Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette Clubs

Old 10-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Clubs

I met with a Corvette Club the other day. They seem like a great bunch of people and I don't want anybody to take offense to this but... they were not even close to my age I'm 32 the youngest I saw there may have been 40 and that was one person the rest were 50+. Does anyone in the area know of any other clubs that have ages closer to mine. I don't want to be worried of being shunned if I do something stupid because it was what my younger mind thought was fun...LIKE LAYING DOWN A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DOLLARS IN MARKS ON THE ROAD. I am not saying that will happen but if I do something stupid like that (not that I would ) but a younger crowd might accept it better. I live in South Florida and there must be other clubs... any ideas? Looking for GEAR HEADS, you know the type.

I did not want to offend anyone here so please take no offense, I am just looking for a club more my age area where tearing up a car is still fun.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:50 AM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Keep looking there are more whipper snapers like you out there.(LOL) I am 46 and I do dumb stuff all the Time just ask my wife.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:46 AM
383 Stroker
Safety Car

Unfortunately, you will have a difficult time finding such a club. When I first got my Vette it was brand new and I was 19 years old. I found a club around my area when I was 26. I was the youngest member there.

You have to keep in mind that most individuals out there that can afford a Vette are somewhere, on average, in their late 40's or early 50's. Most younger individuals prefer to buy other cars that are newer and cheaper instead of buying an older car for less. With that in mind that leaves the Vette out of the equation. I'm not saying that there aren't any younger people buying Vettes, there's just less of them around.

I suggest that you join that club just for the fun of it and do some of the stupid stuff when no one else is around. With all of this said, I'm turning 36 this year and still doing stupid things!

Last edited by 383 Stroker; 10-26-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:19 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

JOIN THE CROWD!!! I'm 28 and I felt the same way when I went to a local club meeting... you have to look at it like this. We all have the addiction... that's why we are here!!! It's like AA only better LOL!!!

The Governor of the club meeting I attended was in his late 50's but he was just as much a gear head as I was! I was shocked!!!
Point being - don't rule old people out because of a gap in age. Most people have Corvettes because of the status and performance of a machine... and we all do stupid things... you just need to know when is the correct time and place for it.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Teenangel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean. Iam 50 years old and I did belong to a corvette club up here in Cleveland, Ohio. Lot of old farts. All they seem to talk about are Corvettes. I've always loved muscle cars. I love Corvettes. But Men Do Not Live By Corvettes Only!. I was only in that club for about 6 months. I meet and have more fun at Local car Shows 7 cruze nights.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:16 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I had the same experience when I got my Corvette and posted a letter similar to yours.
Everyone at the meeting was at least ten years older than I (and I was in my mid-fifties), a good portion were in their 70's and 80's!
That wasn't the worst part; the whole club meeting was about where to go on the next club cruise...and I don't mean in their Corvettes! I mean on a ship!!
The chit-chat was all about what their stock portfolios were doing, and only three out of the 50-60 people there actually drove their Corvettes to the meeting.
Not for me.
So....I got some CorvetteForum members together and we formed our own, informal "club". We have monthly mountain runs in our 'Vettes, and "mod days" at one of our houses where we work on the cars, have BBQ and beer and talk a lot of trash.
Works for us....you might try it?
Larry
Old 10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
rstackjd
Drifting

Originally Posted by code5coupe
So....I got some CorvetteForum members together and we formed our own, informal "club". We have monthly mountain runs in our 'Vettes, and "mod days" at one of our houses where we work on the cars, have BBQ and beer and talk a lot of trash.
Larry
Interesting - I was wondering about the same thing the other night - if there are any SE Wisconsin Forum members who get together on a regular (or irregular) basis I'd love to hear from them.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:26 PM
jhong321
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Justardnck
I met with a Corvette Club the other day. They seem like a great bunch of people and I don't want anybody to take offense to this but... they were not even close to my age I'm 32 the youngest I saw there may have been 40 and that was one person the rest were 50+. Does anyone in the area know of any other clubs that have ages closer to mine. I don't want to be worried of being shunned if I do something stupid because it was what my younger mind thought was fun...LIKE LAYING DOWN A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DOLLARS IN MARKS ON THE ROAD. I am not saying that will happen but if I do something stupid like that (not that I would ) but a younger crowd might accept it better. I live in South Florida and there must be other clubs... any ideas? Looking for GEAR HEADS, you know the type.

