Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Vortech Supercharger kit- complete w/ intercooler, fuel system & alky injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Vortech Supercharger kit- complete w/ intercooler, fuel system & alky injection

Hi guys. Well, it’s come time to buy a condo and quit renting. With that, I’m trying to free up some cash for the down. Unfortunately (for me) it’s time to start selling at least some of my corvette gear.

I will be selling my Vortech Ysi kit. I will include everything you need to get this going on a 92-96 LT1 or LT4 vette. This is a custom kit and is very complete. Almost everything has less than 1500 miles on it. It will cost you less than an off the shelf system and will save you a bunch of cash in the long run.

Included will be:
• YSI polished head unit (less than 1500 miles)
• Carroll bracketry modified for 8 rib drive
• ATI superdamper with 6 rib accessory, 8 rib blower drive. Less than 1500 miles
• Mototron 60lb injectors – less than 1500 miles
• Alky injection kit. Dual Nozzle. Snow Progressive controller. Uses the WW tank as the reservoir.
• Procharger red race blowoff valve. This is the one good to 2000 hp. -4 line from the manifold to the blowoff (less than 1500 miles). The car sounds like a turbo car when you let off the gas. Whoosh!
• Brand new Racetronix Walbro 392 inline fuel pump. Never installed
• Magnavolt fuel pump voltage booster. Under boost raises voltage to the pump to 16.5 volts. I connected this to the inline fuel pump so that the in tank flows at freeflow (bumps fuel system to approx 330 liters per hour). Less than 500 miles
• Chip to control the timing and fueling
• Innovate Wide band 02 sensor and brand new 2 1/16” guage for the guage pod. Wide band is used less than 1500 miles; guage is new.
• 2.75” pulley and belt; currently using the 3.0” pulley and belt
• Homemade tension supplemental spring mechanism. It assists in adding tension to the belt tensioner. This is good for tuning or at the track. Under normal street driving I just rely on the bracket’s belt tensioner.

Optional:
• Huge Air to Air intercooler. Core measures 18” by 4”(72” of hot side area). It is identical to the procharger one included with the kits except with a much larger core. It will handle 750 hp worth the flow without restriction. It is functional to almost 1000 hp with boost loss. It also positions the core in the air stream unlike the ATI procharger one. I will also include my doghouse plastic cover if you’d like to not cut up yours. I have some custom fabbed blower to intercooler tubing that I will include. The end part will need to be cut off and the blowoff valve mounting flange will need to be added, but it’s custom done for the c4 corvette and will save you about $300 in fabrication costs. An intercooler like this would run about $1450-1700 to build custom including the discharge tube.

The one time I measured on datamaster, the car put out 668 hp on datamaster @ 5000 rpm before running out of fuel. The line to the fuel pressure regulator came off so it wasn’t stepping up the fuel pressure as it should have. I would imagine that it would put out almost 775 fwhp by 6000 with the current pulley setup (3.0”). This run was also prior to the Magnavolt. Since then I haven’t had any issues with fueling and I haven’t noticed any detonation. The timing is setup very conservatively for almost zero knock on 91 octane, garbage, California gas.

The blower previously put out 717 rwhp (at 17lbs) on Shopview’s car(mild 383 according to Tom Nelson). I bought the head unit and bracket off him with dyno time only. I have used it commuting to work on Fridays and run it hard getting onto the freeway. Without drag radials, the power is insane. It makes excellent boost by 3500rpm. It then comes on like crazy and really pushes you back in the seat. You can peel out anywhere under the speed limit on street tires. If you rev up your engine to higher rpms, I don’t see any reason why you won’t bury a 20lb boost guage from what Greg at Blowerworks told me. This setup sounds like a jet and is a definite head turner. This isn’t for the faint of heart. If you’re serious about going fast, this is your ticket. You will not outgrow this head unit as it's good from about 500hp at low boost to over 1300 fwhp as evidenced by the racers running 8.40's on an 8 rib belt with this unit.

