Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Bad deal with Jeff Vette part 2!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:04 AM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4VetteLT1
Pesonally Jeff, I would give him his money back just to end this conflict. They're obviously not working for him and your name is getting dragged through the mud. Is it really worth it to you to keep his money? Just from what I've read on this Jeff, and I'm not trying to offend you, but I would never buy anything from you. I'm sure many others feel the same. I just don't understand how that can be worth it to you. Personally my name and reputation are worth more to me than the price of a set of wheels. I'm not even trying to evaluate who's right or wrong in this situation. But if I had a customer this unhappy with something I sold to him, I'd want to immediately correct it. You could always find out what car they would properly fit, then list them on e-bay.
give back the money
Old 12-22-2004, 12:13 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
How many FWD cars have a 5 lug Chevy bolt pattern and can accept a 17x 9.5 rim?

There isn't. But there IS jaguar and bmw wheels that use a 5x120mm bolt pattern. The GM pattern is 5x120.65mm (aka 4.75").

Now... is .65mm significant? Is it measurable? Will the wheels fall off?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:22 AM
HOMER308
Instructor

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
There isn't. But there IS jaguar and bmw wheels that use a 5x120mm bolt pattern. The GM pattern is 5x120.65mm (aka 4.75").

Now... is .65mm significant? Is it measurable? Will the wheels fall off?
The difference in bolt circles is about .025" - that would mean the centerline on each wheelstud on a Chevy pattern would be about .012" outside the metric bolt circle - my kid has already done this on one of his cars - while it is not a perfect fit, the alloy material in the wheel would probably give enough to have the lugs seat properly, provided the wheels called for tapered seat lugs.

Hate to have to rely on a "probably" though - especially on wheels as pricey as Fikses!!
Old 12-22-2004, 02:37 AM
zelement
Melting Slicks

not to add fuel to the fire but...Were they brand new? what size are they? You could purchase a set of brand new 17" fikses for around $2600 brand new.

jeffvette, why did you get such a weird offset?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

Pesonally Jeff, I would give him his money back just to end this conflict. They're obviously not working for him and your name is getting dragged through the mud. Is it really worth it to you to keep his money? Just from what I've read on this Jeff, and I'm not trying to offend you, but I would never buy anything from you. I'm sure many others feel the same. I just don't understand how that can be worth it to you. Personally my name and reputation are worth more to me than the price of a set of wheels. I'm not even trying to evaluate who's right or wrong in this situation. But if I had a customer this unhappy with something I sold to him, I'd want to immediately correct it. You could always find out what car they would properly fit, then list them on e-bay.
I think Jeff intentionally misrepresented the wheels and probably never even had the centers at all. Why else would he not have given an immediate refund when it became obvious Juan got screwed on this deal? Jeff is a crook in my opinion
Old 12-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER308
while it is not a perfect fit, the alloy material in the wheel would probably give enough to have the lugs seat properly, provided the wheels called for tapered seat lugs.
NFW I'd drive a car like that.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:09 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by Caboboy
I think Jeff intentionally misrepresented the wheels and probably never even had the centers at all. Why else would he not have given an immediate refund when it became obvious Juan got screwed on this deal? Jeff is a crook in my opinion
That is the exact problem... We all think. We, the jury of peers, can not accurately assess what actually happened here. Everyone agrees that there is a problem with the transaction that took place between Juan and Jeff. I agree with that. I agree that there should be some form of retribution to correct this matter... but it was stated in the previous thead regarding this problem that Jeff is a pretty upstanding gentleman and for all of us that slander Jeff's reputation with no evidence of exactly what took place needs to keep there opinions to themselves.

I do not wish to insult or **** off any other forum member with my above comment... but think about it. You (nor I) were the ones involved in the purchase of these wheels. Had it happened to me, yes I'd be pissed too, but it didn't and therefore I, nor anyone else should consider Jeff a crook until it is clear and evident that he has the intentions of inflicting some form of financial harm towards Juan or any other forum member.

