Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The easiest thing in the world and I am unable to fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 01:43 PM
Vets-Vet
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 163 Posts
Default The easiest thing in the world and I am unable to fix it.

Good afternoon,
I have a few months of ""don't lift anything" to go through and I am nearing a point of doing some really small things. The one thing that I have not been able to accomplish since buying this on July 7th is I can not get the windows clean. I have cleaned these things nearly fifty times, no exaggeration. I have used a bottle of windex with newspaper, I have used acetone, naptha, mineral spirits, laquer thinner, 99% alcohol, denatured alcohol, dawn, simple green, mothers car wash, car wax and every kitchen cleaner in the kitchen.

I suspect the 2 following circumstances may have caused this. 1. The wipers didn't work, so I may have a massive layer of rainex on them. 2. The (previous) oil switch was leaking oil onto the cats. The car is from an estate sale and the seller told me the PO used it only for short runs the past few years he was alive and it was always garaged. I am guessing short runs because the car needed many small things including the wipers and the oil leak fixed. When parked, I believe the oil vapors in the garage settled onto the car and the windows. This car was driven once a month by friends to keep it running. The pic is the first night I got it home, you can see the oil film on it. It was easy to get off the paint.

What is left to clean the windows with, I seem to only be smearing the stuff around over and over.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:51 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Get yourself a bucket of osmosis, distilled, or other purified water. Can't have any minerals in it.

Put a couple drops of Dawn dishwater detergent in it. Clean windows. I had some kind of film that I could never get off mine, even with an abrasive windshield cleaner. I remembered about Dawn, gave it a try and clean windows!

They use Dawn to cleanup oil spills in lakes/streams because it dissolves oil. They use it to clean water bird feathers from oil spills.

Before starting to do bodywork on a car, it should be washed a couple times with a heavy mix of Dawn as it will cut silicone, wax and other contaminants.

I even give my car a quick wipe down with such water and a couple drops. Makes it clean and shiney !
Old 10-29-2022, 03:11 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by drcook
Get yourself a bucket of osmosis, distilled, or other purified water. Can't have any minerals in it.

Put a couple drops of Dawn dishwater detergent in it. Clean windows. I had some kind of film that I could never get off mine, even with an abrasive windshield cleaner. I remembered about Dawn, gave it a try and clean windows!

They use Dawn to cleanup oil spills in lakes/streams because it dissolves oil. They use it to clean water bird feathers from oil spills.

Before starting to do bodywork on a car, it should be washed a couple times with a heavy mix of Dawn as it will cut silicone, wax and other contaminants.

I even give my car a quick wipe down with such water and a couple drops. Makes it clean and shiney !
I agree. People under estimate the power of dawn.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:24 PM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

If that doesn't "cut" it go to the local car parts store and grab bottle of painting prep wax and oil remover.

Bottle

Soak your folded paper towel and wipe it on, let it set 2 minutes and wipe it off with a different towel
Old 10-29-2022, 08:15 PM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I've had to remove tint from windows and that leaves a mess. Last time I found a suggestion to use a clothes steamer and all the residue wiped right off.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

000 steel wool
Old 10-30-2022, 07:43 AM
ThomasR
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 412 Posts

If a chemical cleaning doesn't work try a mechanical cleaning. 0000 steel wool (be sure there is no rust) or, I prefer, bronze wool. You can find it at Home Depot.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:46 AM
Vets-Vet
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 163 Posts

Thanks everyone for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To The easiest thing in the world and I am unable to fix it.

Quick Reply: The easiest thing in the world and I am unable to fix it.