Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Catless y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Catless y-pipe?

Is it worth the $200 or should I wait and get the headers and true dual exhaust when I can afford it? Where can I get a good deal on one? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:40 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Catless y-pipe? (Rob 91Z07)

MAD and Eckler's have 2 1/2" mandrel bent SS front Ys.

I did a custom Y, hi-flow cat and cat-back together and the results were worth it.

But if I were planning on full-lenght headers I'd not put the $200 into the front Y now as it comes with the headers, at least with the TPIS headers.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Catless y-pipe? (65Z01)

What's the HP gain w/ a new y pipe compared to a set of headers. I'm kinda looking at horsepower per dollar here. :confused:
Old 01-02-2003, 03:34 AM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Mid America has some damn good deals on Y Pipes...........they also have a pretty big range of types. Be careful though when replacing the stock Y Pipes........almost every one out there is alot better than the stock for both quality and performance, but be forewarned usually most of the power gains in the Y pipe come from unrestricting the airflow before the cat convertor and usually anything in that area would affect emmissions if you do em in your state. Then again it's not too much of a prob to just have a decoy sys installed when you go through emmissions, but it's somethin to take note of just in case. I would say the best bet is to Get a performance Y Pipe if you're looking for the most bang for your buck, but if you're worried about emissions or anything.....the headers might do good cuz I think that would come after the convertor and would probably do no harm. Although without the true exhaust it wouldn't be nearly as effective I'm sure. I'm currently in the midst of upgrading my exhaust, but the Y-Pipe is the last to be changed cuz where I'm at I gotta pass the stupid azz emissions too. :rolleyes: GL
Old 01-02-2003, 05:21 AM
DON M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walker has a catless Y-pipe and converter package that is 49 state legal for emissions. It is a 2 1/4" punch bent tube and not much of an improvement.
I pass emissions with a Random Tech 3 way cat and no front cats. It won't pass visual, but most guys don't know or dont't care what they come with.
:iagree: With the comment about waiting for headers. If I had known what a PITA the bolts on the manifold were I would have gone with headers. If you do go this way, put plenty of Loquid Wrench on the bolts for a few days before you do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Catless y-pipe?

Quick Reply: Catless y-pipe?