Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 12:39 AM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect?

How fast do you have to be going before any of the above have a positive effect on handling? Does anyone have any idea? Just curious as to where on the speedometer function overtakes form. TIA...

[Modified by tobijohn, 12:39 AM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 06:18 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (tobijohn)

for any of that to work properly it needs to set up in a wind tunnel. The real problem with most add on rear spoilers is positioning it so that it is still in the boundary layer. Once the airstream seperates from the body it forms turbulent airflow and spoiler will not be effective. If set up right the down force will be there at really any speed, but of course more so the faster you go.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (tobijohn)

John, I wouldn't even spend the time being curious! :p:
Old 06-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For it to be effective as well it also has to be bolted to the frame. A lot of these ricers that just bolt the spoiler to the trunk are laughable and dangerous. Assuming these cars actually get up to speed the spoiler create so much drag that they are likely to rip off the car. I've seen a video where one guy wrecks his car because when his crappy spoiler ripped off at speed it upset the balance of the car so much that he couldn't handle it.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How fast do you have to be going before any of the above have a positive effect on handling? Does anyone have any idea? Just curious as to where on the speedometer function overtakes form. TIA...

[Modified by tobijohn, 12:39 AM 6/29/2004]
Well ground effects on a stock car, are basically all show and no go. You will need to reach speeds of near 200mph for it to have any effects to handling, which means you will need at least 500hp.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:07 PM
red87Z52
Advanced

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (Mikez40)

considering my old vette can go 150 mph stock, I doubt that I would see any benefits from add-ons.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:37 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies. Would it be safe to say that the positive effects, if any, would be negligable to none on speeds under say 80 mph?
Old 06-29-2004, 03:03 PM
jodyeastman
Racer

I think only for show if you are in to that. Any small amount of performance gain (ie apparent HP) would be lost by its added weight. It's like going to a stainless steel performance exhaust. You may get 10HP but the weight gain over aluminum for example may require more than 10HP to get back.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:32 PM
azzkikr
Pro

Nearly all of the aftermarket stuff is for show - no matter what they claim... A wing will actually slow you down in the 1/4 mile drags. The rear racing wing is designed to produce downforce on the back of the car to help with traction at racing speeds - like going 100 - 150MPH on a banked curve at a track. If your buying them for performance - forget it, buy N20 or something - but they (ground effects & wings) look great!
Just my $0.02 again...
Old 06-29-2004, 07:52 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (azzkikr)

To each his own. Personally, I like the C4 exterior just the way it came out of Bowling Green and other than perhaps adding a pair of those functional Greenwood hood vents, would never consider doing anything to the stock body. I just wanted to know how much performance my purist attitude was costing me...

BTW Greg, I tried IMing you a month or so ago with some questions about particular mods you had listed in your sig. The IM function is squirrelly enough but with all the pop-up blockers folks are running, it wouldn't surprise me if you never got it. Could I email my questions instead? Thanks..
Old 06-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (azzkikr)

I think a low front spoiler could be effective at keeping air out from underneath the car. The one time I had my stock bodied car to 140 there was enough front end lift to take away steering feel...kinda felt like the front tires were on ice...NOT FUN.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:30 PM
amm0bob
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

80 is just touching wing on the tail...

The small wings that are sold for vettes DO NOT GIVE A PERFOMANCE EDGE AT LESS THAN 80...

But they look

All rear wings add some drag...

a good wing sticks the rear end down at the speed your driving though the corners... you need less angle when you drive faster... and all tracks have a median speed you can romp through the course so planning the angle for the wing isn't imposible... but with more angle you need more HP to push you through the drag the wing puts on the car on the straights...

NOT FOR ET's... I repeat not for ET's.

Your vettes natural body wedge is enough for most of what you'll be doing... unless you're one of the super modified crowd

The wing's benifit comes from road racing and turns... not so much on less than 200 mph cars on a straight track.

This is MY personal experience and the view of friends and family that run on tracks...

I like wings myself... (especially the ones that were put on after wind tunnel testing by the dodge boys, al la dodge charger daytona and plymouth superbird of the late 60's and early 70's).

On a personal note... the wing (if you're considering any of the aftermarket ones sold for the rear end of the vette currently) will not be effective on the street at legal speeds.

This is MHO.

Nearly thirty years experience with wings of many types... 1/4 midgets to street cars under my bottom.

Bob Jr

[Modified by amm0bob, 9:33 PM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 10:35 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

To each his own. Personally, I like the C4 exterior just the way it came out of Bowling Green and other than perhaps adding a pair of those functional Greenwood hood vents, would never consider doing anything to the stock body. I just wanted to know how much performance my purist attitude was costing me...

The only thing it's costing you is the time you spend laughing at the miatas and preludes with 5' wings.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:39 PM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (BowTieBlood)

when they changed the rear bumper on the ZR1 didnt they do it so it would have that lip to be more stable at high speeds? how much does that help? the calloways have that same lip only exaggerated. does it really help more?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:41 AM
Teh Nam
Melting Slicks

... Would it be safe to say that the positive effects, if any, would be negligable to none on speeds under say 80 mph?

Yes!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:00 AM
Midnite 88
Drifting

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (Teh Nam)

Not that it has a direct correlation to a C-4 but, even minor body mods on my Kart (top speed 65mph) make a big difference in the handling through the twisties. (35-45mph)

I would think that ground effects have an effect at speeds even as low as 50mph on a C-4.

Put your hand out the window at 70mph and tell me if there is an effect on it.

Just my opinion.

BTW. The wings on an Indy Car produce 4000lbs of downforce @ 200mph.

Mike.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:37 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (Midnite 88)

Thanks again to all for the input. I was really just curious if any of that stuff made any appreciable difference on the street at up to legal speeds. Apparently not....

Get notified of new replies

To What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect?

Old 06-30-2004, 04:54 PM
F22Trainer
Instructor

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (BowTieBlood)

it's even more laughable when you think they are putting down-force on the back of a front wheel drive car...

ø rice...

I've always liked "stock" machines, though I'm not above some lite performance enhancements. I figure when it comes to 'vettes - they did most of their homework before we got 'em.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:08 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Default Re: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect? (F22Trainer)

it's even more laughable when you think they are putting down-force on the back of a front wheel drive car...
I never even thought of that!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

My `87 had the Greenwood package on it when i got it. Looks cool, but i don`t think I could get the car going fast enough for it to have any effect.

Ken :flag

Quick Reply: What MPH before rear spoilers/wings and ground effects actually have any effect?