engine swap options for a 1990 c4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:44 PM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
You dont need an ls to make any power, that stuff gets posted by kids who have no gen 1 experience.
There is nothing magicla about an lsx....plan on modding one youll need a chit ton of $.
I disagree. You can pick up a junkyard LS motor cheap and with a few cheap mods it can make wicked horsepower. It will cost more to build the L98 than an LS motor. I have a small collection of cars and have the L98,LT1’s and some LS powered cars. The LS is by far cheaper to build or mod. It’s also the fastest by a lot. So many cars/trucks in the boneyards to pick up good used parts to make a beast of an engine. Why do you think even the Mustang guys are putting them in their cars. Everybody knows how awesome the LS platform is. Our local race track has mostly LS powered cars. Even the classics and non GM designed cars are utilizing the LS engine. I am actually getting SICK of seeing them in EVERYTHING. I miss the old big block Chevys, Fords and Mopars. Oh well, just my opinion anyway.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:37 AM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ZHammer
I disagree. You can pick up a junkyard LS motor cheap and with a few cheap mods it can make wicked horsepower. It will cost more to build the L98 than an LS motor. I have a small collection of cars and have the L98,LT1’s and some LS powered cars. The LS is by far cheaper to build or mod. It’s also the fastest by a lot. So many cars/trucks in the boneyards to pick up good used parts to make a beast of an engine. Why do you think even the Mustang guys are putting them in their cars. Everybody knows how awesome the LS platform is. Our local race track has mostly LS powered cars. Even the classics and non GM designed cars are utilizing the LS engine. I am actually getting SICK of seeing them in EVERYTHING. I miss the old big block Chevys, Fords and Mopars. Oh well, just my opinion anyway.
How much extra expense it to do a LS swap in a C4?
Old 10-26-2019, 07:57 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by ZHammer
25 years ago dad said he was tired of seeing 350 swaps in everything. Now he too is tired of LS swaps lol. That's why my uncle built a Pontiac.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

X3, here. There are so many times I see a cool old car at a car show, or where ever, I go to check it out and as I get near, I see an "LS" something in it. What LS is it? Who cares? I don't. I keep on walking to the next car.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:54 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 960 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

There is a local guy here that swapped in a LT1 into a 1st gen Camaro. He did a really nice job.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:43 AM
crxnug
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here was my goal, Considering i have to repaint the car due to someone backing into it, non stock repaint,im looking at the time comes when the engine need a refresh, i tend to research stuff alot beforehand so when the time come im well informed and dont make bad decisions , as far as hp i dont need anything crazy that i have to spend more money then needed, if the time comes and a engine rebuild seem the best then either stoke it, or just some head work, cam, and other upgrades i might start a tread on engine rebuild so i know what others have done for a reliable upgraded l98, thanks for the replies, it has been very helpfull
Old 10-27-2019, 10:02 AM
Jaye Bass
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm about to take delivery of a 93 6pd coupe that has been basically rebuilt from the ground up. I had my LT1 rebuilt. The most radical thing the engine builder did was remove the opti, add a reluctor based system from the the EFI guys with a Holley HP ECU converting the whole thing to sequential injection, plug on coil. It was expensive though.

Last edited by Jaye Bass; 10-27-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:24 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by PacerX
They're dirt cheap, and a vanilla 5.3 liter out of a work truck with vinyl seats will smash any LT series motor put in any C4 stock for stock, and when the mods start it gets even uglier.
Really? I have a 40K mile 5.3 liter in my base 2001 Silverado and it won't come CLOSE to running with the LT4 in my C4, stock for stock.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by crxnug
Here was my goal, Considering i have to repaint the car due to someone backing into it... if the time comes and a engine rebuild seem the best then either stoke it, or just some head work, cam, and other upgrades
If you have to do paint AND engine....IDK. If you have a hook up for paint, but you could be into this car $10k, easy. Have you thought about selling it and buying a different C4?
Old 10-27-2019, 09:10 PM
crxnug
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The paint wont cost me anything, the persons insurance company is paying the damaged quarter and painting quater and rear bumper $4300 Canaqdian) we are going to paint the car with house of color so insurance money wouldnt cover all of it but my car is in my friends classic car restoration shop so there would be no extra cost to me, The shop has another person who does the rebuilds so that would be my cost,
Old 10-27-2019, 10:06 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

10-4. Sounds good.

Quick Reply: engine swap options for a 1990 c4 ?