C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What can a DIY'er do on a '96 LT-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 01:54 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 164 Likes on 51 Posts

Default What can a DIY'er do on a '96 LT-4

Please forgive me if these are dumb or vague questions. I have a '71 convertible BB that I have done everything from suspension, paint\body to building the 454. I love this car and love the fact that I can work on it myself. I have been considering getting a '96 for some time and after this past weekends auto fair in Charlotte I really have the fever for a newer one to go with my old on. How different are the motors in these compared to the older cars? Can the home machanic swap cams. What are the hot head and intake combo's? What are the hot mods in general for these cars.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: What can a DIY'er do on a '96 LT-4 (BlackRat)

Newer means tons more electronics and much less space. Things are pretty easy tho. A service manual goes a looooooong ways, and is a must have. A LT-4 is going to run pretty fast (high 12's) in stock trim.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Other than dealing with all the electronics and sensors, not much can't be done by the average backyard mechanic. Nuts and bolts are still nuts and bolts, having the service manual is a great help(they are not quite like the assembly manuals like the C3 has available).
Old 04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Re: What can a DIY'er do on a '96 LT-4 (Mr Mojo)

They are real easy to rip apart and put backtogether. Don't let the wire harnesses wory you. Once you lay them in there place everything just lines right up.

A good street setup for a LT4 is a Hot cam, ported heads, headers,catback, and 4:10s. It got me in the 11's with Drag radials. I also do my own work except the machine work and trannys. (wish I did since my trans is messed up :cry ) :cheers:
Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I would think that given all you have done with your 71 that you should be capable of the challenge these newer cars present. That being said, you will be in for a learning curve as was I. (And still am learning) The LT1 & 4 engines are still small block Chevys but have some significant differences as well. Many of the mods that these engines respond to are the ones that engines have always benefited from but then there are the electronic enhancements, custom programming, etc. The list goes on and on. The best thing is to spend time on the C4 forums picking the minds of the abundance of talent here, read, research and I doubt it'll be too long before you begin to know just what direction you want to go with your project. Are you looking at LT4 (6 speed) or LT1 (automatic)?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:53 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 164 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: What can a DIY'er do on a '96 LT-4 (Corvette Kid NC)

Are you looking at LT4 (6 speed) or LT1 (automatic)?
Thanks for the info guys. Corvette Kid, LT-4 6spd definately. I had an '88 auto, loved the car hated the automatic. :mad :D My '71 was an auto and that was the first thing that I ripped out. Now let me see if I can ask a couple more somewhat intelligent questions.....I hope. :D
1. You guys mentioned a hot cam. What kinda specs as far as lift,duration is considered a hot cam for an LT-4? What is the popular manufacturer?
2. For things like cam changes and head porting will the computer require reprogramming? If so are these tools that I would need to purchase?
3. Who are the popular vendors for performance and handling mods on a C4?

Thanks for the help guys.
:thumbs:

Wade

[Modified by BlackRat, 6:55 AM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The LT4 only has a few minor difference from my LT1, certainly nothing to overcomplicate it. I've had mine strewn across the garage many times. It's now making 110 more HP than it did stock and I drive it every day. I wouldn't hessitate to jump in it and take it cross country either.

Gotta second the vote for the Hot Cam. It makes great power but it maintains good street manners, as well as a very healthy exhaust note :reddevil

Get notified of new replies

To What can a DIY'er do on a '96 LT-4

Quick Reply: What can a DIY'er do on a '96 LT-4