Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
View Poll Results: How many Autocross Track Days has your C4 seen?
10 or more
55.56%
6 to 9
11.11%
3 to 5
11.11%
1 or 2
11.11%
Never would I abuse my baby!
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone Meeting Up for a Track Day?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 10:24 AM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Anyone Meeting Up for a Track Day?

Seen very few C4 corvettes at the track around Michigan. Two in the last two years.

Anyone wanna meet up for a track day and represent us C4 owners? Below is the remaining schedule I have thus far for lower Michigan and northern Ohio and Illinois.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 07-14-2022, 10:29 AM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry. Forgot to include Grattan and Putnam Park this weekend.

The following users liked this post:
93 ragtop (07-16-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 12:30 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 302 Posts

I am in NWO right at the border.

I have always wanted to but have not. A buddy that has a Porsche and I have wanted to hit up mid Ohio or hit up an auto cross somewhere to start. Maybe this could be a good excuse…

My latest hang up is waiting on a good time to spend the $$$ on new rubber (conti extreme contact sport 295/35/18) for my new wheels, but I could always run the stockers on it now with the rikens on them just for fun.

I also do not have a helmet or anything, so really truly 0 actual experience.

Prep wise I would need at least better pads…it has SS lines in it, clutch just broken in, lots of other maintenance and improvements done. Probably could use another radiator clean out, flush etc…

Maybe I just show up to one of these just to watch!

thanks for putting this out there!
Old 07-14-2022, 01:23 PM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pedricd
I am in NWO right at the border.

I have always wanted to but have not. A buddy that has a Porsche and I have wanted to hit up mid Ohio or hit up an auto cross somewhere to start. Maybe this could be a good excuse…

My latest hang up is waiting on a good time to spend the $$$ on new rubber (conti extreme contact sport 295/35/18) for my new wheels, but I could always run the stockers on it now with the rikens on them just for fun.

I also do not have a helmet or anything, so really truly 0 actual experience.

Prep wise I would need at least better pads…it has SS lines in it, clutch just broken in, lots of other maintenance and improvements done. Probably could use another radiator clean out, flush etc…

Maybe I just show up to one of these just to watch!

thanks for putting this out there!
Mid-Ohio is pretty challenging for a first timer. It is fast and can be scary if you aren't used to high speed corners.
Grattan is extremely technical. Almost every corner is negative camber which robs a lot of the fun.
Gingerman is fun but pretty flat. A good first time track.
Waterford Hills is very small and feels like it's made for go-karts, but its hard to get into trouble because you never really get much speed. Waterford is a very good first time track as it will teach you to brake into corners to carry more speed and keep those hands fixed on the wheel. (A lesson I had to learn.)

BTW, Here's the fluids I run.
pedricd (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:02 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Originally Posted by PimP GimP
Mid-Ohio is pretty challenging for a first timer. It is fast and can be scary if you aren't used to high speed corners.
Grattan is extremely technical. Almost every corner is negative camber which robs a lot of the fun.
Gingerman is fun but pretty flat. A good first time track.
Waterford Hills is very small and feels like it's made for go-karts, but its hard to get into trouble because you never really get much speed. Waterford is a very good first time track as it will teach you to brake into corners to carry more speed and keep those hands fixed on the wheel. (A lesson I had to learn.)

BTW, Here's the fluids I run.
https://youtu.be/nsplEeMX3pU
Awesome, thanks! I was definitely planning on doing one of those two day instructor dealies to get familiar before jumping into the deep end on a "real" track like mid-ohio (plus they don't want you running around without that anyway, nor would I want to!). That is also why I was considering some auto-cross first...Waterford Hills sounds like an interesting middle ground and is only ~1.5 hours from me....their open track days sound pretty friendly to newbies and can include an instructor.

Again thanks for the tips, and if I'm able I might just stop at one of these even if just to get the feel of it...
Old 07-15-2022, 01:14 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,293 Likes on 1,460 Posts

hey willie if i can find a sorted c4 to buy down near u id do another flyndrive adventure and would rendezvous at one of your track days.

i track my zr-1 every chance i get. missed this past sunday as i discovered a failing ujoint!
1Eyed Willie (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 01:05 PM
pedricd
Drifting

hope your season is going wel!!!

Not to hijack this thread, but do you know, outside of mid-Ohio, if any of these tracks allow open wheel? It looks like autobahn does? Any others you know of that do?

