C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

drivers door not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 11:53 AM
mcgovern1955
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivers door not working

I have a 1993 vette, which has been giving me some problems all of which are intermitent. First the window would roll down and then not roll up again. If you slammed the door sometimes it would begin working again.
Then when you open the drivers door, the radio is supposed to turn off and the antenna is supposed to retract. It does not turn off now and the switch for the back glass is not working either?

Has anyone had this problem and maybe could help me figure out where to start?

thanks

Jim
Old 11-02-2004, 12:08 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I would say that you have a short somewhere in the door. But I have never pulled mine apart and don't want to do it any time soon. So I can't help you with what to do exactly. I'm sure somone will chime in though. Good luck
Old 11-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mcgovern1955
I have a 1993 vette, which has been giving me some problems all of which are intermitent. First the window would roll down and then not roll up again. If you slammed the door sometimes it would begin working again.
Then when you open the drivers door, the radio is supposed to turn off and the antenna is supposed to retract. It does not turn off now and the switch for the back glass is not working either?

Has anyone had this problem and maybe could help me figure out where to start?

thanks

Jim

Well the window not working till the door is slammed that sounds like a window motor. The radio and antenna not going off or down sounds like the switch is bad in the latch but like FSR402 says I would be looking into where the wires go from the door to the dash and see if there is a pinched wire. If the wires look ok... look at them closer maybe a couple are pinched or broken insidr the insulation of the wire and is causing an intermitant concern.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:49 PM
BigTexas
Burning Brakes

I don't know if this is factual but a person told me that when the window is rolled down, a wire inside of the door is being pinched (by the window). Use some zip ties and see if you can pull the wires away from the path of the window. That is what I did and it seems like I fixed my problem. The other problem...I have no clue. Like others have said, probably a bad switch.

B.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:49 AM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably have two separate issues... that's my assumption, because both problems are very common.

1. The door ajar switch is going bad. When this happens, the car will not detect you opening the door, so it won't shut the radio off, and won't allow the hatch switch (on the door) to function either (both features rely on a functioning door ajar switch)

and,

2. The window motor is going bad.

Get notified of new replies

To drivers door not working

Quick Reply: drivers door not working