Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default I have gone and done it this time. Help needed

I'm slowly working my way thru the winter projects and the one I'm on now was to fix the high beam switch.
It has always been loose and almost impossible to get the high beams on. So I pulled the cap like cover off, the one just bellow and behind the turn single arm and looked around to see what was going on. I found that the cover that sits under the cap like one I removed was missing a bolt. I'm thinking sweet this is going to be easier then I had thought. then I put a bolt in it and the switch worked but the bolt would not get tight because it was a little to small to get the correct tread engagement so I pulled it out and tried the next size up. This one was working better but as it was starting to tighten up I heard a pop and things got loose again. I then pulled that bolt out and a little black plastic arm thing fell out. I was not able to find any thing showing signs of breaking but I can't figure out how to get this plastic arm like thing back in. Anyone have any advise on how to do this magic? I can take some pictures so show you better what I'm talking about if that helps.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Hippiehead025
Melting Slicks

take pics. then we can help...lol
Old 11-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Does it have one side that is a half moon shape? if so I think you nee to take the column apart to put it back in. Don't worry... its not as bad as you think I can walk you through it if you want.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:14 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

And this is the part that fell out

Old 11-01-2004, 10:15 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Justardnck
Does it have one side that is a half moon shape? if so I think you nee to take the column apart to put it back in. Don't worry... its not as bad as you think I can walk you through it if you want.
Yes that's the part I'm talking about.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsr402
Yes that's the part I'm talking about.

How the heck did you get that cover off without taking the column apart?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:10 AM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are instructions on steering column repair that I used to tighten up my son's tilt wheel. The corvette has a telescoping steering wheel that these instructions don't address, but I'd bet the rest of it is the same. I'd also bet the telescoping part isn't that big of a deal, but I don't know, I haven't had mine appart. One more thing, these instructions say to pull the column. I tore my son's appart a lot further than you'll have to and didn't remove his from the vehicle. Good luck.

http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html

Last edited by newbecorvetteguy; 11-02-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:49 AM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Old 11-02-2004, 09:42 AM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Justardnck
How the heck did you get that cover off without taking the column apart?

I have got skills..
Old 11-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

I have got skills..

YOU GOT SOMETHING....
BUT I THINK ITS A BROKEM STEERING COLUMN!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:01 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by newbecorvetteguy
Here are instructions on steering column repair that I used to tighten up my son's tilt wheel. The corvette has a telescoping steering wheel that these instructions don't address, but I'd bet the rest of it is the same. I'd also bet the telescoping part isn't that big of a deal, but I don't know, I haven't had mine appart. One more thing, these instructions say to pull the column. I tore my son's appart a lot further than you'll have to and didn't remove his from the vehicle. Good luck.

http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html
That helps some. Man that looks like a pain. Does any one have something like this for a C4 vette? Please.....
I think I will pull the whole thing bcause if I have to go that far I may as well fix the tilt to, it's a little loose.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

That helps some. Man that looks like a pain. Does any one have something like this for a C4 vette? Please.....
I think I will pull the whole thing bcause if I have to go that far I may as well fix the tilt to, it's a little loose.

Last night when I posted I could help walk you through it I didn't know there was a web page with pictures and all. Follow that site to the tee and if you get stuck post your prob here and I will try to help you. I have repaired a lot of these over the years so I am pretty good at it but its hard to put into words if its not right infront of me. That web page looks pretty good though. You will be ok but you do need that steering lock plate tool without it you will hate the fact that you ever attemped it without it. You can get one at most auto parts stores for prob $10. Best money you have ever spent.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:27 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Ok I'm on it... I'll pick up one of those and a wheel puller this week and get going on it..

I'll be sure to ask if I need the help.. Thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 08:25 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're concerned do what I did. Go to a U-Pull-It type junk yard and get a damaged steering column with tilt and cruise out of any 80's-ish gm vehicle. My son's '86 gmc needed a wiper switch in addition to the tilt bolts tightened. Got a damaged steering column for $20. I got the switch out of it and practiced taking it apart and putting it together a few times. After doing that the real job was a snap. Felt good having extra parts at my finger tips should I have needed them too...which I didn't after all. Hec, if I was into ebay I probably could have gotten the $20 back selling the good parts out of the junk column.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:47 AM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Well I got it out last night and got it fixed and now I just have to put it back in the car... Not that bad to do really but man could GM come up with a more asinine way of doing that stuff? Man I hate engineers -- OH wait, I am one...
Old 11-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Well I got it out last night and got it fixed and now I just have to put it back in the car... Not that bad to do really but man could GM come up with a more asinine way of doing that stuff? Man I hate engineers -- OH wait, I am one...

Do a couple of them and its no prob. you'll be wanting to help all your freinds with their column probs. If you have the tools its a snap, I had them down to about 30 mins with the column in the car. Prob is I haven't done one in a few years and its kind of a use it or lose it knowledge, or at least you forget the order of disassembly.

Glad to hear you fixed it!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:42 AM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for the help guys.

But no I won't be doing another one any time soon -- I hope.

Get notified of new replies

To I have gone and done it this time. Help needed

Quick Reply: I have gone and done it this time. Help needed