Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

WTB: Brake booster for a 1996

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 PM
lt4red
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake booster for a 1996

Anyone have a brake booster for a 92-96?

I have tried Rockauto, Oreiley, Autozone, Advance, Napa and Scoggin Dickey. They all show it available, but try to order it and "nope" order cancelled.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:28 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is one of those parts that availability really sucks on 92-96's Have you tried your local junkyard or one of the corvette salvage yards? There are also a few on eBay of the used variety.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:02 AM
Espy1949
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default vacuum boodter

just got one on ebay brand new
it is metal rather than plastic. my brakes have never been this responsive. you must check the pushrod adjustment before installing the master cylinder. mine is a 93 and the rod adjustment for mine was out almost flush with the booster body. check your old one with a set of verneers calipers and preset your new one. (most mechanics don't set them up right) you'll b glad you did.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:50 AM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Espy1949
just got one on ebay brand new
it is metal rather than plastic. my brakes have never been this responsive. you must check the pushrod adjustment before installing the master cylinder. mine is a 93 and the rod adjustment for mine was out almost flush with the booster body. check your old one with a set of verneers calipers and preset your new one. (most mechanics don't set them up right) you'll b glad you did.
Not to hijack because I think this will help the OP as well.
What brand did you get? Do you have a part number? I have been under the impression ZR1's were metal. I have yet to find one. I think my headers kill the plastic ones after a few years. On my second one and due for number 3.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Espy1949
Racer

Default booster

I have messaged the seller as soon as he gets back to me I should have a means of you ordering one from him directy. the ones that he sells fit all C4S which I thought was odd because they are not advertised as such on eBay so reality is you most likely can buy one on eBay for half of what I paid
if it fits a 90 or even earlier it'll fit yours. There is a pushrod that requires an adjustment on the master cylinder side of the brake booster typically that pushrod after its adjusted and in all the way wants to be recessed in around 1/16 of an inch or so that way you won't have excessive brake pedal travel if you end up with brake pedal travel you need to slide the master cylinder off lengthen the rod

a little bit and put it back together I have done it a ton of times with the previous boosters that I had and I know it's aggravating so that's why I'm giving you a heads up now
Old 05-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Espy1949
Racer

Default booster

I have messaged the seller as soon as he gets back to me I should have a means of you ordering one from him directy. the ones that he sells fit all C4S which I thought was odd because they are not advertised as such on eBay so reality is you most likely can buy one on eBay for half of what I paid
if it fits a 90 or even earlier it'll fit yours. There is a pushrod that requires an adjustment on the master cylinder side of the brake booster typically that pushrod after its adjusted and in all the way wants to be recessed in around 1/16 of an inch or so that way you won't have excessive brake pedal travel if you end up with brake pedal travel you need to slide the master cylinder off lengthen the rod

a little bit and put it back together I have done it a ton of times with the previous boosters that I had and I know it's aggravating so that's why I'm giving you a heads up now
Old 05-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Espy1949
Racer

Default brake booster where to buy

hi here is the phone number of the guy with the booster 786 356 8415 his name is iggy and hes in miami fl. good luck
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 PM
bmw_bill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let you know....I found the booster off of a 95 I disassembled a couple of years ago...plastic. I also have the booster. Both are in great shape.

Let me know if you want to see it...I've posted pictures on my MS LIVE site

Thanks

BillR
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Espy1949
Racer

Default booster

heck no . at 70 years old and having had 11 vettes ( not to mention jaguars and porsche)
none of which ever had a brake booster problems, I'm all set. My brakes work the nuts.
if i never hear the word vacuum booster again it'll be too soon. meanwhile like they we say in new hampshire
"Live free or die"
Old 05-17-2019, 11:50 AM
lt4red
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up buying a reman ACDelco 14PB4073 off of amazon. It showed plastic, but what I received was metal. Installed and working fine, though I did have to adjust my brake switches down because the new booster put my pedal down a little compared to the other one.

And thanks for the heads up on adjusting the rod on the master cylinder end. I need to do this, as there does seem to be quite a bit of pedal travel before the brakes grab.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:20 PM
Espy1949
Racer

Default brake booster

hi, to make the pushrod adjustment slide your master cyl. out enough in insert a probe inside find out the recessed depth. compare that dimension to the sleeve on the brake cylinder from the edge to where it seats against the booster. in my case the two dimensions were the same so i knew that my rod had to b recessed into the booster not even an 1/8th of an inch. once i set that in installed my booster i was right on. no brake travel to speak of and an awesome feel when braking. FYI you may or may not already know this never overfill your brake resevoir when the fluid gets hot it expands and if your over full it has no where to go and will start to apply the brakes
on the delco you can slide the push rod out to make your adjustment and lock it back by turn til it slides on really easy good luck keep me posted

Get notified of new replies

To Brake booster for a 1996

Quick Reply: WTB: Brake booster for a 1996