Juan... I'm still sorry to hear of your hard luck situation and do hope it does get better for you.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Threat
Advanced

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
That is the exact problem... We all think. We, the jury of peers, can not accurately assess what actually happened here. Everyone agrees that there is a problem with the transaction that took place between Juan and Jeff. I agree with that. I agree that there should be some form of retribution to correct this matter...
Well it sounds like Juan had a 50/50 chance buying brand new wheels from this guy. Either they were misrepresented, or they were good wheels. But being that Juan said the offset looks so stupid.....how could Jeff not notice the crazy offset they have. Now its so obvious he had to pass his problem to someone else. And Juan was that person. I feel for you Juan, and yes Jeff should give his money back. For that much money I would be paying someone a visit!!!!

Last edited by Threat; 12-22-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:33 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Jeff's explaination seems plausible but I never saw the original post or thread.
The thing I don't understand is why the actual offsets and backspacing weren't correctly represented. It takes a minute w a piece of wood and a ruler to figure it out.

If they weren't honestly represented from the get go then integrity is an issue,
If Jeff said they "should be ok on a this, and Juan took a chance on a that, then here's what you got.

Juan, were the offsets and backspacing ever clearly represented or misrepresented
?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:48 AM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't you just love the way people that have never met the person in question threaten to "Pay a Visit". Give me a break. If you are the guy who got screwed or whatever the case may be that's one thing. Otherwise just read and form your own PRIVATE opinion.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:39 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by LPDesRoche
Don't you just love the way people that have never met the person in question threaten to "Pay a Visit". Give me a break. If you are the guy who got screwed or whatever the case may be that's one thing. Otherwise just read and form your own PRIVATE opinion.
I don't think anyone has threatened to pay anyone a visit - someone said "if it were them it would be worth it to pay a visit." Give me a break and don't misquote people. The bottom line is everyone is entitled to their own opinion private or not and if you "screw someone over" you deserve to be put in front of a "jury" of your peers.

All that said the forum rocks and I've probably bought/sold 25+ different things from/to different people in the last six months without getting a bad deal. A man is only as good as his word.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:58 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by ToyC4
I don't think anyone has threatened to pay anyone a visit - someone said "if it were them it would be worth it to pay a visit." Give me a break and don't misquote people. The bottom line is everyone is entitled to their own opinion private or not and if you "screw someone over" you deserve to be put in front of a "jury" of your peers.
It is not that I disagree with that because this transaction should be brought to other potential buyers attention... however, for others to call Jeff a crook and ***ume that he has intentionally screwed Juan is rediculous. I don't know Jeff and i don't care to know Jeff, but I certainly won't slander the guy for something he did to someone else I don't know or care to know. That was my point from earlier.

If Juan wants to publically call Jeff a crook... then so be it... he is the one who feels he got screwed. So far everyone else agrees with him since Jeff has not taken the time to defend himself but once. Bottom line... these threads should only be used to inform others of a bad situation that takes place since we all trade and deal with each other. It is a place to 'learn' about sellers... because I will think twice about buying something from Jeff.It is not a place to publically flame someone just because someone else is pissed off. Why this hasn't been locked yet is far beyond me...
Old 12-23-2004, 05:54 PM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Jeff did make a reply.
It didn't exonerate him, but it was plausible.
He is reasonably pissed, but didn't really address all of the integrity issues.
If It were me, (and I have sold expensive wheels here and many $$ in other stuff and never been in this position because I disclose everything), I would have gone alot further to defend my disclosure in the transaction.

Again, having never seen the original thread, I can't see to what extent he disclosed the actual offsets and backspacing, or what claims toward fittment he made to entice a buyer.
Juan has been on the list and been buying and selling for a long time. Was he lied to about fittment or did he make incorrect assumptions on the wheel fittment based on truthful information supplied by Jeff?

That is where I consider the rubber meets the road.

Evan

Last edited by DREGSZ; 12-23-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:12 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Jeffvette]Maybe because you are not observant enough to notice they don’t even come close to fitting over these.

I can’t even wedge a penny down in between the spokes and the caliper face.

This isn't even a fikse wheel , is it? Is this a pic of what he sold as fikse?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:53 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 94redrag
This isn't even a fikse wheel , is it? Is this a pic of what he sold as fikse?

No, but it seems what he's saying is the fiske have less clearance than the GS wheels... and he can fit a dime behind the GS wheels.

My question is.... did the fiske's not fit jeff's car because they were the wrong offset? or because of his aftermarket brakes? or both?

