Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1500 dollars to fix a fender crack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 09:19 AM
rustangkiller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 dollars to fix a fender crack?

i had a run flat collaps on me on the high way and the tire fliped up and took a small peice of my fender with it. i got the pice and glued it back on and did a little touch up and now it just looks like a deep black crack about 7 inches long form the most right corner of the quarter panel to the rear about 7". to it to a small shop and they told me 1500 dollars. is it me or was this guy trying to rip me off. i mean some people get there whole cars painted for that. he was going to blend it in. would a new quarter panel be a cheaper option than repair. its bad enough the tires were 300 a piece. im a new vette owner and im still happy with the car. just finding out how much it realy cost to own one.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:21 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need pic'
Old 11-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

I don't like blended paint work... I would keep looking for another shop.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:59 AM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Justardnck
I don't like blended paint work... I would keep looking for another shop.
Ditto: At $1500.00 they should replace and repaint the entire fender. That would also make for a perfect repair. Blending paints can turn out damn good, but always less than perfect. I don't even understand his logic in wanting to do a blend on such a small panel. It would actually be easier to just shoot the whole thing.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:05 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Runflats
Old 11-02-2004, 02:13 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default $1500. sounds a bit high....

For that price, they should fix the fender and paint the entire fender. Thats my .02.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:17 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C4VetteLT1
Ditto: At $1500.00 they should replace and repaint the entire fender. That would also make for a perfect repair. Blending paints can turn out damn good, but always less than perfect. I don't even understand his logic in wanting to do a blend on such a small panel. It would actually be easier to just shoot the whole thing.
$1500 sounds about right to me depending on the labor rate. The body shop has to reinforce the crack usually from behind the panel before starting any body work such as filler, primer etc...

After the body work, the painter then needs to color match the paint and Blend the paint from the damaged area onto any adjacent panels such as the front of the wheel well, rear bumper cover and possibly the top section of the quarter panels. Each of these panels have to be prepped for paint, clear coated, color sanded, buffed and polished for a correct repair.

A lot of body shops will just repair the panel, order the paint (which never matches correctly without some final tinting), paint and clearcoat the panel. This ends up being a bad repair because you can clearly see that the quarter panel color does not match the other panels around it (that's why you blend the paint as you're spraying it). That's why these shops charge less.

Ask the shop how many hours this repair will require times the labor rate plus materials, tax and you can see how it adds up.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GKK; 11-02-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1500 dollars to fix a fender crack?

Quick Reply: 1500 dollars to fix a fender crack?