C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Rust problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 10:30 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 Rust problems

1.Although I expect that C4s are more corrosion resistant than C3s because they were better protected from the factory, what areas are most prone to rust?
2. Can a boroscope be used to inspect the inside of the frame and areas of the unit body (I apologize if unit body is the wrong term)?
3. Are replacement frames and unit body parts available?

Thank you
Old 01-06-2003, 10:33 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C4 Rust problems (DSKRALL)

Look under the battery for corrosion & rust....

:seeya
Old 01-06-2003, 11:28 PM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C4 Rust problems (superlund)

C4s are full frame cars and your thinking of uni-body cars. :seeya
Old 01-07-2003, 07:18 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

C4's do have galvanized frames so they are not prone to rusting unless there is battery leak that has been unnoticed for some time.

Only rust I've seen on my Vette is the inside support of windlace seal which totally rusted away between the door and dashboard. It was 2 minute job to replace the seals with new ones.

Regards,

Toni

[Modified by ToniH, 5:05 PM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:24 AM
vettmech
Drifting

Default Re: C4 Rust problems (ToniH)

The steel brackets that the hood latches to can and will rust if allowed to fill with water. Some are welded together in such a way tha water drains but others have a good seal and retain water. There is a kit to remedy this but I found that my left one drained quite well while the right one would fill .......... soooooooooo I drilled a 1/8 inch weep hole in the bottom outside where I could get to it and when I wash the car I flush both of them . If the water doesn't drain I do whatever is neccessary to get it to drain......
Old 01-07-2003, 12:43 PM
DINO
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
I went to Cruise-In V with Vetteweiser

Default Re: C4 Rust problems (vettmech)

The steel brackets that the hood latches to can and will rust if allowed to fill with water. Some are welded together in such a way tha water drains but others have a good seal and retain water. There is a kit to remedy this but I found that my left one drained quite well while the right one would fill .......... soooooooooo I drilled a 1/8 inch weep hole in the bottom outside where I could get to it and when I wash the car I flush both of them . If the water doesn't drain I do whatever is neccessary to get it to drain......
I use a Turkey baseter to drain the hood latch thingy...works great :yesnod: :crazy:
Old 01-07-2003, 01:38 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: C4 Rust problems (DINO)

drill a hole in the bottom. i did.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:22 PM
CorvetteCoupe93
Le Mans Master

Default Re: C4 Rust problems (stillthere)

drill a hole in the bottom. i did.
:iagree:
Old 01-08-2003, 10:11 PM
stinger95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

If a salt mixture is used in your area, the first first thing you will notice the effects on would be bare aluminum. Then clear-coated aluminum and steel (galvanized and/or painted) If it's bare aliminum you will see pitting in the aluminum itself. If it's clear-coated aluminum the effects are rather ugly. The salt will attack any defect ( crack or chip) and proceed to ruin the surrounding metal and clear-coat. On steel you will see rust forming at the wlds.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:21 PM
DiabolicalDave
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: C4 Rust problems (vettmech)

[QUOTE]The steel brackets that the hood latches to can and will rust if allowed to fill with water. Some are welded together in such a way tha water drains but others have a good seal and retain water. QUOTE]

After reading this, I ran out and checked mine. Absolutely no rust, and I drive it alot including in the rain, and it has around 74,000 miles right now. I guess I don't need to worry about it? Or, should I go ahead and drill the little hole on the passenger side? The driver side already has the little hole. Since there's no rust, I'm actually kind of hesitant to drill a hole which might actually give rust a place to start.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:38 PM
vettmech
Drifting

Default Re: C4 Rust problems (DiabolicalDave)

Next time you wash the car take the hose and fill it with water. If it drains your fine ....... if not, make it drain........ :seeya
Old 01-10-2003, 02:17 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Default Re: C4 Rust problems (paintdaddy)

I knew unit body was the wrong term, but I didn't know the right one for the central structure to which the body is attached. It's called the birdcage on C3s, of course. Thanks for your reply, and thanks to everyone who helped to answer my questions. D.S. Krall

[Modified by DSKRALL, 7:20 PM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 10:10 PM
dmorris
Instructor

On my 85, the metal brace that attaches to the front, inner portion of the hood ( that the hinges attach to) is rusted some. Mostly on the passenger side. It looks like just the front edge, but it is rusted pretty good ( metal gone in a couple of places). The area missing is at the very front where it turns down, I guess to brace the front edge of the hood. Is this common? I haven't found any other rust.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Jsonova99
Instructor

Originally Posted by ToniH
C4's do have galvanized frames so they are not prone to rusting unless there is battery leak that has been unnoticed for some time.

Only rust I've seen on my Vette is the inside support of windlace seal which totally rusted away between the door and dashboard. It was 2 minute job to replace the seals with new ones.

Regards,

Toni

[Modified by ToniH, 5:05 PM 1/7/2003]
I have this problem, haven't had a chance to dig in yet, but what rusts behind it, anything of significance?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 PM
dorri732
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsonova99
I have this problem, haven't had a chance to dig in yet, but what rusts behind it, anything of significance?
Just an FYI, the comment thread you replied to is 13 years old.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Rust problems

Quick Reply: C4 Rust problems