Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

FX3 initial installation, what way should the shock knobs be turned?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 01:59 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 572 Likes on 446 Posts

Default FX3 initial installation, what way should the shock ***** be turned?

Im getting ready to put FX3 shocks and actuators back onto a 1993 6spd fx3 coupe that had the system removed (thank you ChumpVette for the parts)

i noticed the ***** on the top spin 180 degrees.

i am working on the rear shocks at the moment.

what way should these ***** be turned at installation ? Full clockwise? Full counterclockwise?

it doesnt look like i can turn the actuators.

but i wonder if i should have them perhaps disconnected , from the shock, when i key-on so that its gear can ‘reset’ before placing them onto the shock top.

and where should fx3 **** selector be at? Soft? Performance?

Or does none of that really matter

also, the FSM mentions that the selector gear should protrude 4.5mm min above the top of the cup assembly , on the shock.

while this does seem correct for the fronts, it doesnt seem correct for the rears (see photo) and i am going to assume a typo in the 1993 FSM red book 1

See how the selector gear is more or less flush wirh the top of the cup, and not 4.5mm above it

Rear shock part number
Old 05-11-2024, 02:55 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,349 Likes on 905 Posts

Doesn’t matter which way. The system does a self check rotation each way to orient itself at key on.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChumpVette:
Will69camaro (05-11-2024), yakmastermax (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 09:55 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 572 Likes on 446 Posts

Should the **** be greased ?

im not talking with black greasy molybdenum sulfide stuff you’d put on a wheel bearing

But clear water resistant grizzle grease that i used to use when i had a yamaha wavereunner
Old 05-12-2024, 12:56 PM
ajp01
Burning Brakes

Received 305 Likes on 242 Posts

No grease needed, the female receiving gear in the actuator is made of nylon plastic normally and it doesn't require lubricant. 4.5mm sounds about right, if it's any higher it won't allow the actuator to seat correctly on top of the shock and the snap retainer ring won't be able to snap into position. So if you have to err, less than 4.5mm is better than more than 4.5mm.

It doesn't matter which setting the control **** is positioned, as Chump mentions the system does a full rotation check from stop to stop when you start the car. If the controller sees any actuator that doesn't have correct rotation range from full soft to hard, at the right rotation range of degrees, it'll set a code and the light will come on.

Be advised, the 1992 and later controllers / shocks were much less than 180 degrees rotation range on the top of the shock. See this post from me where I describe the differences in the models pre- and post- 1992. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1606991733

Your FX3 controller should be matched to the right year/model shocks. If your shock gears on top of the shock turn almost 180 degrees, they are the older shock from pre-1992 and should have the right controller to work properly.

Get notified of new replies

To FX3 initial installation, what way should the shock knobs be turned?

Quick Reply: FX3 initial installation, what way should the shock knobs be turned?