At the track with my smaller T trim unit, with a stock stall converter, leaving off the footbrake at idle, it ran 7.30’s @ 97 mph. It easily feels like it’ll go into the 6’s at 105-110 now. I haven’t been back to the track for fear of breaking my rear or trans. The numbers on Datamaster were almost 90hp higher than my T trim with the same boost level. This thing moves some serious air. It can be dialed back with the addition of a 3.33 or 3.60 pulley which is available off the shelf from vortech or found cheaply on ebay.

I don't even want to know how much this stuff would cost new. I imagine that the head unit alone would run around $3,000. The ysi isn't available as part of a corvette kit, so you would have to buy this setup in pieces which costs even more.

I’ll take $4500 for everything or $3850 for it non-intercooled. I may consider selling the intercooler separate for $750. Photos to follow later today. The kit is located in Orange County, CA and it is currently on the car. I can take you for a test drive if you’re serious. I will be taking it off the car either when it sells or around the holiday weekend. Let me know if you have any questions at russriggs@yahoo.com
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...if only i had known earlier...

hey, what about the wheels/tires, do you have headers, exhaust? Etc?

i got the stock saw-blades with good tread, and stock exhaust and flowmasters if you plan on returning your vette' back to stock.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 PM
ubnpast
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im interested. will pm you with a few questions..
Old 08-18-2008, 07:41 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the offer. I have 18" speedlines with 275/335 tires. I have hooker headers and a dual 3" b & b from front to back. If I sell the car I'll probably sell it with all the mods since there are too many to take off. 54,450 miles on the car. The engine, trans and rear swap were done at 30k. The car has:

exterior - red. 92 only color I believe
interior- black
suspension:
qa1 coil overs with adjustable shocks up front
brand new steering rack

brakes:
brembo 13.5" front brakes with drilled/slotted rotors
drm brake bias spring
brand new brake booster
near new master cylinder
speed bleeders

wheels/tires:
18" custom speedlines, 18/10 18/11. Custom offset. $4000 new
goodyear runflats off a zo6 with less than 1000 miles (front) 275/35/18
pirelli p zeros in the rear - 335/30/18

driveline
rebuilt 700r4
dana 44 swap with 3.73 gears

engine:
383 cubic inch w/ 24000 miles
hot cam
lt4 heads, cnc ported
modded lt1 intake painted red and ported
Arizona speed and marine throttle body

fuel system:
walbro 340 in tank pump (changed filter sock 50 miles ago)
t rex 50/70 inline fuel pump
fmu -not currently used

exhaust
hooker long tube headers
3" b & b exhaust w/ bung for 02
high flow cats (not sure how good they are though)

misc:
boost and fuel pressure guage in a pillar
crane ignition with btm
blowerworks plug wires with less than 500 miles on them
accal coil
approx $1500 stereo with mp3, 5 channel amp and subwoofer
large aftermarket radiator- car never runs hot even in stopped traffic with the ac on
trans and power steering and oil coolers
5 point belts
4 point roll bar
fire system with 5 lb bottle
tons of briaded line
new battery
thermostat on the oil cooler
I'm not sure about the body, but I believe it is updated as far as some of the body panels and has euro tail lights. It didn't make the car faster so I didn't care...

So, in summary, I'll probably sell it whole or at worst part it out(if I do sell it). There's over $40k in aftermarket parts on the car (including the blower) so I may be able to part it out and get a decent amount back for it. But, if I am not forced to sell it, I'll probably keep it so that I have something to toy with.

Oh yeah, I have the near 60 page manual for the supercharger kit install as well.

Last edited by qwiketz; 08-22-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

pictures to come later tonight.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

if you choose to return it back to stock keep me posted, i'd like to know what you'd like for individual items.

what are you looking to get for the car?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

http://juggernaut.no-ip.org/pictures...side%20low.JPG
Old 08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Here's the intercooler pics:

http://juggernaut.no-ip.org/pictures...20side%201.JPG

Old 08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Here's an idea of how the tubing that I have would fit from the discharge to the inlet on the intercooler. The very end of this tube would have to be cut off because the intercooler it was used on had a different angle on the intercooler inlet tube. Once cut, you would join the two with a silicone sleeve. There is a provision for a bypass, but it isn't the race bypass I have so that would have to be added (approx $35). Core measures 18" by 4".