I did not want to offend anyone here so please take no offense, I am just looking for a club more my age area where tearing up a car is still fun.
You will notice that the older you get the younger minded you become except for speeding threw traffic. And now that you are older you can afford to do more to your car and not worry as much about breaking things. Trust me when i say us old guys are just a crazy (as long as it's safe). Take the time to talk to some of the older guys you would be surprised what they do.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
rstackjd
Drifting

And always remember:

Old Age and Trechery will overcome youth and exuberance every time! If theres one advantage of being over 45 it's that people don't expect you to have the "right stuff" anymore.

My law partner is 80 and still sails (and races) his own boat. Wish to heck he's retire though - he's too trecherous!

Old 10-26-2004, 06:56 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm... I'm 20.... got my vette when I was 19... i sorta treat the forum as a club... It pretty much is right?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:09 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I So....I got some CorvetteForum members together and we formed our own, informal "club". We have monthly mountain runs in our 'Vettes, and "mod days" at one of our houses where we work on the cars, have BBQ and beer and talk a lot of trash.
Larry

I'm jealous - You southern calif guys have all the fun.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:37 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Some of us guys over 50 like to spin em up, go down the 1/4 mile and cruise around with the targa off (give it another 20yrs and you will understand), but i have a feeling we are not in the majority for this age groop.

You might try Corvette Challenge event at a local drag strip for a group of similar minded Vette owners.

Or try a post on your regional Forum board to see if there's any local interest.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:39 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Larry
Hey Larry, can I come and play too? I'm in Big Bear, CA. I'd be glad to make the cruise in my Vette,
Richard
Old 10-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

I will prob give it a shot anyway, I really just wanted to join because I thought that everyone was more into the cars and the mods, but it seemed to be more like the club was an excuse to get together eat and drink (not a bad thing) just not what I expected. All things aside they were just a great bunch of people but the only thing I think I had incommon with them was a corvette, I really didn't know what to expect but I don't think its for me. I am not one of those guys who go around tearing up the road everywhere I go but sometimes I have to cut the car loose to remind me why I bought one. For instance my front tires are cupping alittle so I will be rotating them to the rear and I hate tire noise so I may have to go and even them back out on some country road somewhere.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:51 PM
quasarblue92
Instructor

We welcome the young people to our club.Besides, most of us older guys entered our second childhood when we got our vettes.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I had the same experience when I got my Corvette and posted a letter similar to yours.
Everyone at the meeting was at least ten years older than I (and I was in my mid-fifties), a good portion were in their 70's and 80's!
That wasn't the worst part; the whole club meeting was about where to go on the next club cruise...and I don't mean in their Corvettes! I mean on a ship!!
The chit-chat was all about what their stock portfolios were doing, and only three out of the 50-60 people there actually drove their Corvettes to the meeting.
Not for me.
Larry
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Im' in Si Senor, I mean canoga Park
Old 10-26-2004, 10:19 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not for me.
Larry
Hey Larry.....why don't you guys come up here to No. Cal and show these guys what a club is?? There isn't a club north of Sacto. to the Oregon border.....let alone Redding. Especially for us older farts.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Clubs

Old 10-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Teenangel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'am not saying the older guys in corvette clubs are bad or anything ..but I like to get out and have some fun with my vette and other GM Muscle cars. I really don't care to sit around and talk about things.. I rather get out and do things. You are right about one thing. When I was a NCC member, 1/2 of the guys never drove their car to any meetings.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I was 16 when I got into my first vette. Here it is 5 years later and 4 vettes later. I am 22 now and it doesn't bother me much to be around the “older” people. It took me a while though; but I finally realized "It's not about the car it's about the people....D.J" and what does age have to do with it any way???

Daniel
Old 10-27-2004, 12:06 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TM-96CE
I'm jealous - You southern calif guys have all the fun.

TM, you and cuisinartvette and C4vetteLT1 are all more than welcome to come join us!! (We even had a SCMR (see the Regional Events Pacific forum) that went through Big Bear this year, C4vetteLT1.)

Not to hijack the thread, but the Regional Events area of this forum is great for contacting Corvette owners who live near you. We usually have 15 - 20 Corvettes on our runs, but even 4 or 5 can make a fun day of it.
PM me if you want some suggestions on getting started...

Larry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Clubs