Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

its official i am an idiot (washed car and it's 15 deg out) felt warmerm not funny!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 09:17 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default its official i am an idiot (washed car and it's 15 deg out) felt warmerm not funny!!!

Well i woke up today the sun was out i stepped outside and it felt quite wartm. It may be because there wasnt the 20 below zero wind chill there has been for over a week. Anyway i said time to wash the vette as i had just been giving it the california car duster treatment recently. To make a long and embarrasing story short the entire car froze!!! It was only 15 out. I was able to blast the ice off the hood with the water from the hose and dry it quick enough but the rest was solid. I moved it directly into the sun and had to rotte her a few time later in the day. She thawed enough to drive. I drove to do some shopping (the whole rear of the car still frozen) and parken it where there was ample sun. Thankfull she is 98% thawed (a little icing on the rear deck though). Tomoorw it is goint to hit 40 so i should be good. I have flawless paint and was very concerned. Did i learn my lesson today. This sucker was frozen. anyone else ever this dumb!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: its official i am an idiot (washed

anyone else ever this dumb!!!!!!!!
Nope! :lol: :jester (j/k)

It used to happen to me all the time in my old mustang. I would always try to wash it off when it came above freezing, not thinking that it would freeze again later that night. Both doors would always freeze shut. :banghead:

I swear, I used the hatch to get into the car more in the winter than I did either door. :smash:
Old 01-25-2003, 10:20 PM
mid life 90
Burning Brakes

:eek: :eek: :eek: Don't get that cold around here very often. As much as I like keeping the vette clean, not at that temperature
Old 01-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story. :lol:
Old 01-26-2003, 01:58 AM
WEB_War84
Instructor

Default Re: (Raysur)

don't they have heated water at the car wash stations?
Old 01-26-2003, 02:49 AM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: its official i am an idiot (washed car and it's 15 deg out)

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

I did the SAME THING today!... It felt so warm out like you said... It wasnt -20*, lol it was like 20.... but the funnier part was.... I left the hose out and went back a little later to do my rims.. and the hose froze! DOH!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (WEB_War84)

don't they have heated water at the car wash stations?
Yep. It will keep from freezing a whole extra 3 minutes when it's 0 outside! :lol:
Old 01-26-2003, 08:19 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: (Hurricane_777)

Yeah, let me join in here. I'm new to the Midwest and have never had the water freeze in California. I washed mine last week at 27 degrees. After chasing ice for a while I gave up and drove it. And, yeah, the hose is still frozen solid in the driveway.

Tom
Old 01-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: (tpiini)

And, yeah, the hose is still frozen solid in the driveway.

Tom
Good way to get the pipe in the wall behind the hose spiggot to freeze and bust... You DON'T want that happening. I take my hoses off the spiggots around November and they don't get put back on until well into April or May.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:23 AM
NightRyder
Pro

Default Re: (Lone Ranger)

:D
i did that.. but i knew it was gona freezz.. and 12+ of buckets of hot tap water were used before i was ok with the wash.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:49 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LIfe in Anchorage was good, heated garages and most of them had drains built into the floor for ice to melt off.

Only time I did something similar some punk poured a coke on my car (thankfully not the Vette) when I was in school, so I rinsed it and left it. Door frozen shut :eek: Had to get in through the other side.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:00 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: its official i am an idiot (Jeffvette)

glad to hear i wasnt the only one. It got warmer and the car thawed so to speak. I was 44 yesterday and i washed her for two hours. She is under her cover sleeping nice and clean and is not coming out until the roads clear off again (we got snow last night). Have put over 1000 miles on here in the last two months which is good for up here if you dont drive your car when roads or weather are bad (and i don't) so i think she will sleep for a little while now. Spring is coming soon. Thank God.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:00 AM
CBall
Burning Brakes

:bb :bb :eek:
Years ago, I went out with a couple of friends in my 280zx 2 seater. It was a chilly afternoon, but I took the car to the car wash and rinsed it off on the way to pick them up. First, we stopped and ate dinner. Still cold but no problems. Next was the movie...About 2 hours later we came out to very cold and very frozen car.....Finally, we get the hatch up and crawl through the rear deck and break the doors open from the inside :eek: We all pile in and head home. More problems!!!!! :cuss The car froze shut with us in it!!!!!! :rolleyes:
After dropping them off, I found myself with less than 1/8 of a tank of gas, doors and trunk frozen closed, windows frozen as well. Have you ever pulled up to a gas pump at midnight and can't get out of the car, can't roll down the windows to ask anyone for help, can't do anything but look at the pumps??? I coasted into my driveway; by then the heater had warmed the windows enough to allow them to open so I could get out....Next morning the sun came out and all was well....again..... :)
Now, I give it some serious thought before washing in the freezing cold!!!!!!
:seeya

[Modified by CBall, 4:28 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 10:10 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: its official i make thread titles way too long!

That's funny. You should have taken some pics of it encased in ice.

Here's my technique:

Fire up space heater in garage
Roll car out of garage
Hook up hose to warm water from utility sink
Wash car quickly
Roll car back into garage
Grab some cocoa
Dry off car
Old 01-27-2003, 10:51 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Been there, done that :D
Old 01-27-2003, 11:40 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: its official i am an idiot (washed car and it's 15 deg out) felt war

:rofl: Washed mine in 40's.......done the same thing........I said the same last night when I was grilling dinner........ohhhhh its nice out........thermometer=>25F.....come on spring!!!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:59 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: its official i am an idiot (washed car and it's 15 deg out) felt war (kittmaster)

he,he,he,he,he,he,he,he..... :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To its official i am an idiot (washed car and it's 15 deg out) felt warmerm not funny!!!

Old 01-27-2003, 12:18 PM
35th
Drifting

Default Re: its official i am an idiot (brdd)

Washed the Vette on Saturday the Van is still dirty, U can tell which 1 I take better care of @ this point :lol: I scratched the hood up while washing it though :banghead: (dark spot on the hood, thought it was dirt but what ever it was it got into the clear coat) :mad I was @ my shop so my friend who did the paint job just wet sanded the hood and polished it, man was I :D he was there :yesnod:
Old 01-27-2003, 12:28 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Just be glad you didn't shatter the glass with those temps. :) I usually crank the heat a high as possible inside the car to do my best to warm the glass a little. I also turn on the rear defroster.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:26 PM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

Holy crap....... I dont miss those temps at all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quick Reply: its official i am an idiot (washed car and it's 15 deg out) felt warmerm not funny!!!