Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:58 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,979 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Default Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette?

Am thinking of a trip into Jalisco. Any tips? Anyone know about service, parts, from Chevy dealers? Any help appreciated. If easier, email me direct: jjacobs@koyote.com. Thanks.

Joel
Old 06-19-2003, 03:04 PM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette? (4thC4at60)

Tenga mucho cuidado y no bebe el agua! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-19-2003, 03:11 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette? (96 Collector Edition)

Muchas gracias (cute).
Old 06-19-2003, 03:16 PM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

Muchas gracias (cute).
De nada mi amigo! :thumbs:
Old 06-19-2003, 03:31 PM
Fett
Instructor

Make sure you check with your insurance company first. Some won't cover your car in Mexico.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:48 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette? (Fett)

There might be one exceptioin, but so far as I know NO American insurance carriers will insure you in Mexico. Good quality insurance is available in Mexico, in addition to the coverage, there are policies that will have an attorney come to you should you be involved in an accident. There's lots of information about driving and traveling in Mexico on the web. What I'm having a problem ascertaining is whether I can depend on a dealer to have the parts - or be able to get them in a short period of time - should the need arise.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:09 PM
offershore
Burning Brakes

no place to mount a 50 cal. if there were i'd think about it. :nonod:
Old 06-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Billy
Instructor

Hi,
I,am here in Arizona and a Insurance agent too.

My opinion...................NO WAY!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!! DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!
Billy Phx.... :banghead:
Old 06-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette? (offershore)

no place to mount a 50 cal. if there were i'd think about it. :nonod:
:withstupid:

Drivign a Vette in Meh-hee-co sounds like a good way to get jacked and be Vetteless and/or lifeless, should you happen accross some bad hombres.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:09 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Ask forum member EduardoL98 in Acapulco. He drives a white 91 down there might give more accurate info.
Let us know how it goes. Suerte compadre :cheers:

***edited out my opinion***

[Modified by 89 Paul in Cal, 5:40 PM 6/19/2003]
Old 06-19-2003, 08:20 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette? (Lone Ranger)

Hey, fellas, get a grip. I really don't care if you guys think it's a good idea for me to drive into Mexico in my Vette or not. I simply asked about parts and repairs should they be needed.

I am a vetern of driving in 55 countries, more than 30 of them third world. The border towns suck. So does, to a large extent, Mexico City with 23 million inhabitants. The expressway (toll roads) are good. The unleaded gas 92 octane. And from dozens of people I've talked with, the trip is safe. One local guy has made the trip a dozen times, including twice on $30K motorcycles. One guy I talked with was 74, he and his 72 year old wife had just made their 5th trip. There's a lot of misinformation about Mexico, get informed before you shoot your "fingers" off on the forum.

How about just answering, if you can, whether parts and mechanical assistance are available.

And to the Insurance Agent, Billy, you don't know of what you speak. Do more reseach if you are to advise your clients wisely.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:23 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette? (89 Paul in Cal)

Paul, thanks for your input. Yours makes sense for it's based on experience.

Suerte is right..... :) Thanks.

Old 06-19-2003, 11:08 PM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Actually the state of TX requires ALL insurance companies to cover 40 miles into MX. However you also want to get a policy with a mexico insurance place. I see a lot of guys driving thier c-4s in mex over here, just today as I was driving back across I was next to a beautiful black c5 vert. Bottom line I'd love to take mine across, there's some nice unpatrolled streches of highway out here ;) that and R-12 is cheap over here. As for parts do some reseach :thumbs:

[Modified by flannel_man, 9:09 PM 6/19/2003]
Old 06-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Hey, fellas, get a grip. I really don't care if you guys think it's a good idea for me to drive into Mexico in my Vette or not.
We were trying to heads-up a fellow forum member on an activity that we perceived to be more hazardous than the norm. No need to be snotty to us, just trying to look out for ya... :rolleyes:
Old 06-19-2003, 11:52 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette? (flannel_man)

Hey, flannel man, thanks! It's obvious that at least three guys on the forum get it.

To Lone Ranger: Yes, I was being "snotty," but when ill-informed, not-very-well-traveled folks (and no, I have no idea how well traveled you are) presume to know something because their great uncle Albert, who fought with the Marines in Honduras in 19xx, decide they want to tell others what's good for them based on heresay... well, it gets very very thin., very very quickly. As I mentioned in a previous post I have driven in 55 countries, 30 third world ones...

I do not own a garage queen, I am extremely well-traveled, and I was simply asking about the availability of parts and service for Corvettes in Mexico. I really didn't ask for advice. I research all my trips very very well before taking any of them, and I seek information from knowledgable sources and from people who have direct experience.

I can say one thing for certain, one of the worst ideas I've ever had in my life was posting a question needing a direct answer to this forum.

Old 06-19-2003, 11:59 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey, flannel man, thanks! It's obvious that at least three guys on the forum get it.

To Lone Ranger: Yes, I was being "snotty," but when ill-informed, not-very-well-traveled folks (and no, I have no idea how well traveled you are) presume to know something because their great uncle Albert, who fought with the Marines in Honduras in 19xx, decide they want to tell others what's good for them based on heresay... well, it gets very very thin., very very quickly. As I mentioned in a previous post I have driven in 55 countries, 30 third world ones...

I do not own a garage queen, I am extremely well-traveled, and I was simply asking about the availability of parts and service for Corvettes in Mexico. I really didn't ask for advice. I research all my trips very very well before taking any of them, and I seek information from knowledgable sources and from people who have direct experience.

I can say one thing for certain, one of the worst ideas I've ever had in my life was posting a question needing a direct answer to this forum.
Have a nice trip. :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 06-20-2003, 01:13 AM
rocketfinger
Burning Brakes

Since I learned (and observed) that the posted speed limits are 'for information purposes only', I've contemplated the same thing. One other observation I'll make about side streets in Celaya and Queretaro (about as deep as you can get) is there are huge speed bumps everywhere. I spent two weeks dragging the undercarriage of a Stratus across those things at 0mph. A Vette wouldn't have a prayer.

[edit] Regarding the possibilty of Vette-jacking, that's a possibility anywhere. I also spent two weeks getting my doors blown off by high-end BMWs and a Porsche or two. Mexico ain't exactly like it used to be thanks to NAFTA. Cel-phones, strip malls, Britney Spears peering down on you from every billboard, and this was as far as you can get from the tourist meccas. Weird.

[Modified by rocketfinger, 12:22 AM 6/20/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette?

Old 06-20-2003, 04:44 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4thC4at60- I agree with you totally about it being the "worst idea I've ever had in my life was posting....to this forum". You hate unrelated comments as much as I hate "attitude". How do you say "ugly American" in Spanish?
Old 06-20-2003, 06:17 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette? (skeet)

Have only two, three people noticed that I still do not have the information I need to make an informed decision? Instead, I'm castigated for my attitude, or besieged with irrelevant comments saying, "Don't do it."

I have no idea how to say "ugly American" in Spanish, I coud say Americano feo, but that would simply describe a physical attribute. I'm hardly Burdick's
"Ugly American" as I was in international journalism and public affairs on three continents for more than 30 years.

I ask again, anyone know if parts and service are available for Corvettes at Chevy dealerships in Mexico?
Old 06-20-2003, 06:27 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Thanks to all for your responses, I'll call GM Mexico tomorrow

(01 55) 53 29 08 00

Joel

Quick Reply: Anyone driven deep into Mexico in their Corvette?