Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

WTB: CHMSL Bezel for 1990 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist
Default CHMSL Bezel for 1990 Corvette

I am looking for a CHMSL cover for my 1990 White Corvette. Car was in a rear end accident this summer. Vehicle was repaired beautifully. Except for the CHMSL. I believe it to be an aftermarket part because it now has 2 screws attaching it to the vehicle. Yuck! Looks awful.
Part # 21 00918411 LAMP has been discontinued.

Help. From my Forum Friends.

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:03 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Stellabarbara
I am looking for a CHMSL cover for my 1990 White Corvette. Car was in a rear end accident this summer. Vehicle was repaired beautifully. Except for the CHMSL. I believe it to be an aftermarket part because it now has 2 screws attaching it to the vehicle. Yuck! Looks awful.
Part # 21 00918411 LAMP has been discontinued.

Help. From my Forum Friends.

Thank you in advance.
Was the rear glass replaced as part of the repair? Could be very important and explain maybe why!!

I have a DRM but I'd think you should be able to find white.

You might post a snapshot of what you've got now. The part# is for a coupe(which I believe you have) but it could easily be assumed by description you meant a CHMSL bezel for a 'vert.

You were the claimant in this accident?
Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Also take a picture of the underside
Old 11-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Fauxari08
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Default ..

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Also take a picture of the underside
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1990-C...-/291890625451

IF IT'S A VERT HERE IS ONE, ALSO HAVE HIGH MOUNT COUPE.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist
Default CHMSL Bezel issue

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Was the rear glass replaced as part of the repair? Could be very important and explain maybe why!!

I have a DRM but I'd think you should be able to find white.

You might post a snapshot of what you've got now. The part# is for a coupe(which I believe you have) but it could easily be assumed by description you meant a CHMSL bezel for a 'vert.

You were the claimant in this accident?
Yes, I was rear ended. Hit about 35 to 40 MPH. Guy said he didn't see me, and then fled the scene. He hit me so hard it blew the back glass out. Yes, it is the CHMSL bezel. I added an image of the damage, repair and the bezel. Thank you for your response.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Take a picture of the under side where the light is. My guess is they used a 91-96 hatch with no provisions to mount the light
Old 11-03-2017, 09:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

OP - Did you pay out of pocket for this repair or did an insurance company pay for/negotiate the repair with the shop. I don't believe I'd remove a thing for snapshots, it seems very obvious that a later rear vision was used as I suspected.

Does the defrost grid function? That could impact the repair procedures maybe. How long ago was the repair done?

If you took a cash settlement with the insurance company and paid out of pocket then the repair is between you and the shop. If you supplied the parts then maybe it's all on you!

If insurance negotiated with the shop then the proper repair is/should be on the shop and/or the insurance company.

The shop could have/should have transferred the upper panel from the car to the replacement rear glass. There's no short cuts to a proper repair. It requires either a complete rear glass from a correct car OR the transfer of the painted panel to the rear vision used for the repair.

***There should be many parting '90 and earlier coupes that would be happy to remove I'd think the panel and the CHMSL to use for the repair. It's quite easily removed.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-03-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

- double check with your insurance. however, if you need one, and can't fine one on "C4 parts wanted," surf fleabay - several available. there's a seller here in south florida - "redneck43" - steve specializes in parting out C4's, and i've purchased many, many, many parts from him over the years. his prices, even with shipping are reasonable. you might even luck out and find one in white. if you contact him, tell him "joe c" sent you!

i'm a little curious about those two screws holding your current light assembly - wonder why the bodyshop did that, and is there some underlying reason - ???

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...-fits&_sacat=0
Old 11-10-2017, 08:37 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Well my best guess is the replacement hatch does not have the added holes for the CHMSL

like this one

She will need 86-90 Hatch glass from a regular car or 90-95 ZR-1 Hatch..
Old 11-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Well my best guess is the replacement hatch does not have the added holes for the CHMSL

like this one

She will need 86-90 Hatch glass from a regular car or 90-95 ZR-1 Hatch..
here's the problem I have with the mounting. if the holes were not in the replacement hatch glass, the body shop would have to drill thru the replacement glass to mount the brake light as shown. The door and rear glass is tempered, while windshields are laminated. drilling thru tempered glass would be tricky, if not damn near impossible. one little slip up and BOOM! my gut feeling is the OP might have the correct glass with mounting holes for the center mounted brake light. just wondering why the body shop assembled as shown. maybe the OP can post a detailed pic of the underside hatch/hinge plate.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:18 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Joe I totally agree..

I honestly think the Body shop or whomever purchased parts.. Said they needed a C4 hatch glass and being used, they did not search out for the correct year..

I am not suggesting drill holes in the glass, I would go back to the body shop and tell them you needed a 86-90 Hatch glass to mount the CHMSL correctly.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have one, if you are interested.
Shawn
Old 12-08-2017, 11:56 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Back in the late 80s I bought a 3rd brake light for my '85. It was actually a factory part but there were studs that were, what appeared to be, epoxied, or JB Welded, to the housing so that when holes were drilled in the hatch the bolts would miss the glass. I have a factory 3rd brake light that needs to be painted but it seems that if you have an early or late hatch then probably the best solution is to modify a factory part. The one I put on in or around 87-88 is owned by a friend of mine and it is still attached with no issues. The attached pictures show the factory mounting holes and bolts in the hinge where they passed through the glass (the green shaded area) since the glass was removed from this hinge. I marked a couple of Xs in the area where the hinge needs to be drilled in order for a 3rd brake light to mount to an early hinge. The second pic simply shows the approximate location the bolts are JB Welded to the hinge. I would expect the bolt heads need to be ground down so only the threads protrude past the bottom of the brake light housing, this way it will tighten up flat to the hinge. The locations given are just estimated locations, you'll have to fit it to your hinge carefully.

Art aka MrRenoman

Last edited by MrRenoman; 12-08-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CHMSL Bezel for 1990 Corvette

Quick Reply: WTB: CHMSL Bezel for 1990 Corvette