a new one, AND also swapping the location with another lifter - the ultimate test of the lifter in question being defective/damaged OR the oil galley being obstructed?

NOTE: This all assumes the rocker lash is not compromised somehow...
Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM
RME1993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve thought about adding liqui molly to the engine to see if it helps but on cylinder 7 & 8, once the rocker arms are torqued down, the pushrods keep spinning and when you fire up the engine it makes a loud tapping noise.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by RME1993
I’ve thought about adding liqui molly to the engine to see if it helps but on cylinder 7 & 8, once the rocker arms are torqued down, the pushrods keep spinning and when you fire up the engine it makes a loud tapping noise.
Something doesn't make sense here... Even when the valves are closed and normal preload is present, there should be enough lifter spring tension to make spinning the puahrods with your fingers difficult. So, are you saying the rod(s) spin freely with the rockers set?? What are we missing?
Old 09-19-2019, 07:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Need to back up here. Are you running a flat tappet cam or roller lifters. If it is a flat tappet, you can't swap lifters. If you can isolate the lifter, replace with a new one. If it is a roller, then they can be interchanged. What year is your car?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:25 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 318 Likes on 272 Posts

What did you use for a head gasket? Could it be too thick?

Get notified of new replies

To Collapsed lifter L98

Quick Reply: Collapsed lifter L98