C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 04:28 PM
slowvette235
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Transmission

Does anyone know what kind of transmission this is. I know it’s a tremec 5 speed but I need to know the exact model. I know the pictures are bad but this is the best I got. If anyone has any idea what bell housing this is too. Thanks for any help

Old 05-04-2024, 07:30 AM
'78CorvetteS.A.
Drifting

Received 419 Likes on 292 Posts

Don't know the model, but that's a Chevrolet/GM bellhousing.....the car looks to be an early C4 Corvette, '85 would be my guess👍
Old 05-05-2024, 01:47 PM
slowvette235
5th Gear

Thank you for the help. I just figured that out about the bell housing the other day actually. You are correct about it being an 85 corvette. I’m the 4th owner and the original owner took out the 3+4 trans system and put in this 5 speed tremec. So a lot of the stuff underneath is aftermarket and needs replacing and now I’m tasked with trying to figure out what everything is because when I bought the car, I wasn’t left any recites. So a bit of a foolish purchase but it’s been a ton of fun while it’s lasted. I’m just trying to figure out what type of tremec 5 speed it is because all the ones I’ve been looking at online don’t match up with the photos I have of mine. Thank again
Old 05-05-2024, 02:43 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 553 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by slowvette235
Thank you for the help. I just figured that out about the bell housing the other day actually. You are correct about it being an 85 corvette. I’m the 4th owner and the original owner took out the 3+4 trans system and put in this 5 speed tremec. So a lot of the stuff underneath is aftermarket and needs replacing and now I’m tasked with trying to figure out what everything is because when I bought the car, I wasn’t left any recites. So a bit of a foolish purchase but it’s been a ton of fun while it’s lasted. I’m just trying to figure out what type of tremec 5 speed it is because all the ones I’ve been looking at online don’t match up with the photos I have of mine. Thank again
Not a manual guy but the below link might help. Identify the gear ratios and compare them to the chart in the link.
TKO 5-Speed Rear-Wheel Drive Manual Transmission (tremec.com)
Old 05-05-2024, 03:54 PM
slowvette235
5th Gear

Thanks you! I will definitely look into that. The link was helpful. Also, since I’m pretty sure this kiesler tremec kit is specifically for the 80s vette, would that mean it would be compatible with the stock flywheel that came with the 3+4 trans. Or would the flywheel have to be aftermarket and specific to the tremec 5 speed? Thanks again for all the help

Get notified of new replies

To What Transmission

Quick Reply: What Transmission