Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dual-in/Dual-out muffler sound level

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 12:05 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default Dual-in/Dual-out muffler sound level

This might be a good question for those LTx owners who've eliminated their rear mufflers and left their resonator. Or...to those who've done the same AND swapped their resonator with something like a Magnaflow dual-in/dual-out muffler..

I've considered using this configuration in my 383 L98. I also have 200cpi hiflow CATs. So, exhaust would flow through those and a 5x8 oval who's body is 18" long. Even though I've had several exhaust configs in 25yrs of Corvette ownership, I'm concerned this might be too loud....or drone. Even if I were to utilize "j-pipes" to mitigate drone via 1/4 wave sound cancellation, maybe not the thing I want to do? My other option has the same "risk". (BTW, this option would require OVAL piping -- in case that matters).

For complete disclosure, my alternative scheme is to install one/two 12" resonators with Corsa Pro Series mufflers. (If you haven't seen them, there's no absorption packing. They only have a side "vent" that allows sound to enter, form a quarter wave, and return to mitigate drone frequencies. In short, exhaust would travel through: CATS, a couple of wide open resonators (glass packs) and out through Corsa Pro Series mufflers.

In both configurations, they would be built using 3" piping. In both configurations, there's opportunity to go back and add j-pipes.

I'm curious which you think would:
  • Produce the best sound
  • Be the loudest/quietest
  • Create the least cruise drone w/o the need for drone mitigation.

I should also add that I've never gone from 2.5" to 3" piping -- so it's harder for me to anticipate how much additional volume 3" pipe will create? Oh yeah, the first scenario (above) would use a DI/DO muffler that contains absorption packing AND an "x-pipe".
Old 04-29-2024, 07:24 AM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Depends on what you want to hear. My current configuration is long tube headers, no cats, dual 3 inch pipe to X pipe where resonator was out through Corsa mufflers. It is quiet enough to talk or hear the radio but when I step down it gets obnoxiously loud
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (04-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Dual-in/Dual-out muffler sound level