In this picture you can see at the bottom of the well how it curves toward the radiator. This part that curves would just need to get hacked off. It would only take 10 minutes.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Here's two photos of the car taken yesterday. Please excuse the loose rocker panel. I just installed a new battery and still need to tighten down the screws better.

And the license plate sums it up...

Last edited by qwiketz; 08-19-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you decide to part the car out I will take ALOT of your setup. And I'm serious so keep that in mind...I'd def. take the suspension, Brakes, and possibly the 383 all depending on price of course. Keep it in mind
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Guys. I'm looking for $13500 for the car. In pieces I believe that I can get about $15,000-16,000 but I'd like to see it go to a good home where someone can enjoy it. The car will come with the blower kit on it, intercooler that is not yet installed and a set of extra 17" zr1 wheels that you can use for drag radials.

Known problems on the car:
-passenger window doesn't go up or down (I'll have this fixed, about $200-250)
-rubber around the windows has seen better days.
-trans is slipping in 2nd gear under a lot of throttle. I need to take the car to the trans shop to see if it needs to be adjusted or freshened up. Otherwise it works fine
-paint on the rear bumper cover is dulling like many other c4's.
-ac and heat worked fine prior to the ysi install. I just need to take it to the shop to have it recharged and one line fabbed. I have the refrigerant at my house.

Other than that, there are a few minor cosmetic issues. The underside of the hood needed to be clearanced for the blower. The instructions show how to dress this up and make it look stock but I didn't get to it. Also, the paint looks good when washed but there are some minor scratches and rock pits. On the front of the car there is a scratch from someones license plate scraping the front of the car. They didn't see it because it was so low.

Car almost passes CA smog. It is currently registered in CA. It should pass just about any other state's smog test. It passed with the t trim. The ysi puts just enough additional load to push it over the edge here. As you know, CA is the most strict state. The car does have cats but does not have EGR and it still almost passed.

Anyhow, pm me any additional questions. I'm really just looking to sell the blower kit right now, but if someone wanted to pickup the whole car, I'd be up for selling it. The engine, trans, and dana 44 rear end were done at 30,000 miles. Car has 54,410 as of right now. I drove it to work today and it is perfectly reliable. I've driven it in 100* heat with the ac on in stop and go traffic on the 5 freeway in rush hour without worrying about it. It rarely gets over 205-210*. The oil doesn't get too hot either since it's got a cooler.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

wait a minute here, you mentioned you wanted 13,500 for the car AND the supercharger installed?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Possibly interested in the air to air intercooler. You said it mounts in the airstream? Does it mount in front of the radiator/condenser? Any photos of it installed or mocked in place?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
wait a minute here, you mentioned you wanted 13,500 for the car AND the supercharger installed?
Correct, I'll sell the car for 13,500 as it sits or sell the blower kit separate if someone wants it. If the blower kit sells, I'll drive the car till it sells and if everything sells, well, I'll be out of the corvette stuff for a little while. The money is going to a down payment on a house or condo so loosing my hotrod is at least for a good cause.

Last edited by qwiketz; 08-20-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:00 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Possibly interested in the air to air intercooler. You said it mounts in the airstream? Does it mount in front of the radiator/condenser? Any photos of it installed or mocked in place?
I never installed it so I don't have any photos of it installed unfortunately. It was on the "to do list" but with all the coolers I'd have to move, it'd take a full day so I put it off.

You currently have a procharger air to air if I recall. What is the core size on that one for reference?

Last edited by qwiketz; 08-20-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech Supercharger kit- complete w/ intercooler, fuel system & alky injection

Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

I sold the procharger air to air unit because I knew it was not sufficient for my goals. It was much smaller though. I have the dimensions of it somewhere, but dont' know where since we moved.

I had pretty much decided to use an water to air IC.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

I too had a procharer air to air at one point but never even considered using it once I found out more about where it sat and how big the core was. I sold it a few years back.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Where is your IC designed to sit? In front of the rad and AC condensor or more where the procharger unit does?

Quick Reply: Vortech Supercharger kit- complete w/ intercooler, fuel system & alky injection