And.. if it was because of the offset, did he just assume incorrecty it was just the calipers and that they'd fit another vette fine?

does fiiske change offset by adding material to the mounting surface.. or by just shifting the spokes in/out? See what I'm getting at?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:39 AM
93LT1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jeff
Give the guy back his money and be done with it!!
It's obviously a raw deal. Your excuses will not solve these issues. It's your chance to redeem yourself.

Old 12-24-2004, 07:57 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LPDesRoche
Hey Lee.... I'll pay you a visit!
How the hell you been? Haven't seen you around in awhile. Hope all is well with you.

Now, back to the wheel deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad deal with Jeff Vette part 2!

Old 12-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Lee and Ed, I'd like to pay both of you a visit!

The way I read this whole thing is a s follows:

Jeff lists wheels for sale, he either didn't realize the improper offset was what caused a poor fit with his calipers(as Central Coaster replied).

As Evan stated, he could have got a straight edge and ruler and physically measured the backspacing and offset himself, but how many people actually know the proper way to measure offset? Not saying Jeff doesn't know how, but as for me, I'm just lazy.

Did Juam specifically ask for backspacing and offset? Just because it's for sale on the Corvetteforum doesn't gaurantee they will fit a vette, I have stopped many people from selling non C4 related items and have had to tell hundreds more when they asked me that they can't list any non C4 items.

Wheels are a universal item as long as you have the correct bolt circle,offset and backspacing.

It appears these wheels have the correct bolt circle, but the offset and/or backspacing are incorrect.

Now even Evan was selling wheels here(correct me if I'm wrong), he had 18's in the front and 17's for the rear. Could it be that the wheels Jeff had were a similar type setup to what Evan was running?

I don't remember the size of the wheels that Jeff was selling, but it is a possibility.

I also don't remember if Jeff bought these new or used, but could it be that the previous owner had this acky setup onhis car for a specific reason and didn't disclose this info to Jeff?

We have to come to a compromise here. My choices up for offer are as follows:

a.)Juan returns the wheels for a full refund plus he sends the new cenyer caps and Jeff pays for them

b.)Jeff splits the difference and pays Juan for half the cost of Fikse doing the wheels over with the proper offset.

c.)Juan just writes off the whole thing as a hard lesson learned and forgets the whole thing

d.)We do nothing and keep fighting about who is right or wrong.

Now honestly c.) and d.) are out of the question, I vote for a.) as being the simplest and easiest way out of this mess.

We do need to watch ourselves here, the lynch mob mentaility is showing it's face.

So I propose that Juan and Jeff contact each other(preferably by telephone) and work something out and then tell the story here.

This thread will saty open as long as nobody gets out of line.

I owuld like to hear at least one more reponse from jeff and Juan before I close this.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:24 PM
JUAN J SANCHEZ
Burning Brakes

I have tried to get a hold of Jeff via e-mail with no success regarding this matter. He actually replied to a e-mail I sent him in regards to the offset looking so odd, right before I had tried the wheels on, he said he was gonna look at his invoice from Fikse to tell me the offset, but I had found out about the offset not being normal to a C4 when I registered the wheels with Fikse. Just like all the other times he hasn't gotten back to me. Jeff doesn't seem to be to concerned with the situation, atleast not showing it! I guess he got the wheels off his hands and he got the money! I made a poor decision and considering the results I consider myself lucky that I at least have the wheels ( in great shape, good as new) and I will look into all my options as far as getting some kind of compensation! Again if Jeff would at least reply (too late) in a timely fashion I might feel different! My choices right now are to install the wheels with the current offset (I'll post pics) or Fikse told me for about another $1300 they would correct the offset using some of my existing pieces from my wheels. If jeff wants to take'em back and send the money, no sweat! If he wants to maybe work something else out fine, sooner or later it will get resolved, for all buyers please beware! Thanks for the support guys!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Well Juan this sucks... but you could always file a small claims lawsuit and I believe the issue will be held in the town it was filed so Jeff would have to come to you to defend his actions.

I am not even going to try to sort any of this out but it sounds like a raw deal to me. I am sorry this had to happen, I have had many good deals done by the forum members I have had dealings with so don't let this spoil you from dealing on the forum again. This is still a great place and I trust 99% of the members here.

Quick Reply: Bad deal with Jeff Vette part 2!