Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Robey5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when???

Guys-

I went to Waterford last weekend expecting to tech and run my 93 on the track. I got there to "Vettes at waterford" and it was a SCCA sanctioned event with a whole bunch of old people showing their corvettes. I did not want to look at corvettes parked, in fact I was a bit bummed. Also, the milkshakes there had no idea when the vette club rents the track...they did offer a parade lap...BORING

Can anyone out there give me some metro detroit auto-x dates and locations??? I am quite sure that something is going on every weekend...

Thanks to you-all.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:48 AM
Paul Campbell
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when??? (Robey5)

The Corvette Club of Michigan rents Waterford every July 4th. Check thier web site for other upcomming events.
The telephone hotline for Detroit area events used to be (248) 545-6733. It has been a few years since I lived there so I don't know if that number is current. There are autocross events almost every Sunday in the summer somewhere in the metro area run by various members clubs of the Detroit council. Also check the Detroit region of the SCCA web site.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:39 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Try checking under 'forums' and then go to 'great lakes'. Might find something there, or at least post your question there.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:31 AM
oldace84
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Nothing in Southern CA.?????????????????
Nothing ever happens out here!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn!!!!
tony
:flag
Old 07-25-2003, 05:30 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when??? (oldace84)

Want a so-cal autocross? Let's do one! Parking structure at Cal Poly.

Don't go over the edge! Seriously though, I'd like to get into this if I can find a job first.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:56 AM
bad-zr1
Racer

The event at Waterford Hills only included a Corvette Coral and free admission if you were in your Corvette. Check out http://www.michcorvette.org
for flyers to NCCC events and links to clubs in Mi.
Events are held under NCCC rules.

:steering:
Old 07-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Paul Campbell
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when??? (bad-zr1)

Bad Z:
I don't know what event you are refering to, but the annual July 4th event has been run by CCM as a high speed time trial for the last 25+ years. While it is primarily a corvette event and is run under NCCC rules, it is open to other makes. Their web site is http://www.corvetteclubmi.com
Old 07-25-2003, 10:52 AM
bad-zr1
Racer

Default Re: Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when??? (Paul Campbell)

Right Paul, the 4th of July event by CCM is great!!! I was referring to the event last weekend that was at Waterford Hills.

:steering:
Old 07-25-2003, 11:58 AM
HoldHard
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Guys-

I went to Waterford last weekend expecting to tech and run my 93 on the track. I got there to "Vettes at waterford" and it was a SCCA sanctioned event with a whole bunch of old people showing their corvettes.
Robey5,

[rant mode ON]

Sounds like you didn't do any research before driving to the track.

So just what's stopping you from going out there and kicking "a whole bunch of old peoples" a** on the track? I'm sure you have your SCCA competition license, right? Danny Kellermeyer, being a GRANDFATHER would be an easy target for someone with your driving skills.

Racing, especially on a track like Waterford is all about seat time. Until you finish ahead of Danny, I'd recommend you respect your elders. Oh, by the way, Danny finished first in ITE class for both the Saturday and Sunday events. The only car ahead of him was the GT1 car which has significantly more horsepower than the Corvette and runs on race tires.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

[Rant Mode OFF]

For additional information on competition events planned by the Corvette Club of Michigan, try http://www.corvetteclubmi.com/schedule.htm

From the CCM website:
"Reminder that on August 2 and 3 the Michigan Region Corvette Clubs will be putting on a benefit autocross for Ray and Sharon Meesseman at the Grissom Air Force Complex in Peru, Indiana. Check the website for information or contact Gordon McCann or Lorraine McLaughlin."

HoldHard

[Modified by HoldHard, 12:04 PM 7/25/2003]

[Modified by HoldHard, 3:15 PM 7/25/2003]
Old 07-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Robey5
Pro

Default Re: Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when??? (HoldHard)

I have mad respect for the people who were out there running their cars and having a grand ole time. I am quite sure that there are plenty of people who would school my butt that are willing to run their car on the track. Age is not the only thing that makes you a, "milkshake."

I do not have much respect for those who feel as though they are better than someone else, just because they own a vette and someone else may not (insert my friend with a 01 Fbody SS). Some of the people that were there with their car (showing it, not driving it) were excited about a laaaaaaaame 25mph average "parade lap," they have never seen any seat time for what ever reason.

My friend with his SS pulled into an area to mearly park, and this old guy (with a rather rough 81, mind you) kept noting that my friends car was not welcome because it, "was not a Corvette."

Somehow, I thought that older vette owners had more respect for others with sports cars. There also was a guy with a rather tight Lotus turned away because his car was not a corvette.

I am not attempting to upset anyone, but I was rather dissapointed with the attitude of others at the "show."
Enough said.

Sorry bud.

Get notified of new replies

To Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when???

Quick Reply: Metro detroit area auto-X. Where and when???