Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dip Stick Stuck - Squealing coming from under car passenger side under cad

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 08:31 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 553 Likes on 359 Posts

"I’m 16 years old and this is my first car my numbers XXX_XXX_XXXX. I would love that, I’m currently studying mechanical engineering and I work for Lockheed Martin."

Can you explain this statement in more detail? Something not right here.

The following 2 users liked this post by arbee:
rocco16 (08-08-2023), SMM_DREW (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 08:41 PM
2011KLR
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 104 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by arbee
"I’m 16 years old and this is my first car my numbers XXX_XXX_XXXX. I would love that, I’m currently studying mechanical engineering and I work for Lockheed Martin."

yah. I didnt want to detract from the threads intent but i have that same curiosity.
The following users liked this post:
SMM_DREW (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 10:41 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by arbee

Yea, I was a bit curious too. He did mention “I put all my internship money from the summer into it.”. I’m retired Lockheed Martin and they did have paid internships from time to time. This could explain it.
SMM_DREW (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 08:34 AM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
Yea, I was a bit curious too. He did mention “I put all my internship money from the summer into it.”. I’m retired Lockheed Martin and they did have paid internships from time to time. This could explain it.
Everyone seems to be interested in that I’ll explain, so I work a summer internship for Lockheed Martin currently, my mechanical engineering studying started when I decided to go to the only high school that teaches it at the college level in my area, I took 2 years of engineering classes studying Solid Works and various subjects around mechanical engineering, I got certified at the professional level, I worked then on flow simulation programs inside a group at the high school that works with businesses. In my past years of enjoying this new venture, I have also built lots of rockets, I love them. They are another hobby I have had for a bit now, that has since taught me so much about many different things.

I am currently entering Junior year of high school, and this may sound off and I understand why. I’m probably one of the youngest interns at Lockheed. But everything I have learned was done with professionals, or though an education program. I am hoping to study aerospace or mechanical engineering in college.
pedricd (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 03:43 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Good for you. . Oops, cant drink yet.
SMM_DREW (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 11:37 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Default New Engine

Hey all, thanks for all being interested in my new buy. I am towing it to the shop tomorrow and I will regularly update this thread with new information. I don't feel defeated I am actually pretty happy I think the car is in great shape other than the engine and it was a fair buy.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:21 AM
2011KLR
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 104 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Ive heard folks say not to tow Corvettes in the usual lift the front wheels off the ground way but to flatbed truck them.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:26 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2011KLR
Ive heard folks say not to tow Corvettes in the usual lift the front wheels off the ground way but to flatbed truck them.
yeah I ended up towing using a flat bed truck but even then the plastic piece on the notion got damaged I only have 1.2 inch clearance.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:32 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by SMM_DREW
If it’s a bent rod that’s still a huge task to replace, probably not as expensive as an engine swap.
Replacing a bent push rod is a very simple task, if you know anything about push rod engines.
Don't be afraid to enlist the help of friends and/or relatives who know something about small block V-8's to guide you through the process.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:34 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Originally Posted by rocco16
Replacing a bent push rod is a very simple task, if you know anything about push rod engines.
Don't be afraid to enlist the help of friends and/or relatives who know something about small block V-8's to guide you through the process.

I just realized something major!

The firing order diagram is wrong. Firing order is 1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2. The 6 and the 8 need to be swapped.

The seller gave me this sketched diagram and I posted the car on a forum and all the paper work/photos of everything and someone commented this.

here is the picture attached the seller gave me, this could be the problem!

Old 08-08-2023, 09:21 PM
AftonJay
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
Rereading his quote I think he thought I said bent rod like a connecting rod, not the push rod. If not I am as confused by his replay as you.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:43 AM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

I read that wrong, sorry.

The car is getting checked out today at the shop but it sounds like something went boom in the engine so it's at a 50/50 right now for needing a swap, it just sounds terrible. But I know that the firing order has to do with some of this, there is something wrong there.

Quick Reply: Dip Stick Stuck - Squealing coming from under car passenger side under cad