NOTE: this is not for me, I am trying to help someone who needs to run/shake down an F1 car (no I’m not kidding lol) within driving distance of northwest Ohio and before end of season…. Obviously it needs to be somewhat suitable to run that type of car and hopefully has some open days left
Old 09-07-2022, 04:26 PM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

hope your season is going wel!!!

Not to hijack this thread, but do you know, outside of mid-Ohio, if any of these tracks allow open wheel? It looks like autobahn does? Any others you know of that do?

NOTE: this is not for me, I am trying to help someone who needs to run/shake down an F1 car (no I’m not kidding lol) within driving distance of northwest Ohio and before end of season…. Obviously it needs to be somewhat suitable to run that type of car and hopefully has some open days left
Almost every track allows open wheel cars (except for the go cart track in Waterford Hills, MI). It depends on what group you go with. Groups that do not require an instruction will usually let open wheel cars on track. I see them all the time at Grattan and Gingerman and Pittsburg. Porsche club events do not allow open wheel, but they do offer free instructors.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:27 PM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
hey willie if i can find a sorted c4 to buy down near u id do another flyndrive adventure and would rendezvous at one of your track days.

i track my zr-1 every chance i get. missed this past sunday as i discovered a failing ujoint!
What area are you located. Perhaps we could meet somewhere in the middle?
Old 09-07-2022, 04:31 PM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Awesome, thanks! I was definitely planning on doing one of those two day instructor dealies to get familiar before jumping into the deep end on a "real" track like mid-ohio (plus they don't want you running around without that anyway, nor would I want to!). That is also why I was considering some auto-cross first...Waterford Hills sounds like an interesting middle ground and is only ~1.5 hours from me....their open track days sound pretty friendly to newbies and can include an instructor.

Again thanks for the tips, and if I'm able I might just stop at one of these even if just to get the feel of it...
Mid Ohio was my first track experience with a bone stock C4 that I just got a week before I went there. Thankfully, i went with the Porsche Club so I had an instructor.

True story...I was so bad that the instructor asked me, "So what's going on with that left eye? Do you have any depth perception." 😉

Autocross is a different animal...always cornering, no high speed corner entries or exits. Just too slow for me.

I love Prosche club events even though I can't afford a Prosche. Most people are courteous and helpful and not out to measure their manhood. They are typically older men who are just there to be safe, learn, and have fun.

The worst track experiences are when there are tons of 20 somethings with their daddy's money driving expensive cars poorly. They think because they spent $60k or more that they will just smoke everyone. Then you pass them in a 30 year old vette and they come over to see what engine you got and it's stock and they're like, "I guess I need to learn how to drive."

Last edited by 1Eyed Willie; 09-07-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:35 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Almost every track allows open wheel cars (except for the go cart track in Waterford Hills, MI). It depends on what group you go with. Groups that do not require an instruction will usually let open wheel cars on track. I see them all the time at Grattan and Gingerman and Pittsburg. Porsche club events do not allow open wheel, but they do offer free instructors.
Hope that helps.
Thanks!

I assume you mean Pittsburg international/pittrace? I think, based on my very limited knowledge that Pittrace, gingerman and Putnam park might work…. This thing is insane so needs something like mid Ohio, road America etc…to stretch its legs…

the challenge is to find one that has an open test day…

Mid Ohio was my first track experience with a bone stock C4 that I just got a week before I went there. Thankfully, i went with the Porsche Club so I had an instructor.

True story...I was so bad that the instructor asked me, "So what's going on with that left eye? Do you have any depth perception." 😉

Autocross is a different animal...always cornering, no high speed corner entries or exits. Just too slow for me.

I love Prosche club events even though I can't afford a Prosche. Most people are courteous and helpful and not out to measure their manhood. They are typically older men who are just there to be safe, learn, and have fun.

The worst track experiences are when there are tons of 20 somethings with their daddy's money driving expensive cars poorly. They think because they spent $60k or more that they will just smoke everyone. Then you pass them in a 30 year old vette and they come over to see what engine you got and it's stock and they're like, "I guess I need to learn how to drive."
OUCH! Thanks for advice, really appreciated. When I FINALLY get out there, I don’t mind embarrassing myself as long as I’m being safe, following etiquette etc…and will definitely have an instructor with me. I do want to try autox but as you said staying in 2nd gear the whole time and not heel-toeing, not playing as much with weight transfers/entry/exit isn’t as appealing…but who knows?

I was looking at those PCA events too. My buddy has a 2011 911 997 GTS so he’ll fit in lol, but I think he’s too scared to really push his car so I’d probably whoop him if we ever go to the point of actual passing etc… but if he ever decided to really go for it not sure how I’d keep up!!!
Old 09-07-2022, 05:47 PM
pedricd
Drifting

I peruse CL and Facebook marketplace in the Northwest Ohio/SE MI area every now and then. If you want let me know what kind of car you are interested in and I can send you any I stumble upon, and if it’s not too far away even check it out. I am assuming 89+ manuals, and cheaper the better or ??? There is an admiral blue 94 manual with 122k for $8500 for example… all the way down to 84 4+3s at $3k or less. Feel free to DM…
Old 09-08-2022, 10:39 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,293 Likes on 1,460 Posts

What area are you located. Perhaps we could meet somewhere in the middle?

I am in calgary alberta canada.

we just had a new track commissioned here called Rocky Mountain Motorsports.

Its fantastic and my wife and i decided to become members. Previously we had to drive 3hrs one way to the closest track. We did that several times per season which justified a capital investment for a membership.

so if any of you guys are up in Western Canada with your cars and want to experience the track, id be happy to take you.

Have you guys seen the youtube series “Lap of the World”? Its great.

Pimp, i checked out the grattan location so i have a general idea where you are, im sure i can find a car to buy there and i’ll fly and drive to go get a car and rendezvous one day. Id need to find a place to give the car a once over before taking it to the track (fluids pads tires any obvious weak parts).

It *would be* pretty cool and unique if a bunch of us c4 track rats did our own little lap of the world style tour meeting up with each other.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:43 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Pimp, i checked out the grattan location so i have a general idea where you are, im sure i can find a car to buy there and i’ll fly and drive to go get a car and rendezvous one day. Id need to find a place to give the car a once over before taking it to the track (fluids pads tires any obvious weak parts).

It *would be* pretty cool and unique if a bunch of us c4 track rats did our own little lap of the world style tour meeting up with each other.
FWIW I’m less than 3 hours from Grattan and happy to supply garage and tools depending on where you end up finding a car. So pretty big area to hunt in…you should have no problem finding something.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:10 PM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am in calgary alberta canada.

we just had a new track commissioned here called Rocky Mountain Motorsports.

Its fantastic and my wife and i decided to become members. Previously we had to drive 3hrs one way to the closest track. We did that several times per season which justified a capital investment for a membership.

so if any of you guys are up in Western Canada with your cars and want to experience the track, id be happy to take you.

Have you guys seen the youtube series “Lap of the World”? Its great.

If you fly down, you can drive my car. No worries.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:12 PM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

FWIW I’m less than 3 hours from Grattan and happy to supply garage and tools depending on where you end up finding a car. So pretty big area to hunt in…you should have no problem finding something.
Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a track event. I'm assuming you're in the Chicago or Detroit area.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:35 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Eyed Willie
Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a track event. I'm assuming you're in the Chicago or Detroit area.
Northwest Ohio (Sylvania/Toledo). Would like to, even just to get a better feel for it. Gingerman and grattan are about the same distance (2.5 to 2.75 hours). Mid Ohio is about 2 hours but a LOT further for you!

Its a crazy time of year for the kids/sports, shutting down the family lake house etc… but let me know what you are planning and I’ll see if I can swing it…
Old 09-09-2022, 08:28 AM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Northwest Ohio (Sylvania/Toledo). Would like to, even just to get a better feel for it. Gingerman and grattan are about the same distance (2.5 to 2.75 hours). Mid Ohio is about 2 hours but a LOT further for you!

Its a crazy time of year for the kids/sports, shutting down the family lake house etc… but let me know what you are planning and I’ll see if I can swing it…
This season is about over. I just warch the weather and book a couple days before.

Mid Ohio is coming up in a couple weeks with the Ohio Prosche Club. That might be a possibility if I can get my car ready.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:55 AM
ACMX92
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have yet to do a track day. I live less than an hour from Putnam Park and I hear that is a good track. I've thought about taking my daily there to learn the ropes and get a feel for things. It would be cool to bring my 85 there next year.
The following 2 users liked this post by ACMX92:
1Eyed Willie (09-09-2022), pedricd (09-09-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Meeting Up for a Track Day?